WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Everyone,

Thanks for giving me great advice!.

FYI, my gear list is not actual weight yet, and it is the weight that the manufacturer says it is. When I get all the gear, I will measure it on my scale. The down jack is of the shelf XXL and weighs around 6.9 oz, and that is not my jacket that is being custom made. That weight was put there as a place holder knowing that it will not be lighter than that.

I am sleeping in a Hammock because I have a bad back, I am not looking forward to sleeping on a hard floor. I am debating in bringing an ultra light air mattress just in case.

I am worried a little about the cold, and that is wy I am trying to find the right gear for me. Not being in game shape anymore I am looking forward to losing some weight, so let the calorie burn begin. I am leaving in March because I left in March 16 years ago before I needed to get off the trail in Erwin. Just seems right to me.

Just got an email that Zpack will not make any customer gear.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone on the trail. Keep the great advice coming!

Thanks,

Flutch

Journal Entries

Ditto on Skywalker...good book and I'm sure he had some of the same challenges...I'm sure he can get linked with him thru the web and pick his brain...good idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Have you read Skywalker's books? He's pretty tall, I think just shy of 7 foot. I met him in NC on his AT hike. Nothing fit the poor guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Madpaddy View Post
    Ditto on Skywalker...good book and I'm sure he had some of the same challenges...I'm sure he can get linked with him thru the web and pick his brain...good idea!

I am listing to his audio book right on about the PCT.

Flutch.

Not being in game shape anymore I am looking forward to losing some weight, so let the calorie burn begin.

Don't overly rely on packed on body weight being converted to energy to sustain energy levels on a thru-hike. Survival is one thing. Having immediate calories and a wide spectrum of nutritional factors immediately at your disposal to sustain yourself during the mental and physical rigors of long distance(LD) hiking is another thing. Although not everyone perceives LD hiking this way you might consider it also as an a athletic endeavor.

Hey Flutch, going a bit off-topic here, but good to see a fellow dutchie on the trail! Would be fun to meet you sometime so i can talk in my native language

Quote Originally Posted by Borrenbergs View Post
    Hey Flutch, going a bit off-topic here, but good to see a fellow dutchie on the trail! Would be fun to meet you sometime so i can talk in my native language
    When are you leaving? I am thinking between march 15 and 20th.

Tot Ziens!

Flutch

How do you like those PacerPoles? I haven't met anyone personally who has hiked with them, but have read reviews and folks seem to really like them. I've been pretty intrigued by the design and am considering trying a pair out.

Quote Originally Posted by josh_ATL View Post
    How do you like those PacerPoles? I haven't met anyone personally who has hiked with them, but have read reviews and folks seem to really like them. I've been pretty intrigued by design and am considering trying a pair out.
    I have no idea! A friend of mine hiked the AT last year and loved them. He said that if he could recommend anything, it was the PacerPoles. So I bought them, and they should be here soon.

If I don't like them, I will get something else, but the reviews seem that most people love them.

Sorry, I don't have more information.

Thanks,

Flutch.

Quote Originally Posted by flutch View Post
    When are you leaving? I am thinking between march 15 and 20th.

Tot Ziens!

Flutch
    Somewhere between the 18th and the 20th depending on my jetlag

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++