WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Camp shoes and trail runners and boots added grip for water/slick rocks.

Was thinking about making attachable felt outer soles for river crossing/playing camp shoes (generic crocs) then decided will put little silicon treads instead.
    But think Buytl rubber might adhere a lot better and probably grippier too.

Any other mastic sealant you might consider better for the task?

Then also considering carrying a small tube and apply it to the hikers the night before a slick water section or steep granite section, for any shoes I might have that I know will not perform ideally.

Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure, silicone will peel off too easily.

A real sticky stuff that might hold better is the Seamsealer (and similar) PU thing.

Personally, I don't have much experience in river crossings, but as a former rock climber I well know that its about 80% how you walk and climb, how you place your feet on the rocks, and just 20% of the quality of the soles, the friction of it against rocks.

sounds like a good idea. how about making the felt idea like slip on/off micro spikes?

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post
    sounds like a good idea. how about making the felt idea like slip on/off micro spikes?
    Micro spikes may be a little too much and lead to stumbles, but Nano-spikes may work ok and may even work well barefoot. I hadn't thought about those for river crossings until your pose and will try them out on some river crossings that I know are upcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Micro spikes may be a little too much and lead to stumbles, but Nano-spikes may work ok and may even work well barefoot. I hadn't thought about those for river crossings until your pose and will try them out on some river crossings that I know are upcoming.
    I don’t think he was suggesting micro spikes for river crossings, but felt soles that slip on, and off, like you do with micro spikes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post
    Dang it!!! I put it back in the ether.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I don’t think he was suggesting micro spikes for river crossings, but felt soles that slip on, and off, like you do with micro spikes.
    Bah, certainly got that wrong! Thanks for the heads up before I headed out with modified nano-spikes to play in frigid water.

Due to recent feet issues, I'm heavily using my "Skinners 2.0" barefoot socks.
    While they are a bit clumsy to put on the first time, I got used to how to handle them and now can slip them on and off quite in style and speed.
    They hold extremely well on any surface, be it wet or dry, just like rock climbing shoes would.
    Highly recommended for river crossings, I guess.
    https://skinners.cc/en/cms/skinners-20

++ New Posts ++