WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Standing Indian Loop Status

I know a lot of you enjoy the Standing Indian Loop as I do. I hiked the Kimsey Creek Trail from the Standing Indian Campground to the AT, the AT northbound to the Longbranch Trail back to Standing Indian campground. This was Thur, Fri finishing up Saturday AM (1/12/17 - 1/14/17).

The Kimsey Creek Trail and the Longbranch Trails are both untouched by the fire. However the entire AT trail starting at Kimsey Creek (NB AT mile 85.4) to the bypass road on top of Albert Mt (NB AT mile 99.8) is burned. To be clear, the AT is burned south of the Kimsey Creek Trail however that is where I started the AT at so I cannot comment on that section. A lot of trees are still standing but pretty much the entire forest floor is black soot. I will be curious to see how many trees and bushes recover in spring. It looked like a lot of the roots burnt however which I fear will no work out well.

The trail however is in fine shape. Some small erosion but not bad.

Good news is both shelters in this section were saved (Standing Indian Shelter and the Carter Gap Shelter). I was planning on tenting on top of Standing Indian Mountain (not at the shelter) but no way. So I hiked on to the Carter Gap shelter for the night.

Water: A lot of people have asked about water (runoff and can it be hiked?). Yes...I kept my feet dry with a little agility on some rocks at a few creeks. Water is flowing and a in a few places the trail itself is serving as runoff from the snow. But still an excellent weekend hike.

Even with the burn, it is still a great and beautiful hike. Just plan on staying at the shelters. And once I got to the fun final ascent on Albert Mt., there was no evidence of the fire from there on out. It seems clear this road served as the firebreak for the forest service to stop the fire. Animal life is pretty scarce right now with no cover.

Enjoy the hike. I will be going back as this is an excellent loop (roughly 30 miles).

SC Ed
    SC Ed
    -- My greatest adventure can be tomorrow!

Why didn't you camp at the top of Standing Indian?

Please, please, please, don't tell me it burned all the way from the bottom to the top...

Images

likewise was wonderin the same question........

maybe too "nasty" from the charcoal and all that?

Images

The ground is completely covered with ash. A lot of trees and some of the Rhododendron's are still standing so I am hoping it will recover this spring. But at the top the leaves are pretty much gone from the Rhododendron's and there are a lot of trees burned down. I am anxious to see what blooms this spring. I am pasting a picture below I snapped between the Standing Indian shelter and the top. It is pretty typical (I really shot a random shot, not looking for the worst). It just occurred to me I should get a pic.

SC Ed

Images

Sorry, I am a rookie at this site and the pic did not show.

Between Standing Indian shelter and the top of the mt. Sorry, It came in upside down?? BTW, that is for/clouds, not smoke.

IMG_1641-1.JPG

Here is a pic from Carter Gap shelter. Also upside down. I could use a clue if someone knows why these are upside down?

IMG_1642-1.JPG

Anyway, these show you what pretty much the entire Standing Indian Mountain looks like right now.
    SC Ed

Images

So, the world turned upside down?
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Thanks for posting.

Thank you for the detailed information on the damage to the trail. This is very sad news. Hopefully, the forest will start to recover this spring.

Do you happen to know the mile marker for the longbranch trail junction? Just trying to gauge how far north you went. I'd like a first hand report north of Winding Stair to NOC.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    Do you happen to know the mile marker for the longbranch trail junction? Just trying to gauge how far north you went. I'd like a first hand report north of Winding Stair to NOC.
    Yes, the Longbranch Trail is at Glassmine Gap, NB Mi 103.3.
    SC Ed

Any idea about the area below Standing Indian- Beech Creek Trail and Big Scaly? I love that area.

++ New Posts ++