WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

Right on, Dahoyt. I hope all goes according to plan, and that we cross paths.
    (I am bummed we'll miss the concluding stages of the World Cup, but that's my world.)
    I am interested in your gear choices, however, as I have never hiked through "three seasons" before.
    All the best 'til July,
    Nick (Spinoza)

Journal Entries

All the best!
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by scs View Post
    Another MEGA checking in.

I'm planning to leave around July 4th, and I'm already counting down the days! Hope to see some of y'all out there.
    I have one of those apps for my phone that does a countdown - 216 days until I start - yikes!

More interesting - this is the time of year when I will be finishing (if all goes well and I don't break something). So a year from now I'll be back on my home territory.

I've done Springer to Harpers Ferry in three sections and I'm thinking I'll try to complete the north half in 2-3 sections going south and start the first week in June...hope to cross paths and break bread (or raiman noodles) with some of you.

Images

I'm planning to start from Big K around May 20. I'll try to clean up the winter damage for y'all. Can't wait to ford some of those raging spring creeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    I'm planning to start from Big K around May 20. I'll try to clean up the winter damage for y'all. Can't wait to ford some of those raging spring creeks.
    That is early - hope Katahdin is open for you!

I'm going SOBO in May, my partner is getting out of the military and we plan to leave Maine as soon as soon as he's ready. I'm nervous but cannot wait to get on the trail and make the jourey.

I might actually start middle of June, I wanna be with the hiker bubble, and seems as though that is when most people are heading out roughly. I plan on staying in town as little as possible, drinking very little, and only splurging on food, to save on money, and have a cushion of cash at all times in case anything comes up. So excited to leave, glad to be a SOBO and in the route less taken with you all, its an honor. Feel free to friend me on here, and keep in touch, anyone wanna start together, let me know, open to starting with someone, or a group. I realize I will most likely meet people on the trail, but trying to line something up ahead of time. Anyone else reusing old gear as much as possible to save money? I am, it will cost me a few pounds in weight but willing to give that up to have more money. I don't wanna be one of those people to get off the trail because of lack of cash...

Hey everybody. I'm planning on setting out SOBO around mid to late May right after my umaine graduation. I live here in Maine, and I've hiked Katahdin three times already so I'll be starting just outside Baxter State Park. No need to wait til the park officially opens for the season. Currently it looks like I'll be going solo, get away from the world and back into the woods for a while before grad school. Anyone else in a similar boat? Recent college grads that is.

Images

Hey guys, I'm planning to summit Katahdin June 11 so I guess that puts me right in the middle of the SOBO bubble. Like Zeke I'll also be a recent college grad except I'm from and go to school in Pennsylvania. My hometown is only 10 mins from halfway so whoever is with me around then, get excited for home cooked meals and comfy place to sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by keystone_alex View Post
    Hey guys, I'm planning to summit Katahdin June 11 so I guess that puts me right in the middle of the SOBO bubble. Like Zeke I'll also be a recent college grad except I'm from and go to school in Pennsylvania. My hometown is only 10 mins from halfway so whoever is with me around then, get excited for home cooked meals and comfy place to sleep!
    I"ll make sure to be conveniently nearby Keystone_Alex haha.

Also, I live 10 minutes from the trail in Rutland, Vermont, so whoever is around is also welcome to come to my place for a few days and rest up, home cooked meals, the works!

Going SOBO and planning on starting the week of June 15th. I live in VA and get as much time on the trail as I can, but I'm excited to finally see the rest of it!

I'm hoping to start sometime the first week of June. I know the bugs will be savage, but I'm hoping water levels won't be too high. I'm expecting to be fairly slow, but I'll be sure to wave as you all pass by!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by virginia jen View Post
    I'm Jen. No trail name yet.
    Starting June 6th, going southbound.
    I've hiked a couple hundred miles of the trail at home in Virginia, and can't wait to see what the rest of it holds
    Your trail name could be D-Day. June 6th is the day the Allies invaded Germany-held mainland Europe via the English Channel during WWII.

My plans have changed tonight from a '15 nobo to '14 sobo hike. I will be leaving roughly June 12-15th. This will be my first long distance trip but I will be in good shape for it. My biggest concern is I've lived my past 10 years in Hawaii, so I'm a bit worried about the cold. All of my planning thus far has been for a nobo hike, and need to fine tune the change of direction and adjust gear accordingly.

I did another shakedown hike, this time for the end of my SOBO hike - the Smokies in December. I'm hoping to be done before then next year, but who knows. Was out 5 days, did about 66 miles. It was cold, wet, dark. Saw, rain, snow, high winds, but also some clear blue skies. Temps from 25 to 45. A very typical trip through the smokies this time of year.

The main difficulty (besides the wet and cold) is that there just isn't much daylight to hike in. I always feel like I have to keep moving as long as the sun is up to make any decent miles.

Trip report here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=440185

Forrest

Fellow SOBOers: Hope to join the 2014 class of you guys (and gals). Not sure yet of my start date. Depends on a few things outside my control, but shooting for late-June or early-July (too bad our window of opportunity for starting is so short).

Looks like I may be one of the older ones in the Class of 2014, but that only translates as a challenge for me, nothing near to being a showstopper. I'm in pretty good physical shape for my age I think. (Though I can be unrealistically overconfident at times!) But I also have a very powerful motivation for doing an AT thru-hike, and I understand that usually trumps one's physical condition. (Hint: my trail name will be either "Colin's Dad" or "Colin's Pilgrim" and my current favorite song is Jackson Browne's For A Dancer; more on my motivation later in my yet-to-be-created Trail Journal.)

Like many who hike the AT—as I have gathered from my readings (several books and scores of Trail Journals)—I will be seeking answers to some difficult existential questions. Also somewhat typical (as I have gathered from my readings as well), I am somewhat religious, but more in the New England Transcendentalist fashion than in the Christian fundamentalist one (though I do consider myself to be a Christian).

Well, so much for a short intro. Hope to cross paths with many of you eccentric folks next year! (Doesn't one have to be somewhat eccentric by definition to attempt a thru-hike of the AT?)

Forrest: I read with great interest the reports of your two shakedown hikes, in Maine last June and in the Smokies this month. Lots of important things to consider in both reports.

Nick P: I also read with great interest your report of your recent hike on the southern AT (Dec. 5th Trail Journals) and the psychological challenges you encountered being a lone hiker. I'm sure loneliness will be a significant challenge for all of us SOBOers, social animals that we are!

I always thought the idea of SOBO the AT and spending New years day on Springer was pretty cool, when i do another AT thru it will be a SOBO. GOOD LUCK and HAPPY TRAILS to every one. RED-DOG

MikeN: Welcome to the lonely Southbounders group. 66 is not old. I'm on the verge of the big 6-0 in a few days. I'm definitely feeling my age though. I'm not starting until July 12, so maybe our paths will cross at some point.

No difficult existential questions for me. The only deep thoughts I have while hiking are about my past - and my family's past. Mostly it's shallow thoughts, like trying to remember song lyrics or book/movie plots or odd bits of poetry. And there are always earworms to keep me occupied...

Forrest

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++