WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bear repelent option??

Hi everyone. New here and more of a do-it-yourselfer but lurking and trying to find out more.
    This is just a "wanting to know but not planning on doing it" question.
    Years ago I read somewhere that instead of using pepper spray as a ber deterent that an option was using the 20' hornet/wasp spray. Reasons were something like longer range and being able to aim better (probably a negative?) where pepper spray tended to be a closer range and possibility of blowing back into yourself and basically doing its work on you.
    Like said not planning on using it but just something always wondered about.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IroquoisArcher View Post
    Hi everyone. New here and more of a do-it-yourselfer but lurking and trying to find out more.
    Years ago I read somewhere that instead of using pepper spray as a ber deterent that an option was using the 20' hornet/wasp spray. Reasons were something like longer range and being able to aim better (probably a negative?) where pepper spray tended to be a closer range and possibility of blowing back into yourself and basically doing its work on you.
    Pepper spray has been tested and proven effective, anything else would be a gamble. But if you're talking about the AT, there is no need for bear spray.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Journal Entries

Interesting
    head up to glacier national park, or yellowstone, and give it a try
    report back

bear spray makes a cloud, to compensate for lack of accuracy. It is also doesnt do permanent damage to bear

can you spray a charging grizzly in his eyes or up his nose with a stream?

Ill just say it , stupid idea all the way around.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-14-2017 at 11:48.

It's not meant to be a funny video...but....you've gotta see it to believe it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asaj-hN-pSM

And, the absolutely funniest video on bears, humans, bear spray and...kayaks....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvnx4M293oU

I believe the Hornet Spray is really a deterrent for human attack as I read somewhere that it works on people.It says on the can of Bear Spray that it causes blindness in humans.Therefore you would be subject to civil suit for using a chemical inconsistent with its recommended use.However,you might be able to plead that you thought a person was really The Green Hornet and get off on an insanity plea.

Quote Originally Posted by IroquoisArcher View Post
    Treat this like you would any other hiking related concern: Find examples where people used this technique to their advantage. If you cannot find any examples then be very careful in assuming you will be the first. This is also a good way to consider food options, gear options, or whether or not discharging a firearm on the trail will create a benefit for you.

I'm just going to make a wild guess that carrying a can of hornet spray will earn you an interesting trail name and nothing more.

Guess just wondering questions shouldn't be asked.
    Just in case you're wondering no I wasn't planning on carrying anything like that or pepper spray...don't see how you'd be able to get it out in time anyways. Yes I've camped overnight in the Beartooth-Absarorika wilderness and also nearby around Bozeman, MT and never had any thought of bear attacks even though we did get a 400 pounder (during hunting season) plus camp down near Lock Haven and have pics. on our game cameras 50 yards away while we're sleeping outside, and one of them being a mama with 4 cubs.
    So like had said was just something had read or heard about in some magazine guess it was and just always wondered if it had any merit, if anyone had ever heard of it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation To answer your question

http://articles.extension.org/pages/...r-pepper-spray

Executive summary: pepper spray is an irritant at a level designed to convince a bear to stop moving towards you, wasp spray is a neuro-toxin at a level designed to kill wasps. Against a charging bear, the latter will have little or no effect.

One more thing to consider: you can use wasp spray to hit a nest eight meters away because the nest is standing still. If you shoot a small stream of a liquid at a MOVING target, and that target moves a few centimeters away from where you were aiming the stream, then the liquid you streamed is completely worthless for protection. The whole POINT of wide dispersal in bear sprays is that you generally CAN'T aim accurately when a grizzly is charging you.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    But if you're talking about the AT, there is no need for bear spray.
    Bradley Veeder says hello.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    Bradley Veeder says hello.
    And just exactly how would bear spray have helped his situation? If you would like to test it by discharging a can of bear spray inside your tent I would be more than happy to sit by and watch.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

And just exactly how would bear spray have helped his situation? If you would like to test it by discharging a can of bear spray inside your tent I would be more than happy to sit by and watch.
    Happy, eh?

IMO your question is not very relevant, because it focuses on a prior attack, and does not generalize factors that might be more relevant in a future attack. Even then, consider the particulars of this attack - the tent got shredded (spraying would not be in a fully enclosed space); the bear returned (opportunity to be o/s tent and spray bear then); and, does it matter so much if you get some capsacin exposure if by doing so, you can get the bear to stop attacking and leave?

My overall point is that the AT is not a bear attack-free zone, and it might have done him some good to have it at that time. I was merely disagreeing with your second assertion. [Your first one, regarding anything but bear spray, such as wasp spray, I agree with.] I carry bear spray in bear country, even though historically, attacks have been rare. There are some indications that they are getting a bit less rare, and some reasons to suspect this trend will continue. One facet of HYOH is that you can choose your level of assumed risk. You can go without a compass and map on the AT, and usually you won't need them. Some people say they don't purify their water. etc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    Happy, eh?

IMO your question is not very relevant, because it focuses on a prior attack, and does not generalize factors that might be more relevant in a future attack. Even then, consider the particulars of this attack - the tent got shredded (spraying would not be in a fully enclosed space); the bear returned (opportunity to be o/s tent and spray bear then); and, does it matter so much if you get some capsacin exposure if by doing so, you can get the bear to stop attacking and leave?

My overall point is that the AT is not a bear attack-free zone, and it might have done him some good to have it at that time. I was merely disagreeing with your second assertion. [Your first one, regarding anything but bear spray, such as wasp spray, I agree with.] I carry bear spray in bear country, even though historically, attacks have been rare. There are some indications that they are getting a bit less rare, and some reasons to suspect this trend will continue. One facet of HYOH is that you can choose your level of assumed risk. You can go without a compass and map on the AT, and usually you won't need them. Some people say they don't purify their water. etc.
    My response was perfectly relevant to your example. But moving on, given that the odds of an attack by a human far outweigh the odds of a bear attack, should we all carry concealed?

Show me one documented case where bear spray alleviated a bear related problem on the AT.

When I'm hiking Yellowstone, you bet I carry spray. But I have had literally dozens of encounters with black bears in the east and they have all been a positive and appreciated experience.

Could something bad occur? Of course, but I'm hundreds of times more likely to die in a car accident driving to the trailhead, than to even be scratched by a bear...

Fear mongering only perpetuates the misunderstanding among new hikers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would think the range (specifically) of the hornet/wasp spray might be too great. I would much rather a shorter distance cloud than a long distance spray purely for the fact that if the bear is bluff charging, you might just p!ss him off to the point of no return.
    - Trail name: Thumper

When I'm hiking Yellowstone, you bet I carry spray. But I have had literally dozens of encounters with black bears in the east and they have all been a positive and appreciated experience.

Could something bad occur? Of course, but I'm hundreds of times more likely to die in a car accident driving to the trailhead, than to even be scratched by a bear...
    +1

Thanks, Engine!

It may be that Hornet spray would cause permanent injury to a bear, creating an especially dangerous beast. Lose-lose.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Bear deterrent, human deterrent . . . Bring along an old C-melody saxophone on your hike.

Kind of seems cruel, ineffective, and bound for disaster. If you accidentally spray yourself or partner with pepper spray it sucks, but it washes out. Bug spray requires immediate medical attention.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

No.
    Read the can of wasp spray, it says something like -it is a violation of FEDERAL law to use this product other than directed.
    So, not only is it bad for the reasons already mentioned, but you'll be charged with a felony after you get mauled by a pissed off bear that may be blinded for life...
    Just yell at them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++