WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: SNP N to S?

Default SNP N to S?

I’m planning on hiking the AT in SNP at the end of July. I wanted to hike North to South but every thing I find people say to do it south to north. What do people think? Planning on doing it in 5 days about 20 miles a day.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HikingATC View Post
    I’m planning on hiking the AT in SNP at the end of July. I wanted to hike North to South but every thing I find people say to do it south to north. What do people think? Planning on doing it in 5 days about 20 miles a day.
    I hiked it south to north and I think it would have been easier hiking north to south.

I'd always heard the SNP was the easiest hundred miles of the AT.. I kept waiting on it to get easy all the way to Rockfish Gap and it never did.

Images

I hiked it North to South a few years ago. the trail is nice wide graded smooth trail but don't get fooled there is a good deal of elevation changes going and coming from the gaps mainly. You will hear folks say 20's are easy. I am sure that is the case if you have your trail legs as a thru. I found mid teens were a good day. the climb up from Front Royal is a bear have fun with that.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I hiked it SOBO in two section hikes. If you haven't been backpacking for a month before you get there, then 20 mpd for a week could be pushing it. I agree with Sasquatch and 10-K that it wasn't as easy as people thru-hikers make it out to be. Conversely, I thought Georgia was a piece of cake!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

It would be fine hiked from N to S. Enjoy it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Unlike other sections of the AT, I can not tell the difference WRT terrain through SNP - regardless of direction.

I have done SNP thru-hikes in both directions and it is the easiest (major) section of the AT, but like others have said, if you're not in shape you'll be hurting.

I went S to N from Rockfish Gap to The Pinnacles, and later went N to S through the rest of the SNP back to The Pinnacles. Not a lot of difference in terrain. I agree that 20 mile days sound a little long if you have not already been hiking. Have a great trip.

Northbound, Southbound - I don't think there's any difference at all.

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

I did SNP N to S one year ago this week - great hike. As a 48 year old I left Front Royal and walked into Waynesboro 6 days later. Not all the waysides were open and it was a bit rainy and chilly - an incentive to make miles. If you can do 20 miles on similar terrain, should be no problem in July - except for all the "ice cream speed bumps" along the way.

Default I like North to South

I like SNP north to south because of the locations of possible showers. Showers are available at Big Meadows and Loft Mountain. Big Meadows is in the middle but Loft is 20 miles from the southern terminus.

I've been hiking in SNP since I was a kid back mumbledymumble years ago. I agree with others. Those 20-mile days on "easy" trail are from the thru-hiker perspective. There's still plenty of elevation gain/loss to slow down a section hiker. But the spacing of water, huts, and park services may be more of a concern to you when you plan your hike. Water sources in the southern district can be dry in mid summer, so you may have to leg it to a place where there's a standing water pipe like Dundo picnic area, Loft Mtn campground or the ranger/entrance stations. If you want to stay at huts, they seem to be nearly always too far apart or too close, but there's lots of great camping all over SNP. You can have a hot meal at Loft Mtn, Big Meadows, Skyland, or Elkwallow. (Skyland is lodge only, but there is a bar area just off the main dining room that is pretty casual if you clean up a little.) Lewis Mtn campground is right on the trail. Nice place to grab a snack, even have a shower. Bearfence Hut is just a mile north of it on the trail, so whenever we hike north past Lewis Mountain, we stop and buy hot dogs and all the fixings, plus some beer for a feast at Bearfence shelter.

Oh, and if you have an older map, note that the old restaurant at Thornton Gap is long gone, and Byrd's Nest #3 is now open for overnight stays.

I did SNP as a SOBO section starting at the 4H center to Rockfish Gap in 5 days as well. It was cake. Sooooooo easy. It was so easy I think I did almost 10 miles wearing crocs with my shock blocker inserts in them.

The only part I recall requiring any effort was, I believe, around Thornton Gap and Mary's Rock.

BTW - I am a section hiker and I could SNP in 3 days this summer if I had to.

Enjoy the blackberry shakes.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've done it both ways. I think NOBO is easier, personally.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++