WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

So, back to the post at hand....
    What's the latest, attempt still suspended? Any talk of restarting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    So, back to the post at hand....
    What's the latest, attempt still suspended? Any talk of restarting?

Yesterday Kathryn posted a short video from her hospital bed and showed the IV antibiotic drip. Said she wanted to get back to the trees.
    I checked Instagram today. Apparently I've been "Unliked". I can't see her page anymore.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    TYUMatt. Appreciate your solid feedback.

I caught that too. I thought it was bloodroot.

Traillium knows Trilliums better.
    Aye!
    But does he know tribbles?
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Yesterday Kathryn posted a short video from her hospital bed and showed the IV antibiotic drip. Said she wanted to get back to the trees.
    I checked Instagram today. Apparently I've been "Unliked". I can't see her page anymore.
    Wayne

Maybe it's just that you can't see her "story"? I noticed the same thing, but I could go to her Instagram page, but if there hasn't been an update to the "story", it disappears after 24 hours. Pure speculation on my part, as I'm not sure why anyone would want to document an FTK with technology that removes itself after 24 hours.

The Insta-stories disappear after 24 hours. Chances are she's focused on recovery and healing from the emotional aspect of dropping out.

Perhaps. I'm totally non-Instagram savvy.
    I had her circular avatar next to mine on the banner above the photos of folks I follow and now it's gone.
    Instagram might be hip and cool....
    The NOBO HOBOS are doing a great job of conveying the look and feel of the PCT.
    Looking forward to Kathryn's full recovery and return to hiking.
    Wayne

Mystery solved. I'm still following Kathryn.
    Bulletin to the Millennial World: Get a clue Y'all.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by kythruhiker View Post
    Maybe it's just that you can't see her "story"? I noticed the same thing, but I could go to her Instagram page, but if there hasn't been an update to the "story", it disappears after 24 hours. Pure speculation on my part, as I'm not sure why anyone would want to document an FTK with technology that removes itself after 24 hours.
    I was curious about it as well- https://help.instagram.com/142167909546084

Looks like even for the poster- unless you manually download/save it the post is lost to you as well. Seems a social media branding tool to connect and keep the conversation/engagement timely (IE- your target audience can't catch up so must follow along in semi-real time or miss out).

Yar- unless you are following the golden rule from a sponsor- seems a tough way to do this. But I don't know (and am not knocking) the various complexities or latest tricks of social media stardom that seems to be required for folks seeking/maintaining sponsorship... whatever pays the bills. I would imagine though you could have a person at home with access you your account download the story as you go (or store on your phone) for later publication...

A simple blog of some sort still seems not only the best way to do daily updates/diary entries- but also connect with hikers who are likely to occasionally hike and miss a few days of live feed type stuff. Maybe facey isn't cool anymore now that old farts figured out how to use it... but amongst hikers at least it still seems in fashion. And still handy when someone comes across your efforts by chance as they can run through your page and catch up. I may have eventually caved on signing up for Insty at some point... but not exactly a site contusive to catching up like the others can be... though the pics always look good and Joey seems to like using it for that.

Matt had a quite uncool flip phone and slow connection; but sent his short video updates to a friend at home for delayed posting. https://www.youtube.com/user/ATsub60
    He also spelled out some great tips above on note keeping... batteries and devices fail... nothing wrong with being a bit old fashioned.

Joey trained his phone to do voice to text stuff and simple voice memos for those terrified of physical paper and archaic manual physical writing devices. Some of those were pretty funny getting an "email" from Joey in the form of him jogging on the trail talking out his responses. He also used the method to make his daily updates as he could voice dictate while moving and dump the text/post it on a break or when a signal is available. http://joeycamps.blogspot.com/
    After his hike was done (PCT) he went back and added pictures where needed and cleaned them up a bit for posterity.

Part of the documentation goal is to also provide a clean record for those that follow... so even years later... your fellow FKT aspirant can have the best chance of success. Besides "having a time to beat" the playing field is even further leveled by sharing such detailed information. While not technically illegal in any sense of the word... it is poor form and dishonorable not to share your beta. If anything, the FKT system is intentionally biased towards producing a new, faster time as it is so commonly encouraged to truly help others who follow.

Either way- Red Toe has all the info she could possibly want and I too wish her a speedy recovery, square cut toe nails, some Darn Tuff Cushion Hiker Socks, and some fresh merrells at least one full size bigger.

PS- I also posted a response/summary to another aspiring hiker on FKT site some might find worth a read.
    http://fastestknowntime.proboards.co...n-trail?page=7

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

Either way- Red Toe has all the info she could possibly want and I too wish her a speedy recovery, square cut toe nails, some Darn Tuff Cushion Hiker Socks, and some fresh merrells at least one full size bigger.

PS- I also posted a response/summary to another aspiring hiker on FKT site some might find worth a read.
    http://fastestknowntime.proboards.co...n-trail?page=7
    The best advice in a concise format.
    We should all take notes.
    PS: I refuse to join Facebook in order to read content on Facebook.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    The Insta-stories disappear after 24 hours.
    If you save them to your timeline, they'll remain. But the Stories feature is "inspired" by Snapchat stories, and Snapchat's main differentiator is its impermanance.

RE: Documenting of FKT hikes.
    1. In the hallowed tradition of ships at sea, a noon position report be appropriate. A photo taken with a GPS enabled camera (smart phone) hopefully including a distinctive landscape where available.
    2. Daily campsite photo with GPS info as in #1.
    3. If using a Guthook app or similar with a location sharing feature send a daily position to two email addresses. Guthook stores these and sends them wherever cell service is available.
    4. Backup photos as available.
    Belt and suspenders for sure. Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    which is an improvement from recent claims that came with selfies but sans splits... I can't help but shake my head at such dearth of data.
    Not going to lie, it does irk me that some FKTs are claimed as valid with only a person's social media posts.

Back on topic.
    Kathryn Jones posted another installment in her story. When she leaves the hospital she is headed to Colorado. She wondered how soon she could wear climbing shoes.
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    Not going to lie, it does irk me that some FKTs are claimed as valid with only a person's social media posts.
    It irks me that cyber bullies have more say on the FKT criteria than the top athletes in the field, particularly when demanding that least common denominator ethics be used.

Was Ward Leonard really more empowering than the rest of us?

The best advice in a concise format.
    We should all take notes.
    PS: I refuse to join Facebook in order to read content on Facebook.
    Wayne

Amen brother!! Could not agree more on either point.

Sent from my 5046G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler View Post
    SMH at most of this thread, but...eh, what? Who exactly did Ward empower?

It irks me that cyber bullies have more say on the FKT criteria than the top athletes in the field, particularly when demanding that least common denominator ethics be used.

What are you trying to say?

"Saying more" and "having more say" are two very different things.

Images

Back on topic.
    Kathryn Jones posted another installment in her story. When she leaves the hospital she is headed to Colorado. She wondered how soon she could wear climbing shoes.
    Wayne
    Saw that this morning, along with fun video of toenail removal. Curious if she's going to give this attempt another go this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    Yar...especially considering this provision was added after cleaning up the mess left on the trail.
    Said mess was actively discussed prior to the start of the next trail, loaners were offered for free(and declined) and despite all that the provision was not enforced.

!!! NOTE: Due to recent problems, I'm going to say flat out that a satellite tracker (SPOT or DeLorme) is REQUIRED if you want to have an FKT recognized on any route longer than a couple of hours. You do not need to make the track public during your trip (and may not want to for safety reasons), but myself or some other objective third party must have access to the track during your trip. DO NOT come to me after the fact and say you didn't know a tracker was necessary or just didn't want to afford one! Also, a SPOT or DeLorme track is necessary but not sufficient verification - you still need to document what you did with a detailed report, photos, etc.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
++ New Posts ++