WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping bag, compression bag?

For people using backpacks without a sleeping bag compartment, how do you pack it? Stuff sack? Compression bag? Just put it in there?

looking for ideas....

Down quilt , stuff sack on bottom of pile.

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Down quilt , stuff sack on bottom of pile.

Thom
    I stuff my down quilts into a trash compactor bag in the bottom of the pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Everyone does their own thing packing. If you go on multi-day hikes where weather may be an issue, you should use a waterproof bag liner if you dont use a waterproof stuff sack. I use one of these for my sleeping bag:

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=3&o3=514-32

That said, almost all of my trips are either weekenders or quick overnights and always in fair weather. I do have a pack cover, but if there was going to be inclement weather I would probably use a 13-gal kitchen garbage bag as a liner just in case.

I lik those S2S nano dry bags bc they work and they're crazy light. If you have a compressible down bag, the 8L will probably work and it weighs 0.8oz. Thats not a lot of weight for a lot of peace of mind.

In a dry bag (squished but not a compression sack) at the bottom of a trash compactor bag in the bottom of my pack.

Using the sack the bag came with is usually a good idea. If you want a little more protection, get a similar sized dry sack.

Using a dry sack can save you from accidents. I've seen people who use water bladders inside their pack have them leak for one reason or another and soak their bag. Not good. Having a compactor bag liner helps protect from that kind of accident, provided the bladder is outside the liner, and there are there are no holes in it.

I'm not a fan of compression sacks, they turn the bag into a beach ball which is hard to pack around. I'd rather have it more or less fill up the bottom of the pack. The length of an average sleeping bag stuff sack is about the same as the width of an average backpack.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The only thing I would use a compression bag on is a synthetic bag, or a -20 or lower bag of any kind.

I just stuff mine in its' stuff sack, put it next to the sleeping mat in the bottom of the S2S eVent dry bag/pack liner, load the rest of my gear that needs to be WP on top and roll down to compress the whole package(the S2S eVent vents the air out of the bottom of the pack liner/dry bag as you roll it down from the top).

I have a Big Agnes and use the BA compression straps (girdle) - packs down pretty nicely

Images

I have nearly always just stuffed the bag at the bottom of my pack in the trash compactor bag, letting stuff on top keeping it mashed down nicely. Only when I'm extremely tight for space have I felt the need for a stuff sack of any sort.

Quote Originally Posted by wayside_mn View Post
    I stuff my down quilts into a trash compactor bag in the bottom of the pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ok ok ! I do use a turkey roaster bag for my quilt and dry stuff

thom ;0)

Stuff my bag into the pack on the bottom. No stuff sack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stuff my bag into the pack on the bottom".

is that why you use soggybottom as your name here ?

<<rimshot>>

But, I was thinking exactly the same thing...hope that isn't a down bag...just sayin...

++ New Posts ++