WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MLD Patrol Solo + MLD Bug Bivy, thoughts?

Seems like it would be a really good ultralight combination. Weighing in right at 13oz for both in cuben. Using the .75 cuben for the tarp too. Could go even lighter if one opted for the .51oz cuben. Pretty great weather protection. Full bug protection. You can pitch the bug bivy independently. Tarp is no gimmicks. There's nothing to fail besides a seam or the material. No zippers or snaps etc.

One could contribute to lighten the tarp by switching out the 3mm guyline and linocs for a lighter option. Could potentially save up to half, maybe a full ounce.

Would anyone like to comment on this shelter idea. The only negative I've read about this shelter is well entertaining it in storm mode. All a frame tarps are similar though. I also read all though it can be pitched high, it's limited because the back end of the tarp is one piece so it cannot be pitched as flat as a grace tarp for example.

The .75 green cuben looks really good too

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

And autocorrect bombed on that post. Sorry everyone

Small volume shelter, but works well if you don't mind that. You can improve entry by loosening and removing one front corner guy line after you set up to create a bit of a side entry (throw the corner over the top). Easy to reach out after you get under the tarp to reach out and reattach and tighten up the line. I have since switched to a Cirriform tarp which has a zipper, but I know the technique works.

Go with the duo. Yes, it is 3 ounces more, but the livability is SO worth it.

I hiked with a girl for a bit who used that tarp or something similar. She also had an umbrella which could be used to close up the open end. Forget if she had a bivy of some kind with it. In any event, she switched to a real tent by Virginia...

I used my Gatewood Cape and Serenity net on my last trip - for a while. I eventually had to call home and have my tent sent to me and I was much happier after that.

If your going to spend that kind of money on a shelter set up, getting a cuben fiber tent seems like a better option to me.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

How about tent stakes and do you need a ground cloth for pack or just the bug bivy ?

my hexamid w stakes and polycro is 12.4 oz that's everything. head net for bugs.

Thom

I'm not sold on the hexamid design just yet. Also, I much prefer full bug protection over just a head net

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I'm not sold on the hexamid design just yet. Also, I much prefer full bug protection over just a head net

guess I should have asked the question better. You stated 13 oz as the weight. Did that include stakes and a ground cloth , stuff sack . Tent poles if needed?? So many times shelter weights are listed without all the equipment needed to erect and use them . Hard the compair shelters without the weight of the total package.

Thom

That is without stakes. However the hexamid and patrol use the same amount of stakes. Give or take one stake. I wouldnt carry a ground sheet when I have the bug bivy. No bug bivy, polycryo ground sheet. I typically don't use a stuff sack for my tarps. I just shove them in the corner of my mesh pocket on the outside of my pack

Images

I have one in the .74 cuben and use it with a Borah gear bivy and a polycro ground sheet I like it. At first I thought I wouldn't like a bivy, because of being confined but if you don't get in until your ready to sleep, it doesn't matter. The borah zips across the chest and down the side so it's easy to get in and out of. Weight before stakes is about 14 ozs including the ground sheet.

Overall storm protection. How do you feel with your patrol shelter. The small foot print is a bonus.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Overall storm protection. How do you feel with your patrol shelter. The small foot print is a bonus.

Great storm protection. Pitch it low and with the foot toward the wind. My poncho is rigged with mitten hooks on elastic cord to close off the front if needed.

++ New Posts ++