WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    bring a gun
    and my dog. oops.. forgot my leash. oh well, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    and my dog. oops.. forgot my leash. oh well, no problem.
    No worries about the leash. Just use the PCT method. No, wait...that's for filtering water. I mean make sure the dog only weighs 7.293 ounces. No, that's not it either. Wait...I'll get it, I promise.

I know! Use the dental floss from your first aid kit! Perfect leash. Sorry it took so long. So much information, such a disorganized alleged brain to sort it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    Maybe you should try to remember which troll you are for the day...
    The irony that my typo brought about is remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    0/56 (Including this post).

I'm here to learn, maybe find a little fellowship. However, if I see something I can offer information on, even if it's passing secondhand, I won't let any ratio stop me.
    Tikcuf,that you?

'Tis I, the wannabe hiker formerly known as a screen name that isn't allowed. Maybe I should make a symbol, like Prince did.

I'm wondering if I should I quit my job to do a thru hike?

I have 6 kids who are very sick and I will lose my insurance, plus I have no savings to pay the mortgage while I'm gone. My wife doesn't want me to go either and she said she'd divorce me if I left.

I'm 50 and have been in the same job for 20 years and can retire next year with full benefits and a pension for life.

I just feel like if I don't do it now I never will... What should I do??????
    Jump! Jump!

'Tis I, the wannabe hiker formerly known as a screen name that isn't allowed. Maybe I should make a symbol, like Prince did.
    Coffee Rules!....I like it! kinda has a nice ring to it,good one.

I got it. Get a picture of a tick and one of a shirt sleeve cuff. Then you could put "The WhiteBlaze Poster known as [insert pics]"
    Last edited by atmilkman; 06-26-2012 at 15:03.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Coffee Rules!....I like it! kinda has a nice ring to it,good one.
    Not to mention flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    I got it. Get a picture of a tick and one of a shirt sleeve cuff. Then you could put "The WhiteBlaze Poster known a [insert pics]"
    Hehehe I like how you think.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I think more time doing "shake down" hikes and less time reading about hiking on the internet would increase ones chances of a successful hike.
    Yes indeed.

For myself, weekend backpacks in New Hampshire followed by a Long Trail thru-hike the year before my AT hike helped IMMENSELY. Plus, it was fun.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    I got it. Get a picture of a tick and one of a shirt sleeve cuff. Then you could put "The WhiteBlaze Poster known as [insert pics]"
    That's actually pretty dam funny,goot won

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Yes indeed.

For myself, weekend backpacks in New Hampshire followed by a Long Trail thru-hike the year before my AT hike helped IMMENSELY. Plus, it was fun.
    Gotta agree with that philosophy,many are in-love with the ideation of thru-hike,and really don't have a clue of what it will take to accomplish it.It's hard work,wet dirty,stinky,shake downs are a great way of sorting out whether your just having a romantic feeling,or if you really wanna be out here,excellent advise y'all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I think more time doing "shake down" hikes and less time reading about hiking on the internet would increase ones chances of a successful hike.
    amen. i know people do it and succeed, but how someone who has basically never hiked before ever in their adult life ever shows up at springer thinking they are going to hike the whole trail is beyond me.

Images

WIA reminds me of Shlep from a few years ago. She loved the cyberhiker thing...but ended up hiking over 1000 miles before a MRSA infection took her off trail. Later I met her in Vermont where she was introducing her younger brother to long distance hiking.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

But it's really cool that some folks have time to do lots of stuff, yet still make/find time to get on here and be a jerk to people who are just being friendly.
    well i have a masters degree and a job i love that ive had for 12 years. the girl with the 2 majors and 2 minors is probably still working that same part time job she had when we were in school. if shes lucky. just as some people around here will plan their "hike" long enough to just get bored with it. that would be a really interesting stat- people who come here to start planning a hike that they say they will do in 2 or 3 years... how many of them even ever START toheir hike, forget about finish?

Roughly 150 (not including repetitive miles)/ 19 posts (including this one). Hopefully many more miles to come...

I would like to see a (miles hiked / messages posted) ratio myself.
    Not always a successful thru-hiker, eventually got the miles in. Until recently I was better than 1:1

I think WIA is a pretty cool gal. ehs blows up her post count and doesn't afraid of anything

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    and they leave their dog home and also carry a gun for shooting dogs who get brought on the trail.

948.3 unique AT miles for me (in other words places ive hiked multiple times only counted once)
    You freakin' DB...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++