WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hmmm....
    Velveeta Cheese on Pop Tarts with a Little Debbie's chaser. Yummmmm ....
    And folks crucify smokers.
    Go figure.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Wonder if the OP learned anything?

Wow.

He should have asked which pack to choose or perhaps shoes.

Your love of pop tarts reminds me of a recent hike. We had eaten breakfast with one thru hiker and left camp before him. within a couple miles we passed another hiker heading opposite direction and he was sporting 2 black eyes. We did not stop to ask what happened just your basic good morning greeting. later the guy we ate breakfast passed and asked if we saw the guy with 2 black eyes. He says the guy told him he got them trying to take a pop tart from a thru hiker. Funny guy. So be careful with your pop tarts if you carry them.

WOW!!!! So I leave the site for like 24 hours and it turns into 3 pages?!? Not complaining at all, I just should have explained a little better I am ordering my dehydrator in the morning (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6AZ863...ing=UTF8&psc=1) after the wife looks at it to see what she thinks and as soon as it shows up I will start on making my meals/pups meals. I have most of my actual food figured out, I just don't know what little fillers I should put in there is all. I don't plan on getting anything from Amazon itself, I was just shopping on there while taking a break from looking for rain gear (that I still haven't found) on REIs website. If anyone want's to school me on the gear like they did on the food I'm all ears

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It's actually VERY EASY to opt for real foods on all the TC Trails overall with the AT probably the most analyzed as far as comprehensive resupply dietary options.

Real food being defined as limitedly processed and packaged. I think RockDoc was referring to things like whole foods in their close to natural state without the naturally occurring nutrition in the whole food denuded. Rock Doc was likely stating the widespread observances of junk food bingeing both off and on trail.

"Junk food" generally refers to foods that contribute lots of calories but little nutritional value."

Junk food - food/food like products that have low nutritional value, typically produced in the form of packaged snacks needing little or no preparation.

"Junk food is food that is calorie-dense and nutrient poor. In recent decades, junk food, fast food and convenience food consumption in the United States have increased dramatically, with 25 percent of people now consuming predominantly junk food diets. This trend has occurred concurrently with rising epidemics of numerous chronic diseases and accounts for a long list of reasons why eating junk food is bad."

These junk food habits carry over to trail lifestyles.
    At home I generally eat something approaching a paleo diet with the addition of tortillas and some bread on occasion. But on trail, the challenges of meeting caloric needs are very difficult when trying to maintain the same standards I do at home. So I stand by my statement, it's not all that easy...at least from this perspective. Fresh fruit and vegetables, while accessible every few days, have a lousy weight/calories ratio and are better eaten in town or the 1st day out of town. Meat products pretty well have to be dehydrated, but jerky and salami is loaded with sodium. Most granola is loaded with simple carbs, at least the stuff that is readily available in the locations which provide easy supply along the trail. Given the challenges and since I am not going to dehydrate and mail 6 months of meals for two, our diet changes on trail...unfortunately not for the better.

Here's a 2 day example, this would be for a 9-12 hour hiking day.

DAY 1:

Breakfast - 2 packs oatmeal and a Starbucks Via (Mmmmmmm!)
    Snack - Cliff bar or something similar and an apple
    Snack #2 - GORP
    Lunch - Tortilla with cheese and pre-cooked bacon
    Snack #3 - Probar or Luna Bar (love those many flavors)
    Snack #4 - more GORP
    Dinner - 1 Knorr pasta or rice side with salmon, tuna, chicken, or spam (yeah, I know...)
    Before bed (especially if it's cold) - 1-2 ounces hard cheese

DAY 2:

Breakfast - Bagel with peanut butter and the Via
    Snack - Protein Bar
    Snack #2 - GORP
    Lunch - Triscuits with Nutella, 1-2 handfuls of Bear Naked granola
    Snack #3 - yogurt covered raisins and dried pineapple
    snack #4 - Probar or Luna Bar
    Dinner - Couscous with rehydrated pineapple and hard cheese
    Before bed - Hot chocolate and a couple pretzels dipped in peanut butter

I know there are big holes in a diet of this nature, but eating clean on trail and meeting long term caloric needs has proven to be a very elusive goal for us.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post

I know there are big holes in a diet of this nature, but eating clean on trail and meeting long term caloric needs has proven to be a very elusive goal for us.
    I only see 1 cup of coffee a day? I would die.

They do mean well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosling View Post

Funny thing is, I drink close to two pots of coffee a day at home, but on the trail I don't miss coffee at all. Tastes can certainly change out on the trail.

Images

All that sodium in jerky, salami, and precooked bacon does not pose a problem while hiking. You sweat so much you need the salt to keep minerals balanced. I struggle to get enough sodium and potassium and carry a bottle of 50/50 sea salt and lite salt. This instead of sugar laced Gatoraide or Nuun.

Good to see someone else avoiding the overpriced trail food market! Lots of prepack dinners in the grocery stores these days, quick wholegrain rice, bean soups,spicy subcontinental meals. I try them out with a cupful of boiling water, most work well that way. Plenty of DIY trail bar recipes online, probly some that use nutella as the binder.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Just about every supermarket is a treasure trove of calorie rich easy cooking or no cooking food.
    I still haven't broken my freeze dried meal habit, but I'm working on it.
    I did make a breakthrough yesterday. Ramen. Not the usual junk 10 for a dollar ramen. Rice Ramen at Earth Fare. The sodium is under control as Ramen goes. I used half the water and added some instant rice to make it less soupy. Throw in some precooked sausage or single serving summer sausage and it's a meal. I'm on the lookout now for a similar, more affordable brand. I'll be visiting the local Asian market on Tuesday.
    Instant refried beans. Don't leave home without them. Andrew Skurka has a good recipe online.
    It's possible to live in the woods without Snickers and Gatorade and Moon Pies Oh my.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by Moosling View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Funny thing is, I drink close to two pots of coffee a day at home, but on the trail I don't miss coffee at all. Tastes can certainly change out on the trail.
    I'm with Deacon. In civilization, almost always one or two cups to start each day. But on the trail I don't miss coffee at all.

I do look forward to a cup of tea (or two) in the evening. I'd miss that ritual.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    All that sodium in jerky, salami, and precooked bacon does not pose a problem while hiking. You sweat so much you need the salt to keep minerals balanced. I struggle to get enough sodium and potassium and carry a bottle of 50/50 sea salt and lite salt. This instead of sugar laced Gatoraide or Nuun.
    That's why I've become very fond of corn chips, they've become my primary lunch. They have enough fat you can start a fire with them, have a good amount of salt and potassium. You can put them into your dehydrated meals to make them crunchy and add some flavor.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

[QUOTE=R Sugar is toxic. You don't need it, it has no nutrients.
    [/QUOTE]
    Not to say that a high sugar diet is healthy, or even appetizing, but if sugar were toxic there would be few, if any, Americans alive. And calories, including sugars are nutrition. As I posted above, the OP needs to do some serious research to put together a palatable, reasonably balanced diet.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Don't buy in bulk what you can easily buy in local food markets or even mini-marts.

Re: energy bars... I recommend Larabars. As such things go, they're fairly edible and tasty, with lots of choices of flavors.

Freeze-dried meals: I like having one or two in my food bag, but certainly not for every night. Save them for nights when the weather's foul or you're really tired and just need some hot food in your belly ASAP.

My taste in snacks seems to vary according to the outdoor temperature. Sweet stuff or chocolate when it's cold. Salty stuff (Pringles, corn chips, etc.) when it's hot.

Occasionally I bring along a few of those small fruit-cup thingies meant for kids' school lunches. For sure, they're not light, but they make a nice dessert after a hot days' hiking.

Larabars:
    I'm really partial to any of the Cherry flavors and the citrus fruits, lemon or lime, are awesome. Key Lime Pie!
    I just downed another Ramen. I've learned one thing: You really need to pay attention to the weight of the noodles in the package. I purchased 3 different packages and the weights were 60g, 80g and 100g. Duh! Wayne!
    Wayne

No spam packets? One of my favorite pseudo foods when hiking. Kinda like corn chips. Lots of salt and fat. Might be some protein in there, too, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    No spam packets? One of my favorite pseudo foods when hiking. Kinda like corn chips. Lots of salt and fat. Might be some protein in there, too, I think.
    Gag! Choke!
    I know. Many folks love the stuff.
    Wayne

Spam uurrrrggggg, technicolour yawn on its way.

What is GORP?
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Spam uurrrrggggg, technicolour yawn on its way.

What is GORP?
    Good Old Raisins and Peanuts

It's not literal, just an acronym for trail mix. I put all kinds of interesting stuff in there.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++