WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 65 of 134 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 75 115 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 2679

Oh, and remember, this mystery call came in just 4 hours after George reported Gerry missing. Way before it was widely known that she had not shown up as expected.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Carlson View Post
    Good News! They are continuing the search for Gerry with search dogs according to the news article posted tonight http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/S...ne-Largay.html
    From the article which does not mention the hikers that supposedly saw here on Lone Mt., "
    We’ve talked to people claming to see (Largay), and it wasn’t her,” MacDonald said."

"Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Oh, and remember, this mystery call came in just 4 hours after George reported Gerry missing. Way before it was widely known that she had not shown up as expected.
    Is that true? If so, I'd be surprised that authorities aren't looking more closely at this mystery caller, since this new article seems to imply that they know who the caller is.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Carlson View Post
    You are right. According to Attroll another text is received at 10:30 but she does not answer.
    Who was the text message from that Gerry received at 10:30 am the morning she disappeared? Did the texting person want her to meet up somewhere? Is there a road near the AT before the hike up Lone Mountain? It seems like she had to have disappeared before Ivanich would catch up to her and before 3 pm when Crunchmaster was descending Lone Mountian. Otherwise Crunchmaster would have seen 2 NOBO solo female hikers that day headed to Spaulding Mountain Leanto.

I hope she is okay.God bless her and keep her safe.

That was Crunchmaster and his 2 friends. Unless others thought they saw her too. I believe in the "recant" interview, the wardens stated that the hiker they originally identified as being Inchworm was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    From the article which does not mention the hikers that supposedly saw here on Lone Mt., "
    We’ve talked to people claming to see (Largay), and it wasn’t her,” MacDonald said."

Going back to the mystery caller. The other piece of that call that makes no sense to me, is that the caller stated she was SOBO. This call was made at 6pm on Wednesday night. George reported Gerry missing approx. 1:30pm - just hours earlier. How could a SOBO that supposedly spent Tuesday night with Gerry at Spaulding - just the night before - know that Gerry was even missing (no hikers on the trail would know that), and secondly get 20 miles into town (Rangeley?) and here the news and call by 6pm? It doesn't add up. That would mean that Sue at the motel got ALL the information wrong. Doubtful.

That was Crunchmaster and his 2 friends. Unless others thought they saw her too. I believe in the "recant" interview, the wardens stated that the hiker they originally identified as being Inchworm was not.

Going back to the mystery caller. The other piece of that call that makes no sense to me, is that the caller stated she was SOBO. This call was made at 6pm on Wednesday night. George reported Gerry missing approx. 1:30pm - just hours earlier. How could a SOBO that supposedly spent Tuesday night with Gerry at Spaulding - just the night before - know that Gerry was even missing (no hikers on the trail would know that), and secondly get 20 miles into town (Rangeley?) and here the news and call by 6pm? It doesn't add up. That would mean that Sue at the motel got ALL the information wrong. Doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post

While I have always found this "mystery caller" business suspicious, I don't think we can assume from what has been published that the mystery caller actually knew Gerry was missing. I think that it's plausible that after spending the night at the shelter with Gerry, Gerry asked this woman -- for some reason (her phone wasn't working, no reception, etc.) -- to call the hotel in Stratton on her behalf.

Personally, I've always thought that the mystery caller was an intentional attempt to throw everyone off track or to set up some sort of alibi. But I watch a lot of crime shows.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I received some more information from my reliable source today, which I can’t name. I have to paraphrase what was said. This is the Maine Warden replying here.

Yes we did ask Ivanich and she never saw Gerry on the trail, and we have not found anybody, other than the boys if they are correct, that did see her on the trail that Monday.

I have not been on that section of trail yet but for her most of it would have been downhill for her, Kladiscope described it as a little scary, but then she added it was nothing like coming down to Caribou Pond Road along that steep area. A lot of the guys describe most of it as being open beside the trail. I have asked about scenic step offs and areas like that and I am not hearing about any. Although if you pull up aerials on Google maps or Bing I can see granite out cropping’s on the south side that look like cliffs to me.

My strategy going forward is after talking with the person again about the cell phone coverage. Which she would have had coverage up at Popular Lean to and couple other places coming North on the trail, is if you remember the cell phone ping from George sent on Monday about 1420 hours and her cell phone received, there is also another text received at 1030 she receives but does not answer. The cell phone company is guessing where that is, but if you remember the green band, about 120 degrees wide, Lenny had on the map that indicated that is most likely where the cell phone was at the time.
    I think she would have answered both those text if she had stopped on the trail and took out her phone, so I am thinking something happens where she cannot get to her phone but it is on, I cannot remember where she carried her phone, but it indicates to me that she is SOMEWHERE in that green band or at least her cell phone is, which I believe is with her.

So I talked with another person and he has the Cell phone data on his computer and we are looking at areas within the green band that need further searching, one big area that stands out to me is south of the AT near poplar, we have not had anyone in there, it is quite possible now that something happened to her on this section of trail and most of it is within this green band. That is where most of the search effort will be Thursday.

When we are done I will get a map again. I cannot be there Thursday but two others will be there along with other local wardens who are very familiar with case and area. It will be a long day again and they have to get people in 2 different ways to the areas we want to cover, they both involve long drives and walking a couple miles into the search area.
    Did George ever try again to call or text Gerry after his text to her at 1420 (2:20 pm) on Monday, the day she went missing? If my partner didn't call or text within a reasonable amount of time, I would keep trying to reach them.

But that's just it - she didn't spend the night with Gerry!! If she had spent Monday at Poplar instead of Tues. at Spaulding, Gerry wouldn't have needed anyone to contact George, she wasn't behind schedule, and if it were Monday at Poplar, then the caller would have called the motel on Tues., not wait until Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    While I have always found this "mystery caller" business suspicious, I don't think we can assume from what has been published that the mystery caller actually knew Gerry was missing. I think that it's plausible that after spending the night at the shelter with Gerry, Gerry asked this woman -- for some reason (her phone wasn't working, no reception, etc.) -- to call the hotel in Stratton on her behalf.

Personally, I've always thought that the mystery caller was an intentional attempt to throw everyone off track or to set up some sort of alibi. But I watch a lot of crime shows.
    As to more calls from George, I don't think that's necessarily info that needs to be released to the public. I know where you're coming from, and I've wondered the same, but to say one way or another opens a "pandora's box". I'm certain the wardens have that info.

I’m probably wrong, but the way I read this article, several things stand out—
    Quoting,... and the caps are mine…
    “We will continue to search as long as we can REASONABLY BELIEVE that we can find something,” Cpl. John MacDonald said on Thursday.” And,... “MacDonald said dozens of them (hikers) have called with potential tips, SOME OF WHICH HAVE BEEN HELPFUL, while others prove to be fruitless.”

So that makes me wonder if they have some new lead they aren’t admitting. This article makes me feel like they are pursuing the idea of foul play more than they had been before.

The poster wording is new, at least to me, stating “if you come across ITEMS” (my caps),… NOT,.. if you come across HER. And it continues on, “don’t collect or disturb, but do photograph, flag area”, etc.

I don’t believe you can take what they say here word for word, either. Potential reporter error, and I’m hoping and assuming the authorities are keeping some things close to the vest. The implication is that they know who the mystery caller is, but that could be put there to sweat someone out. Or maybe they know. But I’m not buying that Sue has not a clue what she heard in the phone call and reported it all wrong.

Another quote I found interesting is, "We've talked to people claiming to see (Largay), and it wasn't her," MacDonald said."

Yes, that has to be Crunchmaster and the other two guys, and is the first time I have heard it stated EMPHATICALLY it was not Gerry. To me, that has to lay to rest any potential she made it even as far as Lone, since Crunchmaster was SOBO.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by muddy boots View Post
    Yes, that has to be Crunchmaster and the other two guys, and is the first time I have heard it stated EMPHATICALLY it was not Gerry. To me, that has to lay to rest any potential she made it even as far as Lone, since Crunchmaster was SOBO.
    The most important piece of information, and the first thing you need to know in a S&R situation is the Point Last Seen (PLS). Your search is based on that piece of information. If you start off with bad information than you're searching the wrong area. Interviews with hikers placed the PLS on Lone Mt so the search was mainly north of there. The actual PLS is Poplar Ridge LT several trail miles south.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Precisely.... and you can't blame Crunchmaster and his buddies. They were probably asked if they happen to see an older woman hiking alone between Spaulding and Poplar. At 19yo, isn't everyone older?!? Honestly, they were just trying to help. The call on the other hand was unfortunate to say the least. I've believed from the beginning that it was a ruse, and until I hear concrete evidence to prove otherwise, I'll continue to believe that.

I've been studying the Maine Appalachian Trail Club map for that area. If Gerry went missing off the trail on her own (I don't believe that either), and left the trail down near the Orbeton Stream area, there are 3 road crossings on her right-hand side. After wandering for days, I would have to believe she'd hit one of those roads even accidentally. There's not as much on her left-hand side (the SERE side), but if she did leave the trail on that side of the AT and had a compass and thought she should be following it North, she would infact be traveling away from the AT at a right-angle, going further into the wilderness.

The whole situation is tragic.

DonH - sounded like you know some about search dogs, is there much chance of them picking up a scent after more than a month???

The most important piece of information, and the first thing you need to know in a S&R situation is the Point Last Seen (PLS). Your search is based on that piece of information. If you start off with bad information than you're searching the wrong area. Interviews with hikers placed the PLS on Lone Mt so the search was mainly north of there. The actual PLS is Poplar Ridge LT several trail miles south.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

About a month, depending on weather. Some dogs are better than others, just depends on their training and natural abilities.
    However cadaver dogs can pick up on remains for many years.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I find it odd that the mystery caller would ID themselves as a SOBO (do we know for sure this is true?) -- why would that be important information for George to know if all is well? If you're a NOBO hiker that was trying to buy time because you committed a crime and you knew Gerry was going to meet her husband at a certain place, you might call and claim you were a SOBO hiker and that Gerry was simply late but would be along in due time which is exactly what happened. But what I find most disturbing about the mystery call is that no one (the caller or Gerry) attempted to call George. Even if George was out of service range, a message could be left for him. If I was trying to get my spouse, I would try them many times and leave messages before I would call a nearby motel, and if I instructed somone to call for me, I would first have them try my spouse directly..... Just sayin'.
    "To take risks is to live, to be always safe and secure is certain death" - Edward Abbey

We don't even know if the mystery caller was a hiker at all. The authorities may know, but there's no evidence that's been released to the public to confirm this. Or the caller may not be connected to the disappearance of Gerry at all. Some people just like to get in on the action and call in tips even when they're completely fabricated.

We don't even know if the mystery caller was a hiker at all. The authorities may know, but there's no evidence that's been released to the public to confirm this. Or the caller may not be connected to the disappearance of Gerry at all. Some people just like to get in on the action and call in tips even when they're completely fabricated.
    We had heard that the call had been dismissed at one point which would certainly suggest it might have been someone trying to "get in on the action". But MacDonald's recent quote, assuming reported correctly, certainly suggests it is/or was central to the investigation and was placed by a hiker.
    "To take risks is to live, to be always safe and secure is certain death" - Edward Abbey

Something else that doesn't add up is is that when Gerry didn't show up at Wyman Twp. on Tuesday (July 23), George figured she took a zero day (with the all day rain) and waited out the rain at Spaulding Mountain Lean To. George then waited until Wednesday for her and then reported her missing at somewhere around 1:30 that Wednesday. If Gerry only hikes 1 mph and she had 13.5 miles to hike, and the trail would have been muddy from the all day rain Tuesday, would she not have arrived at Wyman Twp around 8 pm if she had left at 7 am?

I always discounted the idea that the caller was attention-seeking because the call was made sometime Wednesday. At that point Gerry wasn't really considered "missing", just "late".

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I received some more information from my reliable source today, which I can’t name. I have to paraphrase what was said. This is the Maine Warden replying here.

Yes we did ask Ivanich and she never saw Gerry on the trail, and we have not found anybody, other than the boys if they are correct, that did see her on the trail that Monday.

I have not been on that section of trail yet but for her most of it would have been downhill for her, Kladiscope described it as a little scary, but then she added it was nothing like coming down to Caribou Pond Road along that steep area. A lot of the guys describe most of it as being open beside the trail. I have asked about scenic step offs and areas like that and I am not hearing about any. Although if you pull up aerials on Google maps or Bing I can see granite out cropping’s on the south side that look like cliffs to me.

My strategy going forward is after talking with the person again about the cell phone coverage. Which she would have had coverage up at Popular Lean to and couple other places coming North on the trail, is if you remember the cell phone ping from George sent on Monday about 1420 hours and her cell phone received, there is also another text received at 1030 she receives but does not answer. The cell phone company is guessing where that is, but if you remember the green band, about 120 degrees wide, Lenny had on the map that indicated that is most likely where the cell phone was at the time.
    I think she would have answered both those text if she had stopped on the trail and took out her phone, so I am thinking something happens where she cannot get to her phone but it is on, I cannot remember where she carried her phone, but it indicates to me that she is SOMEWHERE in that green band or at least her cell phone is, which I believe is with her.

So I talked with another person and he has the Cell phone data on his computer and we are looking at areas within the green band that need further searching, one big area that stands out to me is south of the AT near poplar, we have not had anyone in there, it is quite possible now that something happened to her on this section of trail and most of it is within this green band. That is where most of the search effort will be Thursday.

When we are done I will get a map again. I cannot be there Thursday but two others will be there along with other local wardens who are very familiar with case and area. It will be a long day again and they have to get people in 2 different ways to the areas we want to cover, they both involve long drives and walking a couple miles into the search area.
    According to attroll "cell phone ping from George sent on Monday about 1420 hours and her cell phone received".
    I found this email from George sent to his ministry leaders from his church and posted by "AngelMom" from another blog spot. I have attached this post. It states by George that 2:15 pm today (posted August 5) will be 2 weeks since I had my last contact from Gerry (a text). Isn't it kind of important what this text said???? That was their last reported communication.
    angelmomemailfromGeorge.jpg

Page 65 of 134 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 75 115 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++