WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I have seen the future on the AT in Connecticut and its depressing

I was out for a few days backpacking on the AT in Connecticut from the NY line north. It is definitely spring before the canopy is leafing out but what really stuck out was the prevalence of Japanese barberry. It has nearly completely taken over the woods along the AT on the ridge lines under the oaks. I have read that Connecticut also has a long term overpopulation of deer and they have wiped out the undergrowth and expect that that has helped the barberry to fill in the niche that native plants once provided as deer do not eat barberry. At least the rhododendrons and mountain laurel seem to sticking it out. Along with the monoculture aspect of Japanese barberry is that its prime territory for ticks questing to find a host. I had hiked this section 30 years ago and do not remember the extent of this invasion. Throw in a lot of Wooly Adelgid damage to Hemlocks and its looking pretty grim in the woods.

It was quiet on the trail. we had the campsites to ourselves. One thing to be aware of is that the pumps that serves as the only water sources at several shelters are no longer in service and water need to be carried to them, sometimes quite a distance. There is temporary signage along the trail of these closures, but they should be more explicit signage on the last reliable water source before a shelter that the shelter does not have water. To many a pump not working is an inconvenience while a lack of any water at a site is far more of a major issue. It was still early spring so we did find a few intermittent streams but my guess is they are not reliable.

Images

Thanks for the update.
    Sad that there are so many invasive plants making their way into the USA. I once found a live larva embedded in a clothespin imported from china. Reported/gave it to the local conservation district headquarters in Illinois.

That doesn't sound good but I could name a couple quick, much more immediately depressing things with CT trail systems. One that I hope never makes it's way to the AT is the decision to start using plastic blazes. Like we need another reason to make more plastic in this world and not only litter the woods with it but nail it to trees everywhere in some of the only places left that have aren't littered with it!

Then you have the new Mohawk reroute (old AT) that turns 5 miles of trail through Wyantenock state forest into a road walk because of a tiny section through Dark Entry forest. They've (CFPA) completed a lot more reroutes since it was closed then what it would take to route it around staying completely in state forest and keep that trail open, obviously cause of Dudleytown but somebodys gotta be butt budies with Dark Entry forest for it to be like this and just keep public access denied.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

You can access a fair amount of the Coltsfoot Mountains on the Echo Rock Spur trail from two trail heads, one just west of the Popple Swamp Road intersection with Route 4. The other trail head is located from Jewel Road in Cornwall that passed through private land to the creek, which may no longer be maintained in favor of the Popple Swamp trailhead. The Echo Rock spur is an out and back trail, terminating at a view site just before the old blue trail meanders onto private property. There is no parking at the top of, or along, Dark Entry Road to the south, which is a very steep and narrow private road for residents that is posted.

The old blue trail that left State land and ventured through private land existed on a good-will basis with landowner(s) for a number of years. This goodwill was frequently tested and ignored by uninvited people leaving the trail in search of the Dudleytown "settlement", which is a source of myth and oddball tales of hauntings. The CFPA (Ct Forest and Parks Association) tried for a number of years to keep the lower section of this trail open but trespassing and resulting vandalism of the private lands reached the tolerance point which was compounded by the danger of people being hurt bushwhacking through unfamiliar rocky terrain and permission was revoked.

Unfortunately, there is no direct State land access north, south, or west of the Echo Rock Spur termination point to reach a road (Rt 4, Rt 7, or Rt 45). Any continuance of the spur trail will require crossing private lands. Given the poor history of trespassers, I doubt there will be much landowner embrace of a trail easement that could exit on a road or into the Mohawk State forest via Peck Mountain. However, this could be a good opportunity to move out of the aspersion casting peanut gallery into a responsible effort seeking a solution in establishing a serious trail extension that could reduce if not avoid criminal trespass.

In my view if locations trespassers want to visit are difficult to reach, the numbers will be greatly reduced. In looking at the topography of that area extending the Spur trail from the termination point north away from private property and moving downhill into the saddle to the east of Bald Mountain before turning west to traverse the north slope of Bald Mountain would create a fairly difficult barrier to bushwhack across and would dissuade all but the most resolute trespassers. It would also remain completely on State land until it wound around to the south flank of Bald Mountain. At that point the new trail could extend over private land exiting onto Bald Mountain Road or could continue into the Mohawk State Forest and Peck Mountain without local road access. That would be a heck of a trail if the routing can be mapped out. This route may have been looked at before, but someone with some energy and a start up plan may find a willing audience at the CFPA who has the legal and logistical horsepower to help make that kind of thing happen.

This type of project can take a while to start up and complete and needs someone young with energy reserves that can be harnessed into such a project. Let me know if you are interested in pursuing this in an effective way, I would be interested joining that effort.

That makes sense if Dark Entry Rd. is private to the extent they can't even allow foot travel access up it into the state forest which I guess is the case. Your idea sounds great I'm just trying to see how it's going to loop back to the AT, or maybe your thinking extend it and cut it. One of the real shames with the new Mohawk reroute is that it was one of the great loop options on the entire AT and it's pretty much not worth it when you add in the new road walk miles.

I would be up for helping extend any trails and I've heard rumors of several major ones including Narragansett, a Mattatuck extension then that proposed East-West Trail though it's been some time since I heard any mention of the latter 2. I'm not sure what I can do though, especially since CFPA usually doesn't respond to anything I inquire or offer to volunteer for. For example they recently closed the Whitestone-Cliffs/Jericho connection saying it's impassible. So I walked through since then and e-mailed them more them once saying it's not too bad, asking not to close it and that I'll keep it cleared and passable but no response... so what am I going to do for some major reroute of they won't let me keep this little connecter trail open or even respond about anything? Maybe cause I stopped donating money they wont respond but that's because they ignore anything I offer or ask about, tell me I could "kick sticks aside" then ask for more money for the trails. I called them out on that one. Anyway my efforts on trail just from clearing as I pass through is worth a lot more then a $25 membership and I get worried where all the money goes to, on trail I know my efforts count. So I would love to help with something like this but I'm not sure how and my idea of helping isn't donating more money. That's not meant as anything offensive either.

Then you might say "who cares about the WhiteStone-Jericho connecter?" but it actually allows you to connect from Hancock Brook in Waterbury to the Mattatuck which used to connect to the AT and could if that proposed reroute I seen years ago ever comes about. It's not blue blazes from Hancock Brook but there are options through the state forest.

edit - you would think that if the state/town maintains Dark Entry Rd. that they wouldn't be able to deny public access to walk into the state forest, since that's the only way in that side. Probably don't work like that though, or maybe it's privately maintained. Looks steep but with a short road walk up Route 4 and a foot bridge you can avoid Dark Entry Rd. and come up the state forest and reconnect that way. It would actually be a much shorter and flatter road walk then it was.
    Last edited by LazyLightning; 05-01-2024 at 00:47.
    NoDoz
    -

This side of the dirt
    Images

Just a side note about Dark Entry Road. In the early 70's I worked for the Town of Cornwall and Dark Entry Road was paved for about a 1/4 mile or so up to the last home on the right. From there up the mountain it was basically a creek bed, even though it was still a town road. An out of stater bought the property on the top of the mountain. They did their research and proved that the town had never legally abandoned the road, so the town was required to rebuild the road to the top of the mountain. It was quite a project !. The dump trucks had to be pushed up the hill with the road grader until a gravel base could be established.

Once the road was completed the No Trespassing signs went up. In essence the new landowner got a new driveway at the taxpayer’s expense.

Before the reroute the AT also went through Cathedral Pines in Cornwall. Unfortunately that area suffered major damage to the trees when the tornado went through Cornwall.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

That's an interesting history point about DE Road! Putting that road in must've been a real mess and dangerous as hell, I cannot imagine getting a fire truck up road with the tight, large tree obstructed turns or worse, going down it in winter after a foot of snow. A lot of old Town business was done with the shake of hand without proper documentation, which explains this unique road.

Regarding a trail extension, I will send along a PM with a crude estimation of where the trail might go to bridge the Wyantenock State Forest with the Mohawk State Forest. Given the history of the "uninvited" in that area this may take a while for acceptance so keep that in mind. It would be a major task to just get permission from the property owners involved, followed by CFPA buy in and help to arrange easement and other legalities.

It is difficult to say why the CFPA "closed" the White Cliff-Jericho trail connector, though I can think of a few reasons like there is no one who wants to tackle the trail manager position for it due to time and energy demands. These positions are filled by an appointment committee that meets quarterly to make recommendations. If you get through initial screening you will need to attend one or two of these meetings. The qualifications and duties are laid out in the CFPA website under volunteer opportunities, if this link doesn't work you can find it on their website under volunteer opportunities https://ctwoodlands.galaxydigital.co...need_id=489985.

Like most any organization of size things tend to move slower than one would like so patience is the key. I suspect you can find the answer in making a few connections within the CFPA trail manager community.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Mac View Post
    Before the reroute the AT also went through Cathedral Pines in Cornwall. Unfortunately that area suffered major damage to the trees when the tornado went through Cornwall.
    What year was the AT re-routed away from Cornwall to keep it on the West side of the Housatonic?

This side of the dirt
    Images

From a NY Times article dated May 8, 1988 - Article https://www.nytimes.com/1988/05/08/n...n-route-e.html

In Connecticut, where about 60 miles of the trail crossed the northwest corner of the state, the biggest change was to relocate the section between Falls Village and Cornwall Bridge. That section used to be east of the Housatonic River; it was about 24 miles miles long, followed busy roads in some places, and crossed over the lands of many private owners. The new route, which is west of the river, is about 15 miles long, has few road stretches and crosses mainly public land.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Images

From a NY Times article dated May 8, 1988 - Article https://www.nytimes.com/1988/05/08/n...n-route-e.html

In Connecticut, where about 60 miles of the trail crossed the northwest corner of the state, the biggest change was to relocate the section between Falls Village and Cornwall Bridge. That section used to be east of the Housatonic River; it was about 24 miles miles long, followed busy roads in some places, and crossed over the lands of many private owners. The new route, which is west of the river, is about 15 miles long, has few road stretches and crosses mainly public land.
    Gotchya, thank you. I hadn't realized that section had been moved - I remember it well given all my CT backpacking was in the 1970's.

Images

Personally I thought the CT section of the AT was meh except for the part north of Salisbury.

The campsites were very nice though.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Personally I thought the CT section of the AT was meh except for the part north of Salisbury.

The campsites were very nice though.
    The old Mohawk Trail route discussed above was much better than the current one.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    That's an interesting history point about DE Road! Putting that road in must've been a real mess and dangerous as hell, I cannot imagine getting a fire truck up road with the tight, large tree obstructed turns or worse, going down it in winter after a foot of snow. A lot of old Town business was done with the shake of hand without proper documentation, which explains this unique road.

Regarding a trail extension, I will send along a PM with a crude estimation of where the trail might go to bridge the Wyantenock State Forest with the Mohawk State Forest. Given the history of the "uninvited" in that area this may take a while for acceptance so keep that in mind. It would be a major task to just get permission from the property owners involved, followed by CFPA buy in and help to arrange easement and other legalities.

It is difficult to say why the CFPA "closed" the White Cliff-Jericho trail connector, though I can think of a few reasons like there is no one who wants to tackle the trail manager position for it due to time and energy demands. These positions are filled by an appointment committee that meets quarterly to make recommendations. If you get through initial screening you will need to attend one or two of these meetings. The qualifications and duties are laid out in the CFPA website under volunteer opportunities, if this link doesn't work you can find it on their website under volunteer opportunities https://ctwoodlands.galaxydigital.co...need_id=489985.

Like most any organization of size things tend to move slower than one would like so patience is the key. I suspect you can find the answer in making a few connections within the CFPA trail manager community.
    Traveler and Montana Mac - I'm very pleasantly surprised to see this great discussion of the Mohawk Trail! I don't know for sure, however I was under the impression that much of the eastern side of Coltsfoot mountain towards route 4 was State land. Do either of you know offhand? Otherwise I'll have to find and check my maps.

The one small item I can add to this discussion is a DEEP forester I spoke to shortly after the recent DEFA closure said that there were several potential routes in mind and led me to believe the issue had more to do with how steep the terrain on the public land was than anything else. He said that he had assisted with some bushwhacks to scout out a new route but they all ended up being too hazardous or logistically difficult.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

At least we have LaBonne’s….

Well it's great to hear that they are trying to work out a new route. It was actually scheduled to be a temporary closure for a few weeks on the trail notices page and then it changed to closed. I imagine they were trying to do something with the trail to deter people from trespassing and had so many people coming for "Dudley Town" while working that they just shut it all down, of course that's a guess.

I would still be interested in checking out the route Traveler was thinking, I was just lost looking at maps when I go towards Peck Mountain wondering how it would get back around. I was under the assumption that Dark Entry was a road they could still have a public trail on and that it was just that tiny section of Dark Entry forest that was the issue. State forest actually continues another half mile or so south from where the view is now and the closing point (to the bottom of the mountain). Route 4 borders the state forest for miles on the east but it looks pretty steep, that was my first thought on an alternate route. I'll give it a shot contacting CFPA again, maybe I could be a trail manager somewhere then work on convincing them to reopen and let me maintain that Whitestone-Jericho Connecter. Only thing I may swing a hammer at work every day but I wont be nailing plastic to trees. I would offer to get paint under my own expense and blaze anything that way though.
    NoDoz
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Traveler and Montana Mac - I'm very pleasantly surprised to see this great discussion of the Mohawk Trail! I don't know for sure, however I was under the impression that much of the eastern side of Coltsfoot mountain towards route 4 was State land. Do either of you know offhand? Otherwise I'll have to find and check my maps.
    The one small item I can add to this discussion is a DEEP forester I spoke to shortly after the recent DEFA closure said that there were several potential routes in mind and led me to believe the issue had more to do with how steep the terrain on the public land was than anything else. He said that he had assisted with some bushwhacks to scout out a new route but they all ended up being too hazardous or logistically difficult.
    My maps show the Coltsfoot mountains (massif?) is mostly inside the northern portion of the Wyantenock State Forest. The State Forest boundary on the eastern side of the massif is a little chopped up but basically runs from the creek crossing dam between Valley Brook and the base of the massif to just before Castle Road to the south. From there the Forest boundary is kind of chopped up in a "stair step" manor down to Bald Mountain to meet the Western boundary that travels north just above Dark Entry Road to meet Rt 4 to the north. The western boundary is rather thin from the intersection of Rts 4 and 7 starting just west of DE Road and follows Furnace Brook a quarter mile or so before expanding its reach from Rt 4 and the massif north to West Road where it is cut up in stair step fashion to the Valley Creek dam crossing. There are two trailheads for the northern section, one from Jewel Street (may be limited access due to creek flooding, and a newer access on Rt 4 just west of Poplar Swamp road that crosses Furnace Brook and the marshland area to reach the Jewel st access trail.

Over the years I have done a bit of bushwhacking on the massif in various places in the State Forest and can attest the western slope is very steep most everywhere with few routes that are not very steep, rocky, mossy, and wet. I have thought about a long loop trail since DERA closed and it sounds like DEEP and/or CFPA are looking at a similar option. It really makes little sense to close off half the massif for reasons unknown.
    Looking at my maps (some a bit dated) it would appear the Coltsfoot mountain massif is inside the northern portion of the Wyantenock State Forest. The State Forest boundary runs along the Rt 4 corridor starting at West Street going south to just an access parcel as the boundary approaches

[QUOTE=LazyLightning;2305463]That doesn't sound good but I could name a couple quick, much more immediately depressing things with CT trail systems. One that I hope never makes it's way to the AT is the decision to start using plastic blazes. Like we need another reason to make more plastic in this world and not only litter the woods with it but nail it to trees everywhere in some of the only places left that have aren't littered with it!

The white plastic blazes being referred to are on a temporary bypass relocation of the AT on private land that is being used until the washed-out bridge over Macedonia Brook is replaced. The private landowner has given the CT-AMC permission to use their land for the trail and the CT-AMC felt that it was appropriate not to add painted blazes on their property. This is the only section where the plastic blazes are being used. There are no plans to use such blazes at any time in the future.

Yes, Japanese Barberry and wooly adelgid are wreaking havoc with the environment. While present, the deer population in the higher elevations has not been a particularly destructive. Currently one of the biggest challenges the CT-AMC AT Committee is facing is the explosion of undergrowth that is a result in the die-off of the hemlock from the adelgid and the oak from the spongy moth.

There were water pumps at only two locations in CT. (Ten Mile Shelter and Silver Hill). All other camping areas in the state have stream or spring water sources. The pumps were disabled, not because the water was contaminated (the CT-AMC had them tested every year and they always passed with ease), but because they were deemed to be "public water supplies", and as such were going to be required to meet all of the treatment (including chlorination) and testing requirements of any municipal water supply. With no budget or manpower to accomplish this, the decision was to disable the pumps. There are permanent signs posted both NOBO and SOBO for both of these sites indicating where the last reliable water source is located.

[QUOTE=liptackj;2305584]
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    That doesn't sound good but I could name a couple quick, much more immediately depressing things with CT trail systems. One that I hope never makes it's way to the AT is the decision to start using plastic blazes. Like we need another reason to make more plastic in this world and not only litter the woods with it but nail it to trees everywhere in some of the only places left that have aren't littered with it!

The white plastic blazes being referred to are on a temporary bypass relocation of the AT on private land that is being used until the washed-out bridge over Macedonia Brook is replaced. The private landowner has given the CT-AMC permission to use their land for the trail and the CT-AMC felt that it was appropriate not to add painted blazes on their property. This is the only section where the plastic blazes are being used. There are no plans to use such blazes at any time in the future.
    Well that is great news regarding blazes on the AT, unfortunately they are a permanent thing on the blue blazed trails everywhere else I've seen in CT lately. I figured the AT would not go that route.
    NoDoz
    -

++ New Posts ++