WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 28 of 142 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Scott Jurek's Daily Log:

Day 1 (May 27): Unicoi Gap -- 52.9 miles (started at 5:56 AM)
    Day 2 (May 28): Rock Gap -- 53.2 miles (106.1 total) [+7.4 to JPD]
    Day 3 (May 29): Yellow Creek Gap -- 52.2 miles (158.3 total) [+7.6 to JPD]
    Day 4 (May 30): Newfound Gap -- 49.0 miles (207.3 total) [+7.9 to JPD]
    Day 5 (May 31): Lemon Gap -- 52.7 miles (260.0 total) [+14.3 to JPD]
    Day 6 (June 1): Devil Fork Gap -- 49.9 miles (309.9 total) [+14.1 to JPD]
    Day 7 (June 2): Erwin -- 33.1 miles (343.0 total) [Even with JPD]
    Day 8 (June 3): Carvers Gap -- 36.0 miles (379.0 total) [-11.8 to JPD]
    Day 9 (June 4): Dennis Cove Road -- 39.5 miles (418.5 total) [-17.7 to JPD]
    Day 10 (June 5): Damascus -- 50.6 miles (469.1 total) [-16.9 to JPD]
    Day 11 (June 6): VA 603 -- 41.1 miles (510.2 total) [-21.4 to JPD]
    Day 12 (June 7): VA 625 -- 51.8 miles (562.0 total) [-20.5 to JPD]
    Day 13 (June 8): Dismal Falls side trail -- 48.4 miles (610.4 total) [-24.5 to JPD]
    Day 14 (June 9): VA 613 -- 51.6 miles (662.1 total) [-20.8 to JPD]
    Day 15 (June 10): VA 311 -- 45.9 miles (708.0 total) [-21.9 to JPD]
    Day 16 (June 11): VA 614 -- 48.1 miles (756.1 total) [-26.3 to JPD]
    Day 17 (June 12): US 60 -- 50.3 miles (806.4 total) [-25.4 to JPD]
    Day 18 (June 13): Humpback Gap -- 48.7 miles (855.1 total) [-30.3 to JPD]
    Day 19 (June 14): Skyline Dr. Mile 66.7 -- 50.7 miles (905.8 total) [-26.4 to JPD]
    Day 20 (June 15): Hogwallow Gap -- 54.2 miles (960.0 total) [-24.6 to JPD]
    Day 21 (June 16): Keys Gap -- 57.1 miles (1017.1 total) [-16.3 to JPD]
    Day 22 (June 17): PA 16 -- 49.8 miles (1066.9 total) [-19.4 to JPD]
    Day 23 (June 18): Boiling Springs -- 54.4 miles (1121.3 total) [-16.6 to JPD]
    Day 24 (June 19): Greenpoint School Rd. -- 59.2 miles (1180.5 total) [-11.0 to JPD]
    Day 25 (June 20): Hawk Mtn. Road -- 51.8 miles (1232.3 total) [-9.3 to JPD]
    Day 26 (June 21): Wind Gap PA -- 45.5 miles (1277.8 total) [-8.6 to JPD]
    Day 27 (June 22): High Point Monument -- 59.5 miles (1337.3 total) [-1.8 to JPD]
    Day 28 (June 23): NY 17 (Arden) -- 46.4 miles (1383.7 total) [-0.4 to JPD]
    Day 29 (June 24): Stormville Mtn. Rd. -- 51.6 miles (1435.3 total) [+1.4 to JPD]
    Day 30 (June 25): Sharon Mtn. Rd. -- 49.7 miles (1485.0 total) [+2.0 to JPD]
    Day 31 (June 26): Beartown Mtn. Rd. -- 50.1 miles (1535.1 total) [+5.7 to JPD]
    Day 32 (June 27): Mount Greylock -- 51.2 miles (1586.3 total) [+7.7 to JPD]
    Day 33 (June 28): Stratton-Arlington Rd. -- 47.3 miles (1633.6 total) [+8.2 to JPD]
    Day 34 (June 29): VT 103 -- 49.9 miles (1683.5 total) [+14.6 to JPD]
    Day 35 (June 30): Joe Ranger Rd. -- 50.4 miles (1733.9 total) [+23.0 to JPD]
    Day 36 (July 1): NH 25A -- 46.7 miles (1780.6 total) [+33.6 to JPD]
    Day 37 (July 2): Galehead Hut -- 48.5 miles (1829.1 total) [+38.8 to JPD]
    Day 38 (July 3): Mizpah Spring Hut -- 21.1 miles (1850.2 total) [+21.8 to JPD]
    Day 39 (July 4): Imp Shelter -- 32.7 miles (1882.9 total) [+26.6 to JPD]
    Day 40 (July 5): Full Goose Shelter -- 29.4 miles (1912.3 total) [+21.4 to JPD]
    Day 41 (July 6): South Arm Rd. -- 30.1 miles (1942.4 total) [+20.4 to JPD]
    Day 42 (July 7): Spaulding Mtn. Lean-to -- 45.1 miles (1987.5 total) [+26.6 to JPD]
    Day 43 (July 8): Main Logging Rd. -- 41.9 miles (2029.4 total) [+28.4 to JPD]

As others have noted he hiked until 5:09 AM on Day 37.

Do you suppose he's doing work-for-stay at Galehead Hut?
    That could slow him down.
    Last edited by map man; 07-09-2015 at 08:02.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

[QUOTE
    i wouldnt be surprised if he sleeps all day today and then announces its over, honestly. the other feasible option at this point it would seem is to try and make pinkham today, but on what, 2 hours sleep? 3? or stop at mt washington? my guess would be mt washington. he tires to make pinkham today he really will be done i think.[/QUOTE]

He won't call it until he finishes the trail. Even if he falls out of reach of the record, he will still summit Katahdin.

He's moving now! What are your predictions?

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois View Post
    [QUOTE
    i wouldnt be surprised if he sleeps all day today and then announces its over, honestly. the other feasible option at this point it would seem is to try and make pinkham today, but on what, 2 hours sleep? 3? or stop at mt washington? my guess would be mt washington. he tires to make pinkham today he really will be done i think.
    He won't call it until he finishes the trail. Even if he falls out of reach of the record, he will still summit Katahdin.[/QUOTE]
    He's not calling it quits today & doesn't appear to be sleeping either. I 'm becoming obsessed.... I need to step away from the screen and go for a run!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Supported trail running is not backpacking. It is a different sport but carried out on the same trail. I'm not sure why backpackers like myself can't follow and admire Jurek's progress just like I might admire a world class tennis player at Wimbledon.
    Yup. How many non-women and non-soccer players are enjoying the Women's World Cup? Go USA

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    About two weeks prior to Scott's start on the AT, American ultra-runner Joe Fejes set the American Record for the 6-day by running 606+ miles. http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_re...thread=6496518

Yes, this was on much easier terrain and not after 5 weeks of daily hiking/running in the 40s-50s mpd range. But it's a recent and an amazing example of what the human body is capable of with little sleep....
    And that's why I believe will see more of this type of speed hiking(RUNNING) strategy especially on shorter FKT attempts like trails/routes under 300 miles... the JMT, LT, etc....participants who can maintain 60+, 70 + mpd avgs will trade the sleep possibly even going entirely sleepless over 2-3 days in exchange for the increased mileage and shorter FKTs. Many FKTers on trails/routes/yo yos of 150 mile or shorter lengths just hike/run all the way through already. Could save wt on unsupported attempts in that sleeping gear, shelter, food etc wt can be avoided too.

*BTW, it definitely IS NOT hiking or backpacking anymore though. It's trail running. All these FKTs will eventually be running records not hiking records. Let's STOP calling it speed hiking! It's trail running.....on what has traditionally been hiking trails.

Beep Beep coming through. All trail runners must wear optic yellow apparel and employ a mandatory horn to let others know they are coming through!

I don't even know all the rules of soccer but I still enjoy the athleticism and non stop action of World Cup Soccer even in non USA matches. * I especially appreciate the VERY LIMITED short time outs and commercial advertising compared to the other BIG 3 US sports* These people both men and women are athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Looks like he finished at Galehead Hut at 5:09 this morning. It'll be interesting to see what time he gets started today.
    It shows he started this AM around 9 AM, so maybe he did get a little sleep. He just passed summit of South Twin Mtn.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    ...BTW, it definitely IS NOT hiking or backpacking anymore though. It's trail running. All these FKTs will eventually be running records not hiking records. Let's STOP calling it speed hiking! It's trail running.....on what has traditionally been hiking trails.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jennifer Pharr Davis basically HIKE the entire trail and not run very much? Something in my memory says this...

And that's why I believe will see more of this type of speed hiking(RUNNING) strategy especially on shorter FKT attempts like trails/routes under 300 miles... the JMT, LT, etc....participants who can maintain 60+, 70 + mpd avgs will trade the sleep possibly even going entirely sleepless over 2-3 days in exchange for the increased mileage and shorter FKTs. Many FKTers on trails/routes/yo yos of 150 mile or shorter lengths just hike/run all the way through already. Could save wt on unsupported attempts in that sleeping gear, shelter, food etc wt can be avoided too.

*BTW, it definitely IS NOT hiking or backpacking anymore though. It's trail running. All these FKTs will eventually be running records not hiking records. Let's STOP calling it speed hiking! It's trail running.....on what has traditionally been hiking trails.

Beep Beep coming through. All trail runners must wear optic yellow apparel and employ a mandatory horn to let others know they are coming through!
    But isn't this why they keep supposed and self supported records? Wouldn't you still consider a self supported FKT to be backpacking?

[/QUOTE]Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jennifer Pharr Davis basically HIKE the entire trail and not run very much? Something in my memory says this...[/QUOTE]

According to what she's said during her speaking tour is that she walked the whole trail and didn't run. I don't think a supported thru-hike and thru-run makes much of a difference. A FKT was JPD's goal and [is] Scott's.

From Scott's Facebook page: "Appalachian Trail Day 38: Twenty minute predawn cat nap after an epic all-nighter from NH 25A to Galehead Hut in the White Mountains, 48.4 miles. Surreal traveling over granite mountains under a waning moon. Good times with Timmy O'Neill, Andrew Drummond and former AT FKT record holder Andrew Thompson who joined us for some miles and imparted his sage wisdom. Huge thank you to the guys who found us on the trail bearing gifts of avocado maki and vegan pizza!"

looks like he had a couple guides for his all night hike. Pacers can make all the difference when you are running through the night.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jennifer Pharr Davis basically HIKE the entire trail and not run very much? Something in my memory says this...
    That's what I recall. I believe that she is very tall, has long strides and can keep up a very fast pace without actually running.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jennifer Pharr Davis basically HIKE the entire trail and not run very much? Something in my memory says this...[/QUOTE]

According to what she's said during her speaking tour is that she walked the whole trail and didn't run. I don't think a supported thru-hike and thru-run makes much of a difference. A FKT was JPD's goal and [is] Scott's.[/QUOTE]
    This has been discussed here before and there are several eyewitnesses who saw her running at times.

Couldn't agree more. First we crawl, then we walk, then we run (I know I know, some of you said your mother told you skipped crawling and walking and went straight to running right outta of the womb, it happens ) The Olympics has an event of speed walking, it's a completely different event than running. Traditional backpacking to my way of thinking couldn't be further from speed hiking than a sprint is to a marathon. Call it what it is. It ain't hikin'

the AT is a footpath. not a hiking trail, backpacking trail, running trail, etc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Couldn't agree more. First we crawl, then we walk, then we run (I know I know, some of you said your mother told you skipped crawling and walking and went straight to running right outta of the womb, it happens ) The Olympics has an event of speed walking, it's a completely different event than running. Traditional backpacking to my way of thinking couldn't be further from speed hiking than a sprint is to a marathon. Call it what it is. It ain't hikin'
    The mind boggles. I gotta chime in one more time on this silly drift... if the current record holder, JPD, basically hiked the trail most of the way very, very quickly (with apparently only a bit of running), WHY wouldn't this be called speed hiking???? I do agree it's not "backpacking" but just cannot believe one wouldn't call it "speed hiking" ?????????????????

The mind boggles. I gotta chime in one more time on this silly drift... if the current record holder, JPD, basically hiked the trail most of the way very, very quickly (with apparently only a bit of running), WHY wouldn't this be called speed hiking???? I do agree it's not "backpacking" but just cannot believe one wouldn't call it "speed hiking" ?????????????????
    I agree, it is speed hiking. not hiking. I think its about a mind set mostly, again, to my way of thinking, not ll will agree. I still like following along, I just choose to look at it as something different than what I came to this site for, backpacking, not suggesting it doesn't belong here, but they are two very different things.

Images

Going with little if any sleep on trails such as the JMT are already the standard.

I wouldnt worry too much about his longer days. if any type of athlete can do it, it is someone with his experience. This isn't his first long run, may be his longest, but not his first.

Actually, Jennifer said she ran about 25 percent of the time near the end on her 2008 attempt according to an interview she gave to Blue Ridge Outdoor Mag.
    What was the daily balance between running and speed hiking?
    The running picked up gradually through the end of the hike. Maine and New Hampshire were very humbling, so I wasn’t able to do much running, but the trail gets gradually better going south. At the end I was doing a lot more running, but it never exceeded 25 percent of my daily mileage.

So, it's really a combination of hiking and running.

Page 28 of 142 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 128 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++