WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Sun protection

Journal Entries

Default Sun protection

With really fair skin, I've always expected that one day I'll have skin cancer, so I've tried to pay attention to various spots and sores. A couple years ago after a rash and some sores that weren't healing, my dermatologist tested a sample, told me I have skin lupus, wrote me a prescription, and told me to avoid the sun. That didn't sound exactly good, but hey it wasn't cancer, so I put my worries aside. No way I was going to stop hiking.

Since then I've used the prescription (Plaquenil) very little, pretty much just when I'd been outside a lot and had developed a rash.

Beginning around Jan 1st I'm experiencing my first lupus flare: sore, stiff, swollen joints in my hands and wrists at first, now in my shoulders. Had a visit this morning with a new doctor (primary care - to get a rheumatologist referral). Current symptoms + online research + doctor visit = more obedient patient. I will take my medicine. I will follow through with associated monitoring for side effects. I will avoid excessive sun exposure, which can trigger a flareup. But I won't stop hiking (doctor did not discourage hiking).

I'm sure I'm not the only one advised to stay out of the sun. Sunscreen is laughable for me, washed off in sweat within a short while. A wide-brimmed hat is okay, but only works for the shaded areas and when the sun is high. I've used an umbrella where trail conditions merit the extra weight. Unless it's frigid, I usually hike in shorts and short sleeves. Is it better to die slowly from lupus, or quickly from heat stroke? For others with similar issues, how do you handle it?

I always wear a t-shirt, even in the Tropics, even in the pool or ocean. After a bout of skin cancer on the shoulders due to excessive sunburns during my youth, I am fairly religious about limiting my exposure. I always use a 50SPF on my face and wear a billed hat when I can(especially since the hair started....ahem....thinning...). I find that my legs really never tan while walking/hiking...

I wear a white, lightweight syn t-shirt in the pool. Google "swim shirt"...

Honestly, it doesn't seem any hotter, especially in direct sunlight in the Tropics. I welcome having the shirt block/reflect the sun's radiation. It does keep you cooler than absorbing the radiation...just sayin...

Try Columbia sportswear (no relationship other than a happy customer) for stuff that's rated up to 50 by the skin cancer foundation.
    The zero-freeze stuff works well if you're active and the "fishing" shirts are good for hikes in cooler weather and general hiking. You can get long pants and fingerless gloves to go the hat you have. Save the sunscreen for when you really need it- when the reflection from the snow hits your face! Try an outlet store or the sale items to save some money.
    Patagonia also carries a selection, but not as big.
    I generally look for Australian standards or the skin cancer approval on sun-protective clothing to ensure that it's tested to some sort of level not created solely by the marketing department.

Using sunscreen and waiting 15 minutes in the shade (per the label) before going into the sun is simply not practical.

Journal Entries

I grewed up at the beach and fishing offshore.
    Ive had more than my fair share of sunburns, and have had lots of precancerous things cut off.

But I dont worry about it too much. For the most part if you pay attention to your body, and go to dermatologist every few yrs, your going to catch most things that are bad before they get out of hand.

I hate sunscreen. Almost never use the stuff except offshore on legs, hands and face/neck. I prefer to go to beach bfore 1030 am or after 4 pm when sun intensity isnt problem and wear none. I wear long sleeves , hat, wraparound sunglasses. Long pants hiking for sun protection in arid places works fine.

By the time my dad was my age, he had several cancers removed from face. We had a lot of the same exposures. I think other lifestyle choices and medications can influence your bodies resistance to cancers. My dad also had had esophageal cancer.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-16-2017 at 21:27.

Journal Entries
    Images

X2 Columbia pfg
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I always wear a t-shirt, even in the Tropics, even in the pool or ocean. After a bout of skin cancer on the shoulders due to excessive sunburns during my youth, I am fairly religious about limiting my exposure. I always use a 50SPF on my face and wear a billed hat when I can(especially since the hair started....ahem....thinning...). I find that my legs really never tan while walking/hiking...

I wear a white, lightweight syn t-shirt in the pool. Google "swim shirt"...

Honestly, it doesn't seem any hotter, especially in direct sunlight in the Tropics. I welcome having the shirt block/reflect the sun's radiation. It does keep you cooler than absorbing the radiation...just sayin...
    I'm in the same boat. Scotch-Irish heritage and 6 confirmed cases of skin cancer, including a melanoma that left a tennis ball sized divot in my right shoulder. Yet I choose to live in Florida...

I never go shirtless anymore, even when swimming. When hiking I wear a wide brimmed hat and either a long sleeved shirt or ample sun block on my arms. I always use sun block on my ears, nose and cheeks.

One more thing, if you have a pale complexion and are prone to sun related issues, don't forget that sunglasses are a must as well. People prone to skin cancers have a higher likelyhood of cataracts and cancer in the eye from excessive UV exposure.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

There is a common myth that the "green tunnel" of the AT will protect you from sun damage, which unfortunately is not accurate. UV rays in sunlight you cannot see continue on to bounce around and find you even when visible light dwindles in shaded areas. Just because you cannot feel the sun on your skin does not mean its not being damaged.

Hiking the "green tunnel" is not always a tunnel. There are places along the trail where you will pass through or stop to enjoy a view that are not shaded and the surrounding rock, grasses/plants, and water reflect sunlight in a lot of directions. Think of how many little glades, glens, open spots, viewpoints, and road/open field walks where the sun is not obstructed you walk through over a 10 mile trail and the effect becomes concerning. UV damage is cumulative, so all these small exposures add up quickly.

There really isn't a perfect solution to this issue. Clothing helps by covering sensitive skin but may not be practical to remain covered for the day. Most dermatologists and surgeons say sun screen is the best all-purpose defense outside of avoiding the "danger hours" of sun (10:00 am - 3:00 pm). Obviously for hiking, using a screen designed for athletes that is not greasy and resistant to sweating would be appropriate and is what I use (#50 Neutrogena "dry"). Though reapplication is needed (I reapply every 2 hours as a general rule), its is a small price to pay to avoid being cut, scraped, frozen, and scared from the removal of carcinoma or melanoma. Those affected by by other illnesses caused or aggravated by sun exposure are probably going to find this the best overall route as well.

There are some lucky folks who do not appear to be affected by a life time in the sun and suffer nothing more than wrinkled skin from the experience. Unfortunately when based on their experience, some of these folks wave off the science and maintain no sunscreen is needed on the AT because its mostly shady. However, for those of us with skin diseases aggravated by sunlight and/or carcinoma or melanoma histories, that is dangerous if not lethal advice. At minimum, avoiding another disfiguring surgery or removal scar is, to me anyway, worth the hassle of sun screen application. I am never without it.
    Last edited by Traveler; 01-17-2017 at 08:50.

I'm worried there will not be that "green tunnel" effect on some sections of the trail down here due to the fire damage. More sun exposure on the southern end of the trail.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    ... Obviously for hiking, using a screen designed for athletes that is not greasy and resistant to sweating would be appropriate and is what I use (#50 Neutrogena "dry"). Though reapplication is needed (I reapply every 2 hours as a general rule), its is a small price to pay to avoid being cut, scraped, frozen, and scared from the removal of carcinoma or melanoma. Those affected by by other illnesses caused or aggravated by sun exposure are probably going to find this the best overall route as well...
    Maybe it is "obvious", but somehow I didn't know about sunscreens for athletes. My experience is limited to use of beach products. Doing a little quick research, I ran across some cautionary info about Avobenzone, which is in Neutrogena products:

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock feels like you have nothing on, but offers broad-spectrum protection to help prevent sun damage. This dermatologist-tested formula uses Avobenzone to provide advanced protection against damaging UVA and UVB rays, along with Dry-Touch technology for an ultra-light, non-shiny finish. Fast-absorbing and waterproof, this non-oily formula is enriched with anti-oxidants to help skin fight the harm caused by environmental damage. Heavy sun protection never felt this light on your skin...

Compare with this:
    Instead, the EWG reports, [sunscreen] should be just one tool in your arsenal when it comes to keeping your skin safe from the sun. In fact, they even go so far as to say that “sunscreen should be your last resort.”
    Your first lines of defense:

• Clothing: shirts, hats, shorts and pants can protect against UV rays and reduce your risk by 27 percent.
    • Planning around the sun: Spend time outside when the sun is low in the sky, like in the early morning or late afternoon
    • Finding or making shade: Look for natural shade, like from trees and bring umbrellas or canopies with you to the beach.
    • According to Bailey and the EWG you should avoid sun care products that include avobenzone, oxybenzone, retinyl palmitate and anything that promises an SPF value above 50 (SPF protection tops out at 30 to 50).
      “Avobenzone products are not stable. They break down once formulated and they break down when they neutralize UV rays on your skin,” Bailey said. “And oxybenzone products are absorbed through your skin and the chemical has been demonstrated to be a hormone disruptor.

Images

I have sun sensitivity issues too and will wear a ball cap, long sleeves and use zinc oxide ointment on my hands and face.

Sitting in the Dermatologist office now. I've lost count of all of the slice and dice events. I have a 6" scar on my left forearm. A permanent reminder of the melanoma that was found early and removed.
    Long story short: cover up like a Bedouin. You won't die from covering your skin.
    Be safe.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Sitting in the Dermatologist office now. I've lost count of all of the slice and dice events. I have a 6" scar on my left forearm. A permanent reminder of the melanoma that was found early and removed.
    Long story short: cover up like a Bedouin. You won't die from covering your skin.
    Be safe.
    Wayne

Glad it was caught early!
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Long sleeves, pants, wide hat. Sunscreen on the cheeks and nose tip.

I was blase' about the sun in my younger years and often wore a ball cap or sunbathed a lot at the ocean (Grew up in RI). I now have a fair amount of sunspots on my cheek bones. And I tend to tan well due to my southern Italian ancestry. If I was of northern European descent, I suspect the sun spots would be worse and possibly cancerous.

Clothing is much more practical in the dry and warm areas where I hike versus the muggier East Coast admittedly.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

My dad is fighting metastatic melanoma. The immunotherapy seems to be working for the moment, thankfully. My dermo tells me that triples my risk of melanoma - gee, thanks. I'm still not that great about long sleeves and long pants, though I do wear sunscreen when hiking, and a wide brimmed hat. I need to get better....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

All the best to you and your dad.
    I was extremely lucky. The detection of my melanoma was a complete miracle. Detection to skilled and thorough removal in two weeks. When has anyone seen a surgeon scrubbing up at 6:30pm? Again, I was extremely fortunate.
    My new hiking outfit:
    Helly Hansen long sleeve wicking base layer.
    Polyester long sleeve ventilated fishing shirt.
    Nylon lightweight long pants.
    Sunday Afternoon River Driver hat.
    Gloves.
    Bandanna
    Sunscreen on any bits not covered.
    Overkill? Perhaps. Better safe than sorry? Why not?
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++