WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    I am quoting Dave Hennel, 2007 Gathering coordinator:
    "...we'll utilize the ballroom for the Hiker Fair and evening entertainment."
    The ballroom is gigantic.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by StarLyte View Post
    From 9-11 pm on Friday, ALDHA will have a meet-and-greet with music by the group "Voxology"
    I'm looking forward to that. I looked at the website and downloaded some of Voxology's tunes. That's some spankin' six-string. Listen to their version of "Al Allong the Watchtower," for starters.

hi! matt weinstone here. philly hikers. question for starlyte. ms starlyte,...our readers want to know,...is it true your sweet?

question for mayor jester. mayor,..can you confirm or deny roumors circulating widely that you will be attending the festivitys of this years aldha gathering as huckelberry hound?

mr lonewolf mrlonewolf if i may ......matt weinstone , philly hikers. alot of our readers belive you are a shill for whiteblaze adding spice to a bland pot. any comment?

miss wonder! miss wonder! will you tell our readers what to exspect at this years gathering ? some in the know say that your the center of whats hip in this town......any comment?
    matthewski

Images

So I figure I'll throw this out there, I live about 30-40 miles east of the gathering in York, PA. I'm offering up my place if there are any hikers or trail folk who need a place to crash a few days earlier than the gathering until the start, seeing as how the hitch from Maine to PA is kinda tough, I figure if some thrus want to start hitching early I can put them up for a few days.

Images

On a very mundane subject... Is there anyone in the Charlotte area who would like to ride up together?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Any details on the work party?

Default Hammocks

Are there any trees in the camping area for hammocks?

Images

Default Post Gathering Work Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    Any details on the work party?
    I was hoping someone would ask !!!

Quoted from the "Long Distance Hiker" ALDHA's quarterly newsletter....

"Volunteers will convene at Ironmaster's Hostel on Monday morning for a day of cleaning up and repair work of the Mansion and grounds. Details will be provided at the Gathering. Pine Grove Furnace State Park is only a 20 mile drive from Gettysburg."

...If you have not been to this lovely hostel, please try to attend. In February a group of us meet here to do the same thing. There are many different tasks:

-windows and sills
    -checking lights and fixtures
    -sweeping, mopping, basic cleaning
    -basic repairs

In February we did all of the above including Matthewski replaced an entire toilet.

Donna, the caretaker can be reached at: 717-486-7575
    should you have any questions regarding the work or accommodations necessary afterwards.

I do not know what the work would be, but any effort made to participate in this work trip would be appreciated by all!

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    hi! matt weinstone here. philly hikers. question for starlyte. ms starlyte,...our readers want to know,...is it true your sweet?

question for mayor jester. mayor,..can you confirm or deny roumors circulating widely that you will be attending the festivitys of this years aldha gathering as huckelberry hound?

mr lonewolf mrlonewolf if i may ......matt weinstone , philly hikers. alot of our readers belive you are a shill for whiteblaze adding spice to a bland pot. any comment?

miss wonder! miss wonder! will you tell our readers what to exspect at this years gathering ? some in the know say that your the center of whats hip in this town......any comment?
    Well, it appears that we have some serious business at hand here.......sorry, the fun may have to wait. I've recently discovered that there is some suspicion surrounding Mayor Jesters actual species. Now, that is not to say that we here in Billville are opposed to animals/reptiles.....many members are just that. It is only that we Billville underlings do not believe it prudent to have reptiles in politics. Therefore the mayor will be facing a very salem-esqe trial with a jury of his peers to determine once and for all if Mayor Jester is a hiker/human, or has been a turtle disguised as a human. WOuld answer a few questions, would it not?
    I encourage everyone to meet me at my tent friday night at sundown for the official mob registration and distribution of torches. Of course, if Mayor Jester really is a turtle, as so many suspect, he will be pretty darn easy to catch.........oh, and bring a big net.

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post

Well, it appears that we have some serious business at hand here.......sorry, the fun may have to wait. I've recently discovered that there is some suspicion surrounding Mayor Jesters actual species. Now, that is not to say that we here in Billville are opposed to animals/reptiles.....many members are just that. It is only that we Billville underlings do not believe it prudent to have reptiles in politics. Therefore the mayor will be facing a very salem-esqe trial with a jury of his peers to determine once and for all if Mayor Jester is a hiker/human, or has been a turtle disguised as a human. WOuld answer a few questions, would it not?
    I encourage everyone to meet me at my tent friday night at sundown for the official mob registration and distribution of torches. Of course, if Mayor Jester really is a turtle, as so many suspect, he will be pretty darn easy to catch.........oh, and bring a big net.

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...

Images

Well, so apparently is you get knocked offline while posting....you get to post the same thing twice! Nice, I love technology

I'll bring a pitchfork and crooked look.

I'll bring the scale and a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I'll bring the scale and a duck.
    Monty Python. Nice touch!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    And so, Starlyte, are you saying that we will not be in an auditorium for Walkin' Jim's concert?--Kinnickinic
    So, back to my question, it sounds like Walkin' Jim's concert will be a seated-on-the-floor-of-the-Union-Hall event. In that case I'm bringing along my comfy blue Crazy Creek chair. What fun!--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Are there any trees in the camping area for hammocks?
    If I recall correctly, there were some trees along the northern border of the camping area, near a small creek. I'm not sure how appropriate they'll be for hammocks; the camping area is mainly a big field. How do you feel about stringing it between trucks?

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    So, back to my question, it sounds like Walkin' Jim's concert will be a seated-on-the-floor-of-the-Union-Hall event. In that case I'm bringing along my comfy blue Crazy Creek chair. What fun!--Kinnickinic
    If the concert is in the main hall (and I believe it is) there will be plenty of chairs, although I don't think anyone will look at you strangely should you opt for the floor.

I will neither confirm nor deny my turtleness.

So about how far is the camping area from the campus? i know we are all hikers here, but reasonable walking distance away? Or, better to drive over distance wise?

Quote Originally Posted by nonameyet View Post
    So about how far is the camping area from the campus? i know we are all hikers here, but reasonable walking distance away? Or, better to drive over distance wise?
    The camping area is, I believe, about 3 miles north of the college campus, which is itself just north of town. Part of the road in doesn't have sidewalks, though, so I'd say drive, or bring a bicycle. You could walk, though. It's closer to the school than what is the case in West Virginia, and probably close or just a bit longer than what is the case in Hanover.

How's that for long and vague?

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    If I recall correctly, there were some trees along the northern border of the camping area, near a small creek. I'm not sure how appropriate they'll be for hammocks; the camping area is mainly a big field. How do you feel about stringing it between trucks?
    Never tried it but certainly would. I'll also bring a tent.

I think I'll bring my hammock stand - I am assuming that the area for camping is basically flat - right?

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++