WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post Pennsylvania section hikes - anyone interested?

Looking for a hiker buddy to join section hikes in PA.

If I was still in PA I would love to join you. I actually met a hiking partner on this site 8 years ago and we sectioned the entire state of PA over the winter of 2015-2016 in preparation for my thru hike.

Where are planning to hike? What time of year? KTA has something coming up soon. (Check their homepage.)

Been off trail for a couple of years and looking to resume section hiking this summer with my 18 year old son. I've got 1000 miles under my belt (Fontana to Pen/Mar). Pen/Mar to Carlisle looks like the next obvious section for us. Can we do it (65 miles) in 5 days? I like 15+ miles a day, but don't know how much the rocks will slow us down.

Is that section likely to be very busy in early-mid June?

Also, a good lead on a shuttle from pen/mar to Carlisle would be welcomed.

Not particularly look for a partner -- already got one.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    Been off trail for a couple of years and looking to resume section hiking this summer with my 18 year old son. I've got 1000 miles under my belt (Fontana to Pen/Mar). Pen/Mar to Carlisle looks like the next obvious section for us. Can we do it (65 miles) in 5 days? I like 15+ miles a day, but don't know how much the rocks will slow us down.

Is that section likely to be very busy in early-mid June?

Also, a good lead on a shuttle from pen/mar to Carlisle would be welcomed.

Not particularly look for a partner -- already got one.

Thanks!
    If I recall correctly you’ll hit just a few rocks in the couple miles south of Ensign Cowell shelter, otherwise pretty smooth into Duncannon. Would probably terminate in Boiling Springs as the trail goes right thru it. Or if you end up with time and flexibility, top up your water there and trot thru the Cumberland Valley, get picked up at PA 944 or Conodoguinet Creek There’s no water or camping north of Boiling Springs until Darlington Shelter, so if you leave Boiling Springs it’s a hard commit, unless your pick up is flexible.

All in all not a lot of elevation change; if you do 15+ on rest of the trail, you can probably do a little more on this section.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream section View Post
    Looking for a hiker buddy to join section hikes in PA.
    I have a large gap from Swatara Gap to Hwy 17A in NY; about 190 miles. Planned to do it spring of 2025 as I am committed to a VA hike this spring. I am always looking for a 10-18 mile average per day type. Does that blend with anyone else's plans?

++ New Posts ++