WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How do you section hike northern Maine ?

Hi All,

I'm planning a section hike of the 100 mile wilderness and Katahdin, and I'd appreciate any advice.

One option would be to drop a car near Baxter and get a shuttle down to Monson. Where might I park? Is the Abol Bridge campsite a possibility? I gather that no long-term car parking is available in Baxter. Who would be a recommended shuttler in this case?

What would be a good way to pick up a food drop if we hiked Monson to Baxter? We're over 50, a little slow, and don't want to take 2 weeks of food when we start.

Another idea I'm thinking about is to hike it in 2 halves, getting on/off at Jo-Mary Rd. I might leave a car in Monson and get shuttled to Jo-Mary and hike back to Monson. Then drive to near Baxter, leave the car, and get shuttled back to Jo-Mary. Is this unreasonable? Would a shuttle driver go down this dirt road? This would give us a chance to take a day or two off in the middle to let knees recover a little. Who might shuttlers be in this case?

I'm thinking of staying at The Birches campsite inside Baxter. The Companion says that this will hold 12 hikers in shelter or tents. Does anyone have an idea of what the odds are that this will fill up on a weekday in mid-August?

Thanks for your help
    Bob Shroy

Bob,

Many good questions. You should find an answer to many of them if you go to the ALDHA website and read the applicable parts of the Companion.

ATC publishes a list of shuttlers. That should answer a lot of your questions about logistics. And the locals should know the logging roads.

Birches are reserved for north bound thru-hikers. Their definition of a thru-hiker is anyone who has hiked in from Monson. There is a sign up list as you enter Baxter State Park near Abol Bridge.

NE AT 733 of 733 miles & Long Trail End-to-End Tramper Al's Avatar
    Images

Bob,

Last summer, I pretty much did as you suggest: Hiked the 100 Mile + Katahdin as section hiker, left myself a food drop (bear cannister) near the midpoint of the 100 miles, parked my car at Abol Bridge for the duration, and started my hike by being shuttled (by float plane) down to Monson. All this is quite feasible and went very smoothly, and I'd be happy to give you any details or advice on this that might be helpful to you.
    - Tramper Al

schmuttis

Default Maine section hiking

A lot of great information about section hiking Maine was recently added to http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org. The site is primarily for getting directions to AT parking/access areas but the person submitting the Maine information gave a great deal of detailed information about how to get from one section to the next via car.

Enjoy your hiking.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Tramper Al

the information you have concerning sectioning the northern part of Maine is invaluable....please consider making it an article here at WB, I bet many section hikers would find this info as good as gold! plus the way you did the plane shuttle was fantastic because you got to see something few of us ever do--the trail you would soon be hiking from above. If my knees permit I do plan on copying your method and as alluded to above I bet many others would too!
    Start out slow, then slow down.

My family wants to hike part of the 100 mile.

here is my question.....Can we hike from Abol to Polywog and get a shuttle out?

Can you get to Polly Wog per a road?

I am looking for a shuttle service also (we live in GA). Any recommendations?

Images

Default Askus3

See also Aaron's detailed trip reports. You'll need to find the specific thread where his report is linked which should be clearly indicated by its title.

Images

DeLorme's The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer is a handy reference for getting around off the asphault in Maine.

Default fly via seaplane

check out Kathadin Air. They will fly from Abol down to Monson. It is only 37 miles as the crow flies. It is about a 20 min ride for ~$100.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cool breeze View Post
    Can you get to Polly Wog per a road?
    Yes, in '99 I met a section hiker starting a hike there, actually his final A.T. section. He was dropped off by a car.

Images

Bob,
    I sectioned the 100 mile this past summer, actually from Caratunk to Abol Bridge. I parked my Jeep at Abol Bridge, got a shuttle with Boarstone (Kathy) and did a drop on Jo Mary road, and anopther at Monson.
    I suggest you contact boarstone here, on WB.
    If I can be of any assistance, just ask,
    DoughNut

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    DeLorme's The Maine Atlas and Gazetteer is a handy reference for getting around off the asphault in Maine.
    This is pretty good advice. If someone wants to get about halfway through the 100 mile wilderness try going to the Nahmakanta Unit by way of Penobscot Pond.
    One can get there by way of Greenville and Kokadjo.

Another road east of Greenville goes to the Gulf Hagas area and another road just south of Koakdjo iwll take you to the Whitecap area by way of First Roach Pond and Logan Brook.

It's all in the Maine Atlas and Gazetter.

Smile shuttle service

Hi ATTurtle,

I run a shuttle service out of Millinocket that offers the services that you are looking for. I am located in some of the guides and have mentioned it on this forum in the past. My business is Maine Quest Adventures and I'm a registered Maine Guide as well and know the area you are talking about very well. I'm a small business which allows me to be flexable to your needs. With that said all the other options mentioned here work as well it all depends on the individual.

Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by raftman View Post
    Hi ATTurtle,

I run a shuttle service out of Millinocket that offers the services that you are looking for. I am located in some of the guides and have mentioned it on this forum in the past. My business is Maine Quest Adventures and I'm a registered Maine Guide as well and know the area you are talking about very well. I'm a small business which allows me to be flexable to your needs. With that said all the other options mentioned here work as well it all depends on the individual.

Bryant
    I used Raftman, Mr. Bryant, this summer as a shuttle from Millinocket to Bangor. Half the price of the taxi service in town. Great guy. Highly recommended.

Raftman, sorry about the hassle getting my phone back to me. Thank you so much for all your efforts.
    Yahtzee

Images

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally View Post
    This is pretty good advice. If someone wants to get about halfway through the 100 mile wilderness try going to the Nahmakanta Unit by way of Penobscot Pond.
    One can get there by way of Greenville and Kokadjo.

Another road east of Greenville goes to the Gulf Hagas area and another road just south of Kokdjo iwll take you to the Whitecap area by way of First Roach Pond and Logan Brook.

It's all in the Maine Atlas and Gazetter.
    ATTurtle: I was just thru here: The above mentioned is not recommended...1st roach/logan brook road is gated off on the Greenville end. Roads thru this area from the Kokadjo area are not marked and they are numerous. For access to Natmakanta, go thru Jo-Mary gate. Thou there is a charge/fee for day use,($6 pp this season) you won't get lost going thru here. The Kokajo/Penobscot Pond road (after the pond) is getting undrivable, is under heavy logging, no signs. Get last minute updates on the dirt road conditons in this area before leaving as they change weekly/daily with weather/logging operators. Parking is available at Pollywog, p/u also is possible. Make plans for such well in advance. It's 28 miles of dirt road from Jo-Mary gate to Pollywog.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

I have sectioned this area with only one night out on the trail at Cloud Pond. I have some suggestions and links to help orient your way thru the 100 Mile Wilderness (southern half). I recommend you look at my report for ideas about how to to dayhike the Wilderness. Here is the link. Attached to my first post is my report with links to my photo albums. Maybe some of this will help. Any questions feel free to ask.
    Aaron

Images

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    ATTurtle: I was just thru here: The above mentioned is not recommended...1st roach/logan brook road is gated off on the Greenville end. Roads thru this area from the Kokadjo area are not marked and they are numerous. For access to Natmakanta, go thru Jo-Mary gate. Thou there is a charge/fee for day use,($6 pp this season) you won't get lost going thru here. The Kokajo/Penobscot Pond road (after the pond) is getting undrivable, is under heavy logging, no signs. Get last minute updates on the dirt road conditons in this area before leaving as they change weekly/daily with weather/logging operators. Parking is available at Pollywog, p/u also is possible. Make plans for such well in advance. It's 28 miles of dirt road from Jo-Mary gate to Pollywog.
    I have to disagree. If there is a gate on the First Roach approach to the Logan Brook road it must be a fairly recent installation by the AMC. I did not see that there last time I went through but maybe I take a different road. I could drive all the way to the Logan Brook tank trap.

I should have prefaced my post with more information as below.

There is a straight-forward way to the Pollywog Stream area by following the signs for Nahmakanta Lake Camps (NLC) just north of Kokadjo. I saw no active logging operations this year on that route all the way from Kokadjo to the bridge to Pollywog Stream at the north end of Nahmakanta Lake on good roads. The route is well signed.

This route saves gas money and a lot of miles if a person is coming up from the south

By the way there are just as many side roads north of the Henderson Gate as anywhere.

I know you do shuttles in the area and I respect that but there are a lot of ways to access the 100 Mile Wilderness. It is not that difficult.

++ New Posts ++