WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Not sure if it was mentioned already, sorry if it has.

Shug's video and others I have talked to mentioned using your self inflator (or neo-air) and letting a good portion of the air out to improve your chances of staying on it. CCF, especially with the Speer shoulder and hip wings, seems to be the best in a hammock, but not so good if you choose to go to ground.

Try your pad at half flaccid; Like any hammock it's easier to keep your banana inside if it's not rock hard.

Journal Entries

I use a Spear hammock with a Big Agnes insulated mattress (not fully inflated) and find it to be very comfortable and warm. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    I found bivysack.com; Oware Foam Sleeping Pads 3/16" Thick 4 sizes including long and double wide
    Perfect for in hammocks for insulation that wraps around your sides and insulates you from the hammock fabric. R value .99 for 3/16" thick. Closed cell foam, waterproof to 3500 mm.
    Free shipping. Lighter than Evazote for the warmth.
    I just purchased the 3/16" Oware double wide to try this out in my hammock. I received the pad a couple of days ago and want to try custom fitting it for me to try and wrap part of it around me - and cutting off the excess. However, I didn't think about how wide it actually is and how to carry it while backpacking. I contacted Oware but have not received a reply yet to know if I can fold it over length-wise before rolling it up to make it manageable. Otherwise it's TOO wide to carry horizontally on your pack - and it's really awkward to mount it vertically. Not sure if folding it will damage it.

Images

I used this 1/4" pad, in my WBBB 1.1dbl. http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/thi...tion-pads.html It is wide and can be trimmed to fit. High 20's with an my 30 degree underquilt, have not tried it on its own.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++