WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Migraine hikers

Images

Default Migraine hikers

I have recently started wondering about this.

I have migraine headaches occasionally, sometimes for no reason I can tell. They can come on quick, and my longest has lasted three very long days. Sensitivity to light, nausea, lethargy, and sometimes full up vomiting often accompany the pain, and I even had the lights in my vision once. I have been prescribed Imotrex and that usually works, but even after taking that I feel wiped out.

But, so far I have never had one while hiking. I don't know if it is just luck, or if something about hiking keeps them from happening. I figure someone else here on WhiteBlaze probably has the same problems and I was wondering about your experience.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Is there any kind of food or drink which you don't ever have while hiking but you do at home?

Two examples I can think of offhand, caffeine and wheat.

Images

Hot those two. I have coffee every morning trail or not, and I usually eat bread at home and tortillas and/or pasta on the trail, bit have wheat.

I have heard of foods that can cause it such as alcohol, chocolate, etc. But I haven't been able to nail it to anything like that. One night I can have a couple of whiskeys and not get one, or like last night, I did have one beer and this morning I had a migraine this morning when I woke up. I was not dehydrated, I pay a lot of attention to that, but there have been times I have been over hydrated.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Might just be a combination of exercize and hydration. Typcially, one byproduct of exercize is dilation of the blood vessels. Some migranes have been traced to diminished blood supply in certain areas of the brain and the effect of vasodilation may be helping you out. Hydration is another biggie, with migranes and headaches in general. Not all, but most hikers pay special attention to water intake and consume much more than they would if sitting at home. Hydration promotes cell health and correct blood "thickness".

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    Hot those two. I have coffee every morning trail or not, and I usually eat bread at home and tortillas and/or pasta on the trail, bit have wheat.

I have heard of foods that can cause it such as alcohol, chocolate, etc. But I haven't been able to nail it to anything like that. One night I can have a couple of whiskeys and not get one, or like last night, I did have one beer and this morning I had a migraine this morning when I woke up. I was not dehydrated, I pay a lot of attention to that, but there have been times I have been over hydrated.
    Old Milwaukee gives me a headache.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I was not dehydrated, I pay a lot of attention to that, but there have been times I have been over hydrated.
    ============================================
    Hey Rock ...not sure how you determine the above but just know that most of us (hikers or not) are "behind" when it comes to hydration. If we don't take in enough water our body robs it from our cells. You can have "clear & copius" urine and still be clinically dehydrated. Alcohol requires water in order to be metabolized. So, chance are that when you had a beer or two or a couple shots of hootch you actually were in a "sub clinical" state of dehydration. Only way to know for sure is to have your blood checked. If we drink too much water in a short period we flood the system and some gets dumped out throught the kidneys instead of fully replenishing our systems. It's kinda like one of those cat's/dogs rain storms that hit the ground so fast the water can't be absorbed and it runs off into the sewer instead of sinking in and feeding the soil.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I have recently started wondering about this.

I have migraine headaches occasionally, sometimes for no reason I can tell. They can come on quick, and my longest has lasted three very long days. Sensitivity to light, nausea, lethargy, and sometimes full up vomiting often accompany the pain, and I even had the lights in my vision once. I have been prescribed Imotrex and that usually works, but even after taking that I feel wiped out.

But, so far I have never had one while hiking. I don't know if it is just luck, or if something about hiking keeps them from happening. I figure someone else here on WhiteBlaze probably has the same problems and I was wondering about your experience.
    I had them in high school with few attacks since then. You have my sympathy. When I read your post I thought that I had heard about botox relieving migrane pain. Looked up on google to make sure. Here is a link. I've only scanned it. Of course, I don't know if you would consider it, but if I still had migranes often enough, I'd look into it, if it were safe.

http://www.botox-cosmetic-surgery.co...s_migranes.htm

Eye strain from the computer? Do you have a monitor screen? Refocusing at some far distance will relax the eyes. I used to get headaches sometimes, not intense enough to classify as migraines. I have a dual monitor system now, which helps by shifting where I'm looking. I also have a monitor screen on the monitor and the other screen is a laptop, which is LCD (much softer it seems on the eyes).

Images

I have a laptop for work (which I am on now) and a monitor for my home PC. I haven't looked at that relationship. I do know that when I was heavy into putting time into site development at Hiking HQ I would get migraines, so that is a possibility. I have also been away from that computer and still gotten them, but that could be another cause.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

My sister- inlaw gets these all the time, really severe. Shell fish, MSG,wine, certain beers,chocolate, and other foods trigger hers. I've read a few articles about using oxygen, however, most doctors scoff at the idea. I do have 2 friends who claim it helps them. Bought my s/law an oxygen tank to see if it helps, she used it for 2 mins, said it didn't help and never touched it again. I believe in most states you have to have a script for oxygen, FWIW.
    If you try it and it helps, I do have a tank not being used.
    Also, my inlaws in Alaska would get 3-4 migraines a month. They said they started taking the herb,Yallow(I think, I can find out for sure) and claim they only get 1-2 a year now. Hope some of this might be useful.

AT Wanderer and '08 Dreamer Kevin A. Boyce's Avatar
    Images

I am a fellow migraine suffer as well... In fact they go back at least 4 generations in my family.

I have tried to figure out if they are diet related, stress related, environmental, but luckily they come on only a few times a year, and so, I cannot make an decent conclusion as to mine. I worry about them a lot though as I have the kind that constrict the optical nerve and I lose sight in one eye for a while, usually less then an hour.

I used to take Imitrex as well, it worked wonders for me, but now with some medications I was on, I don't anymore. (I should follow up on that) I have found that the OTC Advil or Tylenol migraine remedies work sometimes, so I always keep them at hand, I also like Aleve for my bad headaches. I know as soon as I get spots in my vision, and my peripheral vision starts to get shallow, I know I have about a half hour to get home, crawl into bed and get ready for the fun.

Personally someone asked me how it felt and I commented it is like some hitting you in the head with a 2x4 over and over and over....

As for remedies, and how I deal with them when I have had them on the trail, well, I usually try to hunker down in my sleeping bag, pop a few pills, and hope it will be quick or that I can sleep. I also, and this is just me, like a cold compress on my head. Does it work? Who knows, does it make me comfortable (If that is possible), yes.

I am lucky in that my hiking and climbing partners know about my history with them, and if I get one while I am out, will steer clear of me, keep the noise low, and will be kind until it passes.

I am interested in hearing other's comments.
    KevBoy

Images

KevBoy,

Sorry to hear that Imitrex isn't available for you anymore. I usually try off the shelf migraine stuff before I go to it sort of like you do, but if I end up needing the Imitrex it has always worked. I carry about 6 in my first aid kit just in case.

I know what you mean about laying down, when it is going hard, that is the only thing I want to do, and in a nice dark place. Not only is the pain like getting hit in the head, but I also would say it is like getting instant flu since I can regulate heat well, always too hot or too cold, and the overwhelming desire to vomit and just get it over with even though you know in your mind that it will just come back in a half hour or so.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Unhappy

Like you sarge, I have never been able to pin down a reliable cause of my headaches. I read that there are many foods that can do the damage but I have never been able to make the link. Fortunately mine are not that debilitating although they sure do take the joy outof the day. On the other hand, I have them quite frequently or at least I have been lately. Interestingly, during my six week hike last summer I had a headache twice in the first few days, and then was free for the rest of hike. I've often thought that hydration was the answer as I actually tend to drink more water on the trail than I do at home, but in the end I am just not sure. For me the best solution is to take three extra strength aspirin as soon as I feel the slightest signs coming on. If you have migraines you'll know what I mean. There is always some little precursor. Then it's important to get my head down as soon as possible.

Cheers, and headache free hiking,

PKH

Bloody Cactus MadAussieInLondon's Avatar

hi rock, I and my wife-to-be get migranes, her more worse than I. both had one each on our o4 attempt.

she got hers while we were in Hot springs and it was coooold. I got mine at 4 pines hostel and it was hot. Each time we took a zero and hiked the day after with no ill effects.

not fun when it happens. cant really predict it. I only took about 4 ibuprofen on the entire time I was out there...
    -- [TrailName :: Bloody Cactus] --

Rock, since you have been offered the Imitrex I know you have seen some sort of a physician. I don't know how frequently you have these severe headaches, or whether these are migraines. There are a number of things that can be involved, some of those can kill you.

Even Imitrex has some significant risks. Very significant.

If you have these more than once or twice annually, I'd encourage you to go see a neurologist and get a better examination. I'd hate bad things happen for you.

We have another member (who is currently on a shake down walk) who has had stroke and last year's thru attempt halted by severe migraine. I hope he gets back and gets to respond with his experience.

I feel your pain Rock. I get 'em too. They last about a day, and have pretty much the same symptoms as you (aura, splitting head pain, vomiting and narcolepsy) , although I have never had one last more than a day. One of the things that helped prevent them was to quit eating deli meats (cold turkey, if you will). Apparently the nitrates (nitrites?) can trigger them, and by doing so, lessened the frequency of the migraine. Curiously, in the past 5 months the frequency has gone back up, and I just saw a doctor who gave me a prescription for Imitrex.

While I have had them during a thru-hike, I have never had them while hiking, and considering the miles I've done, this is worth noting. When I get them, it has always been before I started the day's mileage, or during a zero (fun!). Furthermore, there are never as debilitating out on the trail as they are when I am at home. I got one this past June at Woodshole just before breakfast, but still managed to eat with Tillie, make polite conversation, and then hike the 10 miles to Pearisburg.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    Rock, since you have been offered the Imitrex I know you have seen some sort of a physician. I don't know how frequently you have these severe headaches, or whether these are migraines. There are a number of things that can be involved, some of those can kill you.

Even Imitrex has some significant risks. Very significant.

If you have these more than once or twice annually, I'd encourage you to go see a neurologist and get a better examination. I'd hate bad things happen for you.

We have another member (who is currently on a shake down walk) who has had stroke and last year's thru attempt halted by severe migraine. I hope he gets back and gets to respond with his experience.

I have the same concern. I only go to Imitrex as a last resort. The good thing is often I can go for months without a migraine, but on the bad side I can get them every day for a week long stretch. I only take Imitrex when one gets really bad. Usually they go away within an hour or two after taking one, but afterwords I am usually feeling very drained.

I did get MRIs and such done a couple of years ago and there was nothing on them. I also had some sort of brain scan done because I am loosing some hearing (more to do with my profession than anything) and the doctor had some tests run to make sure there was nothing neurological involved with the hearing loss and migraines. I have a doctor's appointment next week, I will bring it up.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

"...the doctor had some tests run to make sure there was nothing neurological involved with the hearing loss and migraines..."

By definition, there is something neurological going on. What he did was to attempt to prove it wasn't something lethal _and_ neurological. This is good.

My suspicion is that you have something going on that makes dehydration and heat a big more of a problem than for the average bear. My other suspicion is that blood pressure might be a problem, and would encourage you to consider borrowing or buying a lightweight wrist BP cuff for your next section. Make a plan on checking BP at 10AM and 4PM. Write it down. Check again is your headache begins. This may be stress related, even if you are a super fit gungho dogfaced grunt.

Not that it would do you any good on a hike, but the wife of a friend suffers from severe migraines and has found Botox to be a godsend. (She's young and pretty, and wouldn't otherwise have any use for it yet). Compared to drugs she has taken, the side effects are a lot more mild. Particularly as they are increasingly interested in pregnancy, and she wants to avoid the other drugs, Botox has been a good option.

Images

Rock,

Just a thought, but could it be allergies? I found out after my thru-hike that I had serious allergies to things like pollens, trees, dust, molds etc. and I often get sinus infections and headaches and feel crumby, on and off trail. Might be worth getting checked out for. Many allergies come and go and can affect you for a few years of your life.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++