WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default 100 mile wilderness resupply help

I have some good news. Someone I know that lives near the 100 mile wilderness here in Maine has volunteered to do resupplies in the 100 mile wilderness at Jo-Mary road at the bridge over Copper brook. For more information and details you can contact this person by email at: [email protected]. You can address the email to Svivor.
    Last edited by attroll; 06-25-2006 at 12:27.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Resupply at Jo-Mary road or Whitehouse Landing may be nice, but for decades, all hikers made it through the 100 miles without resupply. It's "only" 100 miles, or 7 days for most of us.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks
    for decades, all hikers made it through the 100 miles without resupply. It's "only" 100 miles, or 7 days for most of us.
    wbdent Not all thru-hikers have gone through without a resupply. There have been people doing resupplies in the 100 mile wilderness for a long time for thru-hikers. Maybe you have just never caught wind of it. I know thru-hikers who have had stuff waiting for them at Jo-Mary road.

wbdent This person just thought they would offer to help. If any thru-hiker don't want the help then they need to take it. The option is not there though. But I know a few that have resupplied at Jo-Mary.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default !00 Mi. Resupply

During my 2001 thru I sent a mail drop to White House Landing. In 2001 they didn't charge you if you stayed the night. It worked out well for me because I was hiking SOBO at the time.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    **** Not all thru-hikers have gone through without a resupply. There have been people doing resupplies in the 100 mile wilderness for a long time for thru-hikers. Maybe you have just never caught wind of it. I know thru-hikers who have had stuff waiting for them at Jo-Mary road.
    In 1991 when I walked Maine with a 9-year-old grandson, I had a brother meet our group at the Jo-Mary Road with some fresh steaks. It was a lucky decision. Just before reaching the road, a sister who was along for part of the walk, slipped on a bog bridge and broke her wrist.

My brother drove my sister to the hospital. Jon and I took the steaks and kept going north. We all met again at Katahdin Stream amidst 3 inches of rain, that delayed our ascent of Katahdin several weeks, long enough for the wrist to almost heal. It was interesting, however, to push a one armed person over the rocks of the Hunt Trail in early October, but we made it up -- and down.

Weary

I resupplied at Whitehouse Landing in 2004. I really enjoyed my stay
    there but would have loved to have a simple resupply at Jo-Mary-road
    instead as I spent much too much money at WL.

How can you stop at WL without having there giant burger and some
    beers?

CU

Sauerkraut

Spanky MEPA '02, MEGA '08 spanky's Avatar

:banana 100 hundred reasons to resupply in the 100 mile wilderness!

As WIN and I were SOBO'ing in 2002; we had the unique pleasure of being "resupplied" in the midst of the 100 mile wilderness by 14 French-Canadian women...

Pecan Pie and fresh 12" subs were just the ticket...

No complaints on this end! If someone wants to help out... I am man enough of a hiker to take the help!

Spanky
    2002 SOBO

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Unhappy Monson General Store Closed

It should be noted that the general store in Monson has closed as of this season.

Hikers can head north up State Road 15 to Greenville for a larger resupply selection or visit the hostels in Monson for food if you don't feel like hitchin'.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    Resupply at Jo-Mary road or Whitehouse Landing may be nice, but for decades, all hikers made it through the 100 miles without resupply. It's "only" 100 miles, or 7 days for most of us.

18# of food is no big deal, really, if the basic pack weight w/o food is below 20# (1 liter of water included).
    Think of it as a challenge (not to eat too much too soon to drop pack weight ).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Is Whitehouse Landing still open? There was talk that they would close after last year.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

[QUOTE=Sassafras Lass;1287298]It should be noted that the general store in Monson has closed as of this season.

I'm crushed over closing of General Store - just down the road from the camp I share with hubby. But I want to help you folks needing a lift to Greenville or wherever. For thru-hiking women out there: we also have laundry facilities, plenty of good grub, and a place to sleep if hostels are full or if you're strapped for cash. ***I don't want to take business from Lakeshore or Shaws or Spring Creek BBQ - Monson needs these viable businesses more than ever!***

Why women? And what's in it for me? I'm hoping I will hear intriguing, true accounts for my next book project, "Wander Women." Women thru-hikers (with or without mates) who have a unique situation, perspective, mission, reason to take on the AT: Please contact [email protected] or reply here. Will be in Monson May 18 thru 20, and again after June 3rd. Have all summer and fall, and hoping to make good headway on this project. Look for my trail magic all summer long, like homemade granola and giant chocolate-chip cookies to share with your trail mates. Happy hiking!

Learn more about me at www.megwilsonauthor.com, and thank you in advance for allowing me to hear your stories.

Meg (207)939-5058

Do you have any specific routes?
    how to convert avi to mp4
    I got a iphone5 yesterday. I need a best iphone case. Have any idea?

Journal Entries

i just tried that email address and it got kicked back? [email protected] does not exist.

iPhone5 cases: i have used the Otter Boxes with good results but have switches to the Life Case because it is suppose to be "water proof", less than 1 meter deep

100 Mile Wilderness Adventures and Outfitters and at one time SHAW'S, IIRC, would provide a resupply drop at Jo-Mary Road, too. Don't know for sure if Shaw's is still doing this. IIRC, they charged $25 per drop.

I want to send a huge 'SHOUT OUT' to the Down Easters in Monson and all of Maine for their dedication to Hikers.

Coosa

Last year on my 2012 thru i had to get resupplied at a camp store within the 100 mile wilderness very exspensive, this is great news for all the 2013 end to ender's.

Images

WH landing was where I resupplied enjoyed the burgers and the breakfast

Images

Most of this section is actually completed by residential camps and just-for-fun hikers here in Maine. It is not exclusive for thruhikers. A resupplier is a great asset for safety as well as food. Thands AT Troll for the post.

Images

The problem I hear often about the burger joint is TOO EXPENSIVE. Another resource is great!

Images

And Coosa....you're welcome! Glad to be appreciated.

If you don't bring ten days of supplies, you will die

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++