I can't say that I'm excited to be purchasing a new tent for the AT (because of the money), but I am excited to be purchasing a new tent for the AT (because I like new things). Confused yet? Good.

I've always used conventional tents, with the exception of survival training, even on long distance treks. The idea of tarp tenting is intriguing, but I don't know anything about tarp tents that are manufactured as such and not just some improvised shelter made from a tarp or poncho.

I'm trying not to break the bank when buying this new tent that I need (my lightest one is a 5 pound Eureka! and it is bulky) but the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 1's are appealing. The platinum version looks very appealing given it's pack weight. The price... not so much. (unless I buy used... which I'm not apposed to if this wasn't such a long distance endeavor and I don't want a small tear that I can't see becoming a big problem later on.)

Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of tarp tenting vs conventional tenting?

Also can you point me in the direction of some light (yet relatively inexpensive) options for tarp tents?

Thanks!