WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: About Stoves

Hmmm...I'm not sure why there's so much hate on canister stoves, especially resupply problems. I started my thru with the MSR microrocket (2.5oz if you get rid of the stupid plastic case it comes in) and a small fuel canister. I usually made 2 cups of coffee in the morning, and boiled water for dinner (sometimes I would have coffee at lunch too). I never had problems finding fuel, and I only completely ran out of fuel once. Then again, I was smart about my fuel usage and always kept an eye on my fuel level, especially when nearing town. When I made coffee it was the instant kind, so it's really just heating to desired temp, and with dinner I would boil just enough water to place in a plastic bag and cozy. I also never turned the stove up to maximum flame. I don't understand why people do this. It's NOT a flamethrower...if there's flame coming out, around, and halfway up the pot; you're heating the woods! I prefer the convenience of the stove vs pouring liquid fuel. Also, my entire cook-set was sub 1lb. Snowpeak Ti cup and pot, canister, microrocket, and cozy/plastic bags. If messing with alcohol saves me 3oz, it's just not worth it to me. You can measure the canister fuel level by placing it in water...also, shake it and listen to the canister. This is obviously not an exact science, but when it's nearing empty the sound of the fuel shaking in the canister goes from a sloshing sound to a tinkling sound (I know that's a poor explanation, but it really does . Now, with this setup I find it just as weight practical as alcohol; however, take the Jet boil with the extra plastic, on the over-sized canister, the oversized mug, the plastic lid, etc...and it may not be weight effective.

You failed to mention the best one... I used the Kelly Kettle!..It is a little dirty compared to a jetboiler, but I never ran out of fuel with the kettle. Face it, if you want to stay clean, don't live in the woods! You don't need to resupply fuel, because it can b found under every shelter & in every privy (wood chips/ the smallest twigs). You do need to plan ahead & keep a bit of dry tinder on hand. The kettle has plenty of storage room for that tho. & The kettle will boil almost a liter of water in about 90 seconds. I know how you thru hikers are always in a hurry. For what I don't know?.... But anyways, check out the kelly kettle before you buy the other stuff................Good Luck, & enjoy every moment of what can be a life changing experience.

Images

Thanks for the effort Mags. Check out Soto Stoves...Great technology. I use a Oilcamp pot that saves 40% fuel compared to titanium pot. adds 2 oz....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peepsinc View Post
    You failed to mention the best one... I used the Kelly Kettle!..It is a little dirty compared to a jetboiler, but I never ran out of fuel with the kettle. Face it, if you want to stay clean, don't live in the woods! You don't need to resupply fuel, because it can b found under every shelter & in every privy (wood chips/ the smallest twigs). You do need to plan ahead & keep a bit of dry tinder on hand. The kettle has plenty of storage room for that tho. & The kettle will boil almost a liter of water in about 90 seconds. I know how you thru hikers are always in a hurry. For what I don't know?.... But anyways, check out the kelly kettle before you buy the other stuff................Good Luck, & enjoy every moment of what can be a life changing experience.
    Interesting, but given that the smallest one is listed at 1.3 lbs., I cannot see myself every carrying one.

Enjoyed all 3 pages, currently carry sodacan/alcohol stove. But I really like Sgt said about using twig fire to save fuel when you can.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I updated this article a bit over the years. Recent version here:
    http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Cool, even better!

I've used an Esbit stove on my backpacking trips and loved it. The fuel tabs are very light, and you only really need one to boil a pot of water. You can use two at a time if you want it fast, or if it's cold out, it's a nice little heat source. Some people on this thread said they were hard to light, but I disagree. Practice it once or twice before you get on the trail to learn the technique, as with any stove. I prefer using matches over lighters with them. Wind can make it harder to light, but that's easily resolved by blocking the wind with your body, tent, boulder, whatever. I've never had it blow out. Also, if you can find a flat rock around, it's nice to put the stove on it to reflect some extra heat up.

Newb question.

It looks like these 3 (Denatured Alcohol, Pure Methanol, Pure Ethanol) are the recommend fuel sources for alcohol stove and 90%+ Isopropyl alcohol in pinch.

1) Is that correct?
    2) How easy are the recommend fuel types to come by on the AT?
    3) http://www.packafeather.com/index.html this guy a solid choice for solo thru hike? Or not worth the slightly higher price tag?

A quick search is all you need.
    YELLOW HEET
    yellow heet alcohol stoves
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Yellow Heet is pure methanol, and most gas stations, auto parts places, and "big box" stores carry it.

Denatured alcohol is widely available in trail towns. Some hostels and other hiker-friendly businesses will sell it by the ounce, and any hardware store will have it by the quart.

Pure ethanol is taxed heavily and is unlawful to sell in many states, but has the advantage of being libation, antiseptic and fuel in one convenient package.

Any of the above will work in virtually any alcohol stove.

Isopropanol does not burn cleanly in a stove designed for methanol or ethanol. A stove that will burn isopropanol cleanly requires a "generator" like a gasoline stove, and is as complex and heavy as one, without nearly the fuel efficiency (gasoline has a lot more energy per unit mass).
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

An important feature of an alcohol stove is "quiet" as pointed out in "Shug"s video:

Images

Alcohol stoves can simmer for cooking and baking:

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Alcohol stoves can simmer for cooking and baking:

Zelph, what would it take to get you to ship through 'The Wall' to Canada? I'd love a StarLyte with the new simmering/shutoff lid?

Bruce Traillium, brucetraillium.wordpress.com

Images

Are you referring to this on?

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Are you referring to this on?

Yep!

Images

Bruce, I have a few and will contact you.

I just sent you a message, Zelph — thanks!
    Mark

I know this is an old post but I am glad i discovered it and thought it was a bountiful amount of knowledge.
    Thank you for sharing

I like to use the hurricane stove. I make it out of two cans. I also like the packable grill. When I am not using either one of these due to weather conditions, then I eat food that does not need cooked. I like the no stove at all theory. I have a closet full of stoves that I have purchased over the years and it always ends the same. Just one more piece of gear on my storage pile. I find the best stove is my credit card. For most of the AT; if you can hike 30 miles a day then you can just swipe your card and eat as you go without carrying anything. Thinking about steak at the grill in Fontana. I am sure that I am not the only one who feels this way. I just don't see a need to carry a stove unless it is for camp fire cook out fun. The AT has resupplies every where. If you can even hike 15 miles a day then your chances of coming across a food supply are pretty good.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++