WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

I own my own business---translate that into I rarely have time to hike.

I am not complaining. As another poster said, I avoid all drug screens and am able to pretty much run my meth business (i mean shoe business) anyway I want.

peace
    mf

Images

I've been a COBOL programmer for 30 years.

Panzer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    I've been a COBOL programmer for 30 years.
    I learned COBOL in high school and they told me that in the very near future no one would ever use it again. That was in the late 70s (in Bucks County, PA, oddly enough.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

As little as possible and get paid as much as I can.......
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    As little as possible and get paid as much as I can.......
    So your a bureaucrat too...

retired preschool teacher

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post

Some people have enjoyed my "Done That List" --

http://www.davemcclung.com/index.php...d=27&Itemid=41
    490 Attended a professional football game in Texas Stadium
    491 Survived coronary bypass surgery

Must have been a helluva good game!
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    490 Attended a professional football game in Texas Stadium
    491 Survived coronary bypass surgery

Must have been a helluva good game!
    I am so old I used to go to Texas Stadium to watch Roger Staubach play.
    Shutterbug

I have a very interesting job situation. In 8 days I will commission into the active army as a 2nd Lieutenant branched aviation. Yet, due to (I assume) a backlog in army officer schools, my orders don't have me report until march 2010. So when I found that out I thought, perfect time to hike the AT!

Btw they don't pay me or give me health insurance until march..... Hurray for student debt!

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LTHotSauce View Post
    I have a very interesting job situation. In 8 days I will commission into the active army as a 2nd Lieutenant branched aviation. Yet, due to (I assume) a backlog in army officer schools, my orders don't have me report until march 2010. So when I found that out I thought, perfect time to hike the AT!

Btw they don't pay me or give me health insurance until march..... Hurray for student debt!
    I'm commissioning next year and hoping I have enough time to hit the PCT. What'd you commission through?

aka Kudzu
    Images

Wow. No orders until 2010? How's that work? Are you not on active duty until then? That's whack. Congrats to both of you on your upcoming commissions from a lowly E-5.

I'm a software developer (Java).
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Wow. No orders until 2010? How's that work? Are you not on active duty until then? That's whack. Congrats to both of you on your upcoming commissions from a lowly E-5.

I'm a software developer (Java).
    Lowly E-5? You guys do all the work!

One girl from here doesn't report anywhere until July 2010 and she commissioned 3 weeks ago.

Commissioned through ROTC. I will be in the pseudo army world of a pre assessed officer. Basically I will have the rank but none of the benifits. Also I am not required to report anywhere or do anything until march. Think inactive ready reserve.

Images

Commissioned through ROTC. I will be in the pseudo army world of a pre assessed officer. Basically I will have the rank but none of the benifits. Also I am not required to report anywhere or do anything until march. Think inactive ready reserve.
    When I graduated from the Naval Academy 16 long years ago, there was a backlog for Naval Aviators so intense that many would not start flight school for nearly two years after graduation. However, since they were regular commissions, they received 1-2 year General Unrestricted Line billets where they became special projects officers while awaiting orders to Pensacola.

Sounds like the army is doing some budget cutting.

I didn't have that turnaround time. I reported for The Basic School at Quantico 10 days after graduation.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I'm in the same boat. ROTC at Pitt.

I'm a techie too, Electronics Engineer, former Microsoft employee, and a MCSE. I own a local consulting business but also develop real estate and build spec houses and flip houses. I reinvest by building/owning apartments. Being a landlord and ocassional court cases can be a strain but now I have automagic income and will be able to hike during retirement. It didn't happen overnight but with 20 years of 10-12hr work days and sacraficing weekends. I never predicted that I would be in the horse business, but I developed a farm near Pearisburg that I'm building a log home on now and produced a race colt that's going on the tract this year and will be pimping my colt out for the next 20 years. I'm combining long distance hiking with endurance riding. The farm and log house will host hikers too that need extended services and shuttles in SW VA so the cat's out of the bag now. McKeever is an old family name but I'm really German.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Thomas Jefferson

Mental health/addictions counselor, work in independent practice 70% of the time, and fill in at a psych unit maybe 20% of the time, and then there's per diem at the drug and alcohol agency. I know, I know, its the kiss of death at a cocktail party when I get asked what I do.. but there you have it. As the economy tanks, I am working more, not less. Of course some of that is because I took 7 months off to hike last season. Now all I want to do is go back out there. VERY tough to take up the harness again after running free.
    Cheeers, friends. Mame
    "Live, Agnes, LIVE!"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i buy and sell untaxed liquor
    the most noble of professions!
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

Hey, Bearpaw - I somehow missed this information - didn't know you were a Naval Academy grad - congrats, and thanks for your service to our country!

My son received appointments to USMA and USNA (Navy dive coach at the league championships, who has been there for 30 years, I think, told us that my son was one of the few that he's lost to Army). His goal is Army Aviation - has to be in top 20% of his class or so to be guaranteed that, but on the way - Dean's List both semesters this year as a plebe, and just scored 341 on APFT!

....so I guess, I gotta say it:

Go Army! Beat Navy!

oh, back to thread topic....

Downsized business exec....MBA....undergrad in Education...back to teaching! taught 7th grade Social Studies this year - next year it's 7th grade Science! and, yeah, things have certainly changed since I was last in the classroom 24 years ago - gotta leave that maple paddle, with holes drilled in it, at home! whoo-hoo for .5 mile commute in the Atlanta area!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    When I graduated from the Naval Academy 16 long years ago, there was a backlog for Naval Aviators so intense that many would not start flight school for nearly two years after graduation. However, since they were regular commissions, they received 1-2 year General Unrestricted Line billets where they became special projects officers while awaiting orders to Pensacola.

Sounds like the army is doing some budget cutting.

I didn't have that turnaround time. I reported for The Basic School at Quantico 10 days after graduation.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2011_thruhiker View Post
    I am a founder/president of a cat rescue in Virginia (www.shelbys.org) and that is my 24/7 job-we rehab severely abused and terrified cats as well as work with law enforcement all over Virginia in hoarding/collector/kitty mill cases. (it's hard, exhausting mental work and a very dirty job) It's very stressful-we spend a lot of time in court, documenting, medical care, and then when that is all done-we work on spayin/neutering when well enough and then onto behavior modification. We just recently did one case that we pulled 34 Maine Coon cats/kittens out of a really nasty situation with the help of the sherriff's department-30 were really critical with upper respiratory, ear infections-the ear mite infestation was disgusting-we only lost one though-which was amazing. The more I see what these cats suffer through-the less I like people...

Sorry, don't mean to go on and on-it's kind of my life...

Before Shelby's I was involved with EMS for 18 years.

So the trail is my relief, my mental downtime and revitalization-I get very very cranky if I don't get on the trail.....
    My wife and I are cat lovers, thanks for the job you do.
    Rigormortis

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++