Default Returning from PCT -- What Airport?

I am planning a PCT hike this year and noticed Southwest airlines has a sale going on right now. I will book a flight in to San Diego.

I'm wondering now about return flights from Canada. Which airport do most PCT hikers fly out of at the end of their trip? Vancouver? Or do most work their way down to Seattle for return trips?

Thanks!
    Flatfoot
    AT 2013, GA->ME
    PCT 2017, Mexico->Canada

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

It's mixed. I flew out of Vancouver because, after accounting for the price of a ride to Seattle, it was cheapest. Lots of other hikers take a bus or train from Vancouver to Seattle and go from there. I bought my plane ticket while I was in Stehekin.

I didn't have a passport so backtracked from the border to Harts Pass, immediately was able to hitch into Seattle and flew home from there.

Iflew out of Vancouver just because it was easier in my opinion than having to take the bus to Seattle and then get a flight. It may also be cheaper, depending on how much the bus costs. There were a lot of people doing it both ways though, like said above.
    All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about the end yet. You'll have plenty of time to figure it out later on when you get closer to Canada. Enjoy your hike, the PCT is a pretty chill trail
    - Young Blood | AT2015 | PCT2016 | CDT2017

a) don't worry about it at the moment as who knows what will happen with a need to flip flop or with injury or snow or whatever.
    b) you might want to do what I did at the end which is to see Vancouver for a couple days, take the bus to Seattle for a couple days, take the train to Portland for a couple days. There were hiker meet-ups in all the cities to help reintegrate into society.

Images

From Manning park got a ride to Vancouver and than took the train across Canada. It was a fun way to end the PCT trip. Also saw a hockey game in Vancouver.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    From Manning park got a ride to Vancouver and than took the train across Canada. It was a fun way to end the PCT trip. Also saw a hockey game in Vancouver.
    There ya go.

I took the bus from Manning Park to Vancouver Canada making a few hr stop at Hope Canada along the way to see the town that Rambo shot up. No extra bus cost. Hung out for a couple of days with other thrus hitting up the town and sharing a room. Spent a good deal of time in the New Amsterdam Cafe sipping on fresh made mango juice and checkin it out. Took another bus to Seattle which had MUCH cheaper flights to many other U.S. states than Vancouver. SeaTac AP is a major west coast hub.

++ New Posts ++