WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I came across a thread that had some info saying at the end of the heating cycle where the water is just about to boil, the stove starts to go radical because of over heating and the flames will come out those holes. The flames will also come out the top holes of the cone at that high heat stage(shorter cones).
    Flames will absolutely lick out of the opening on a Caldera cone where the pot handles are. I set a lighload towel on fire using it folded up as a hotpad to move a boiling pot of water and the cone away from the stove.

Images

Over a period of time the stove will look like this one that was in a thread at backpackinglight.com

12-10 heat stress.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Over a period of time the stove will look like this one that was in a thread at backpackinglight.com

12-10 heat stress.PNG
    My question is then will the Starlyte look any better after the same "period of time" using the cone setup?
    I plan on mixing up fuel types on my thru-hike using my new Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti-Tri...primarily alcohol, but mixing in wood and esbit here and there. I'm running field tests on them currently!
    I have replaced the 12-10 stove with a Starlyte primarily because then everything fits in the 900ml pot. the 12-10 has to be in a separate container because its much larger than the Starlyte.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    My question is then will the Starlyte look any better after the same "period of time" using the cone setup?
    I plan on mixing up fuel types on my thru-hike using my new Trail Designs Sidewinder Ti-Tri...primarily alcohol, but mixing in wood and esbit here and there. I'm running field tests on them currently!
    I have replaced the 12-10 stove with a Starlyte primarily because then everything fits in the 900ml pot. the 12-10 has to be in a separate container because its much larger than the Starlyte.
    As long as you don't over fill the statlyte it won't be baked to look like the TD photo. Fill with no more than 1.5 ounces of fuel. Never light a starlyte that has fuel puddled on top of the stainless steel mesh screen. It will overflow the sides and flames will engulf the burner causing excessive heat to the outside walls. The 12-10 needs to be primed in cold weather so fuel is poured into the priming ring at the stove base. That causes the stove to be engulfed and eventually the aluminum is anealed and becomes easily bent out of shape. No need to prime a starlyte in cold weather.

Images

Trail Designs no longer sells the Modified Starlyte. They can still be purchased at my website.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/modifie...r-with-lid.php

I highly recommend Zelph's modified Starlyte in a Caldera Cone TiTri. Wonderful — and somewhat longer burning in my experience than the Caldera 12-10. I especially like the ability to cover it and save unused alcohol fuel.

I also have Zelph's bigger Starlyte (which I'm not sure he still sells). His recommendation to me was that the bigger one is for big pots. I only have a 900mL pot …. But the bigger Starlyte does work very well for me. And lasts a very long time because it's has such a large capacity. I can easily see cutting an additional restrictor with a smaller hole that would fit in the lid when not in use — and would allow for great simmering and baking.

I had obviously forgotten all about this thread...
    I have mentioned in some other threads that the Trail Designs stove works better (for me) if I put more fuel in it than needed. The extra fuel will keep the stove cooler .
    It is very simple to snuff and recover the extra fuel.
    (apparently enormously difficult for some ....)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    I highly recommend Zelph's modified Starlyte in a Caldera Cone TiTri. Wonderful — and somewhat longer burning in my experience than the Caldera 12-10. I especially like the ability to cover it and save unused alcohol fuel.

I also have Zelph's bigger Starlyte (which I'm not sure he still sells). His recommendation to me was that the bigger one is for big pots. I only have a 900mL pot …. But the bigger Starlyte does work very well for me. And lasts a very long time because it's has such a large capacity. I can easily see cutting an additional restrictor with a smaller hole that would fit in the lid when not in use — and would allow for great simmering and baking.
    By the end of next week I'll have a 3 oz. capacity Starlyte Type burner available... with lid. Parts should arrive tomorrow. It's smaller in diameter than the one you mentioned.

These are remarkable stoves!
    The ability to carry alcohol in the stove is a really major benefit!

These are remarkable stoves!
    The ability to carry alcohol in the stove is a really major benefit!
    (I'm referring to Zelph's big StarLyte stoves that he just mentioned …)

Images

(I'm referring to Zelph's big StarLyte stoves that he just mentioned …)
    The larger Starlyte XL3 is now available, 3 ounce fuel capacity with fuel saving lid. No need to siphon/reclaim unused fuel. No priming necessary. Burner has copper wick for single digit winter temperatures, makes lighting easy peasey. Can be used with the larger Trail Design Caldera Cones.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-xl3.php
    Last edited by zelph; 03-16-2017 at 20:55.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++