WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Arkaquah Trail

Images

Default Arkaquah Trail

In Georgia. This trail goes from Track Rock to Brasstown Bald. Or vice versa. Has anyone ever hiked it before? I hear its 10-12 miles of just plain evilness. I can't wait to hike it tomorrow! Would love to hear about others experiences!

Better wear your woolies !
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

I've hiked it from Brasstown Bald to Track Rock. Down hill all the way in that direction. Some places where you have to scramble down off rocks, but other wise not bad. The all down hill will have your quads screaming at the end. There is a little parking area at Track Rock, so shuttling with two vehicles is practical.

Images

I ended up hiking it from Track Rock to Brasstown Bald. The climb to Buzzard Roost Ridge is a killer! i had forgotten my boots at home and hiked the trail in my nike shox. Any other time of the year that would have been fine, but there was a lot of snow up there and I didnt have the traction I would have liked too. The trail is iffy in places so I poked and prodded with my poles before I stepped down in places, so it took me a little over 5 hours to go the 5.5 miles to brasstown. Because of that I didnt have time to make the return trip. I plan to do this again in the spring. That trail rocks!

Journal Entries

Going to try the Arkaquah in the morning if the roads permit...

I've done it before. A pretty legit climb out of Track Rock Gap. It kicked my a$$, but I was a brand new hiker and that was the last hike of my first 20 mile day.

Begin at Track Rock Gap and get the harder part over with first. I did the opposite. It was pretty rough.

I want to try it again soon. I got a feeling it wont be 1/4 as bad as it was when I first started.

When I get my 40 lb vest (it should arrive next week!), I am going to "train" on this trail to try to increase my MPD to above 20. I've been stuck at the 17-19 range for a while now. It is kind of annoying.

I think doing this trail 2 in a day with 45-48 lbs on my back should be pretty darn good training for the upcoming year.

Journal Entries

Just finished up. That trail is great! Very snowy today and beautiful. Getting there (Trackrock Gap) was no problem. Roads are fine.

Journal Entries

Love this trail! All the snow's gone...did it in five hours just now. Knees started to scream a little going back down in Trackrock Gap though. Whoever is maintaining it is doing a GREAT job!

++ New Posts ++