WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Ok, I give up. What are matched socks?

Images

They are when you only have one type and color sock.

Costco's "head" brand of socks is not SmartWool. The quality is not even close. Sam's Club's "Omni-wool" however is exactly the same with just a bit more reinforcement in heal to wear longer. Omni-wool is manufactured by Crescent Hosiery of Niota, Tenn. Guess where Smart Wool originated, Crescent Hosiery. Now Smartwool comes from Korea but Omni-wool is still manufactured in Niota. A bargain at Sam's Club and some Outfitters Stores.

J. Potts is of course entitled to his opinion, and I don't want to belabor this business. However, I will say again that the Costco socks I recommended are called "Kirkland Signature Series." I wear them daily and interchangeably with the Smartwools I've bought from LL Bean. Further, some of the Costco socks say "Smartwool" on them just as the official Smartwools do. I like 'em and they're cheap. Try them and decide for yourself. At $2.50/pair there's little penalty attached to the experiment.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
    ....I have to just add that Wal-Mart and Costo should be added to your list of "must check here" places when pricing hiking gear. In some cases, the price is a fraction of what you'd pay at the outfitter.
    I've never been in a Costo -- and like you I can't spell the name. But some things are in fact cheaper at Walmart. Other things are a third more expensive than at your True Value or Ace hardware store -- and for food -- a third more expensive than most good supermarkets, especially for wise shoppers who watch the sales.

I mostly buy Smart Wool socks these days because there is a local store that sells them. I prefer Thorlos, but they are more expensive, and the nearest store is a 60 mile round trip away. Not that I buy many socks these days. Both Thorlos and Smart Wools wear a long time.

Weary

Images

Yesterday
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Where are the glasses I so badly need? What I was trying to say was yesterday I bought 4 pairs of Work Gear socks at Walmart for $10 and they feel great . They wick away moisture and have added cushion in the heal & arch.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

We don't have a Costco around here, so I don't know about their socks. However, I have been buying Omni-wool socks from Sam's for quite a while and I think they are comfortable and well made. They are not very expensive. And I do like the fact that they are made here in the USA by an American company. If we ever get a Costco I might give their socks a try. Anyone know where they make theirs?

/

Trail Bum / Homeless Vet
    Images

I have had some of the crappiest reliability from Smartwools. They seem to last about 150-200 miles it maybe my non domestic side overdrying or something fouling them up. Not sure. Which model Smart Wools I have worn I couldn't tell you. Personally, I would never ever buy another pair they feel great just lack durability. I currently use the Darn Tough brand and 2 pair have shared about 4,000 miles on them one pair getting more use than the other. Bridgedale are supposed to be awesome too never used them myself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gcunnin View Post
    ...And I do like the fact that they are made here in the USA by an American company. If we ever get a Costco I might give their socks a try. Anyone know where they make theirs?
    The Costco/Kirkland label says "Made in USA" ... TWICE.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Default great socks

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    I wandered into Costco this week and found that they're again (still?) selling Smartwool socks under their Kirkland brand as "Outdoor Trail Socks." Four pair for $10.00. Since I wear these almost daily year-round, naturally I grabbed a package and told my wife to wrap them & put them under the tree for me. I bet your honey would like them too!
    These socks are made in Tennessee and sold at their little outlet store The Sock Shop in sweetwater, tn. There are also a few people local to the area selling them on ebay. In the store you can buy 3 pair for 7.99. By the way, this mill used to make socks for smartwool and lost the contract. They started making them as the Head Brand for costco but I think costco now buys them overseas. I have always been able to order directly from the store in sweetwater. If you order some, order a pair of their spa socks for your wife also...they will love them.

Registered User michael rowlands's Avatar
    Images

I am one cheap dude!!!! I hiked the A. T. twice and on my first trip in 1981 smart wool had not been invented. I used rag wool socks and wore out 5 or six pairs on that trip. On my second trip I used smart wool with liner socks. I did the entire trip with two pair of smart wool socks. I used other wool socks to suppliment the two when they were wet or drying but I estiment walking 17-18 hundred miles with the two pair of Smart wool. When I bought the two pair of Smart Wool socks I was told if I wore them out they would replace them. Well this cheap dude got two new pair of socks from the same outfitter when he got home. I paid 16 buck for each pair of socks and they were worth every penny of it. You get alot more wear on them if you use the thin nylon liners. Rowmin Goat....................

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Worldwide View Post
    I have had some of the crappiest reliability from Smartwools. They seem to last about 150-200 miles it maybe my non domestic side overdrying or something fouling them up. Not sure. Which model Smart Wools I have worn I couldn't tell you. Personally, I would never ever buy another pair they feel great just lack durability. I currently use the Darn Tough brand and 2 pair have shared about 4,000 miles on them one pair getting more use than the other. Bridgedale are supposed to be awesome too never used them myself.
    Wool, unlike its competitors is a natural fiber and does not last as long as fibers made from oil. Afterall, oil has remained in the ground for a billion years, plus or minus.

But it remains true that the most comfortable socks combine a mixture of oil based fibrics and natural fibrics.

Thorlos do this, which given that they are made in this country, and the fact that they last almost forever, they are what I buy, these days.

Weary

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

I've bought the Costco brand of smartwool sox the past 2 years. At my local store they take them off the floor after winter though, so I need to go back and get another pack soon.

When people ask about my mis matched socks I always reply,

"They aren't mis matched, I have a pair just like these somewhere at home."

Hi

I didn't want to make a new thread, so thought I'd post in this one.

Can anyone comment on the comfort in terms of hiking for these kirkland brand wool socks as compared to smartwoold hiking mediums?

thanks

I've found them to be a very acceptable lower cost substitute. For me Darn Tough is tops but, of course, four times as expensive. I have both in my drawer and mostly wear the cheap ones daily, saving the DTs for hiking. But yes, they would serve just fine as daily long distance socks.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++