WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I don't know about "anybody" but I've also seen Winton do this for complete strangers.

Great guy.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

finished the book last night. excellent read. could have read it in one sitting. i thought it did end quite abruptly, however. there was no real ending....the stories just stopped and there were no more pages.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Read it a few months ago. Great book. Loved the stories.

I ended up going with Postholer over TT due to the ease of updating the journal. I could use email or even use a picture text message to submit an journal entry. Given the remoteness of the PCT, distance between trail towns, this increased the likelyhood of getting an entry posted in a timely manner. The downside with keeping a journal updated regulary is the possibility of a stalker, but I think this is more of a problem for single woman and I gave it no thought as a guy.

I also liked the fact that I was able to embed my journal into my website after I returned home with about an hour of work instead of having to copy all the entries into wordpress like I would with TJ.

At least for the PCT, I was already using postholer's website to get the latest snow level reports and weather info along the trail.

I was grateful for my daily journal after I finished as it helped me orgainize my video and photos since I could look at the time stamp and figure out from my journal where I was that day. Considering I shot several hours of video and had more then 3000photos, this was extremely useful. So no matter what, keep a journal of somesort that you update regularly, even if you are using a pencil. Plus, being able to read it latter, helps you relive the memories of your trip.

Ignore that previous post (in fact moderator, please delete it). I posted to the wrong thread. I should have had my morning coffee first.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Ignore that previous post (in fact moderator, please delete it). I posted to the wrong thread. I should have had my morning coffee first.
    but did you like the book or not???
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    but did you like the book or not???
    As I posted in another thread months ago, I did enjoy the book when I read it last December. It was funny and entertaining.

Images

Default Lorac

I thought I was made of stronger stuff until I read about Lorac in the book, I'd never shed a tear about a book before, caught me off guard! Great book, really enjoyed it, buying it for family members this Christmas. Any news of another soon?

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    That picture just prior to Chapter 5 is MS, no? (back side shot, every bit of skin covered, looks like a large old woman)
    I believe so http://mountaincrossings.zenfolio.co...2a03#h3e12f664

Images

That's him.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Just finished the book, he's a good writer and each story flowed well.

I did not like his reference to ultra light hikers, and the first use of his special word for them did not make sense, nor was it explained well.

From a business point of view, I would think that the lightest weight items to sell to someone would also be more expensive. I've bought quite a few cool lightweight things there including a down bag (great customer service!) and I don't get his point of view in reference to those who like to hike light....I mean...that is the obvious reason for a shakedown in the firstplace, a service they graciously provide (and also make some $$ on the deal I'm sure!)

It was a nice book, and I hope he writes one every five years with new stories!
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    I did not like his reference to ultra light hikers, and the first use of his special word for them did not make sense, nor was it explained well.

From a business point of view, I would think that the lightest weight items to sell to someone would also be more expensive. I've bought quite a few cool lightweight things there including a down bag (great customer service!) and I don't get his point of view in reference to those who like to hike light....I mean...that is the obvious reason for a shakedown in the firstplace, a service they graciously provide (and also make some $$ on the deal I'm sure!)
    I think all he was trying to say is that there are some hikers that seem to want to preach to everyone on how UL they are, much like a born-again type that preaches to everyone trying to convert them.

Also he mentioned the type that are Ray Jardine fans and have followed much of his advice, but have no business doing so without sufficient experience.

I got the impression he was only hounding on the super-super UL'ers that are hiking on the edge with not much wiggle room for safety.

Images

GoFreezers?
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

It's bben several years but at one point Winton wanted to do a UL hike from Springer back to Neels Gap. As the story was related to me thru a reliable source, he froze his @$$ off. I would imagine having seen the things that he has, he probably doesn't hold a high regard for people who try to go super UL or for those at the other end of the spectrum, who do the "jeans and tee" thing.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Winton, despite being a businessman, does not place a dollar value on a persons overall safety and enjoyment of the trail. A lot of the stuff that I use to this day, most of which was purchased at Wintons store, although not ultralight, I use because I tried it out and found it to work. I don't believe Winton to be the sort of person to sell something solely because of its price. The gear has t owork as well.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Winton, despite being a businessman, does not place a dollar value on a persons overall safety and enjoyment of the trail. A lot of the stuff that I use to this day, most of which was purchased at Wintons store, although not ultralight, I use because I tried it out and found it to work. I don't believe Winton to be the sort of person to sell something solely because of its price. The gear has t owork as well.
    I would agree with that
    The point being that some of the items that are UL are also expensive.

Carry what you want, everybody learns what works for them in the long hike.....
    ad astra per aspera

I started his book yesterday afternoon and finished it today during my marketing class. I love it! Great sense of humor, and a great read over all. I didn't expect it to be the book it turned out to be, in my opinion. I would recommend to to everyone and looking for more books to read in my time off school before the hike.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    will the book ever save a life by being used to make a life saveing fire? yes. will the book provide toilet papper at some future time? yes. will the book become a wedge to hold open doors for food layden hikers returning to hostel from town? maby. will the book be used to level a rocking picinic table. possibly. can the book swat flys? uhhuh. cover macs and cheese from rain? duh.what about rolling a ciggetett on the book. just did it. okay. lets say the price of cheese in finnland was skyrocketing. and you had just passed up an oppurtunity to invest big and make millions. and lets say your friends were all calling to laugh at you about it and the phone was rinning and pissing you off. could the book be thrown at the phone to knock off the receiver so you could yell shut up without getting out of bed? yes.
    its funny.no? all the things a book can do.i dont have a copy and didnt read it. i hate hate hate reading. if you list the things i hate they go like this:

being inside
    being in a city
    being away from my appalachian trail
    being away from hikers
    being away from art supplys
    being away from dogs
    being away from god
    hiking on my appalachian trail with hikers away from citys outside with god and a dog and art supplys reading.
    and the number one thing i hate more than that is,.......
    not eating stuffing
    matthewski

bacon flavored stuffing. . .

Default Books Is Me

Had to finish a backlog of books, ending with Decision Points, before getting to this one but I just now Kindle’d it. Because of the tantalizing tidbits you all dropped, I went straight to the search function & looked up all the characters like Lorac/Carol, etc. Gonna gobble the whole thing now, book report to follow.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++