WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I started my AT thru hike with and Exos. I had problems with the mesh in back falling apart and by the time I got to NH I replaced it with an Atmos 65. After my AT thru I got an ULA circuit and love it.
    More walking, less talking.

Images

20 degrees and an X-therm for the wife, 30 degree and X-Lite for you. Girls generally sleep 10 degrees colder, if she is not warm you will not be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I started my AT thru hike with and Exos. I had problems with the mesh in back falling apart and by the time I got to NH I replaced it with an Atmos 65. After my AT thru I got an ULA circuit and love it.
    I like the design/features of the Circuit. Is it a sweaty pack though, sitting on your back with no ventilation?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    20 degrees and an X-therm for the wife, 30 degree and X-Lite for you. Girls generally sleep 10 degrees colder, if she is not warm you will not be happy!
    My wife has already made that perfectly clear!

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPete View Post
    I like the design/features of the Circuit. Is it a sweaty pack though, sitting on your back with no ventilation?
    Honestly in the summer, I do sweat the back side of my shirt out, in the summer it feels nice. In the colder months, my shirt freezes stiff as a board hanging from the tree limb I forgot to retrieve it from. Probably the biggest "cons" of the pack
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I feel like that's a pretty big "Con". Maybe not. I read a reviewer who said that apart from hid pack smelling "Unholy", he loved it! Even hiking with just a bookbag sized daypack makes my back soaking wet.

I feel like that's a pretty big "Con". Maybe not. I read a reviewer who said that apart from his pack smelling "Unholy", he loved it! Even hiking with just a bookbag sized daypack makes my back soaking wet.

I love the xtherm and it is toasty. I also have the xlite for those 40 plus nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like that's a pretty big "Con". Maybe not. I read a reviewer who said that apart from his pack smelling "Unholy", he loved it! Even hiking with just a bookbag sized daypack makes my back soaking wet.
    That is an issue with packs which ride flat to the back. That can lead to skin irritation and related problems. It will be hot and humid for much of the hike, especially the southern end after the flip. Ospreys have the advantage that they have decent ventilation, but as a result shift the center of gravity a bit farther behind you.

I think the UL packs which are little more then a stuff sack with shoulder straps are more suited to low humidity areas like out west then on the AT which is very humid.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

For more than twenty years internal frames existed with sweaty back only option and no one died. That was the big argument for a long time between external frames and internal frames, and even without a breathable back panel option the internal frame won out. If your hiking upwards of 20 miles a day for 6 months on end; a sweaty back will be the least of your problems. Rule #22: Don't sweat the small stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperslug View Post
    For more than twenty years internal frames existed with sweaty back only option and no one died. . Rule #22: Don't sweat the small stuff.
    True, but depending on the suspension, some are worse then others. Two of my internal frame packs have small pads on the back which limit the amount of contact to my back and space the rest of the pack slightly away from the back. These aren't too bad. I also have a ULA, CDT pack which has full contact with my back over the entire surface and that pack is really bad to carry in the summer.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

We used AWOL and Guthook,and I would not go without either one. AWOL is the big picture,showing all the terrain and resupply down the road. Also printed and followed the suggested itinerary from his website. Very helpful. Guthook can show you exactly where you are,and has some helpful info that AWOL does not,plus a lot of shelter photos that we found useful.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperslug View Post
    For more than twenty years internal frames existed with sweaty back only option and no one died. a sweaty back will be the least of your problems. Rule #22: Don't sweat the small stuff.
    True, but there must have been enough complaining that all the manufacturers have gone to great lengths to address ventilation. I think solving as many of my problems as possible before starting out will work in my favor. If I can find a pack that will check all the boxes, and be nice to my back, why not?

Unless you have a NASA self contained climate control system, backpacking is hot, sweaty, dirty, hard WORK. After much trial and error, I found a very good moisture transfer long sleeve base layer shirt from Helly Hanson combined with a 100% polyester ventilated fishing shirt. The combination used with a ULA Catalyst. Did my back get wet? Yes, confined to the area around my shoulder blades. Not from my neck to waist. When the pack came off both layers dried by the time I had camp setup and dinner ready. Probably 30-45 minutes and in the shade.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I think we've cleared up the pros and cons of bringing my dog and my planned logistics in the other thread, so how about gear?

Packs: I read that you should buy the pack last, so you know how big you need. True? Or has the question been asked and answered enough times? I like the idea of light. I like the Exos for that reason, but the Atmos and Aether were pretty comfortable, just twice as heavy. I'd like to try on the ULA packs and maybe Gossamer Gear before making a decision. I like the Osprey Any time, Any Where, Any Reason guarantee.
    Tent: Already bought. Got an REI Half Dome 2 Plus. On the heavy side, but big. There will be three of us in it with gear, and split between two packs, the weight isn't out of line. Plus REI had a great sale.
    Bags: I like the EE Revelation quilts. Mummy bags feel small. We're not starting till May somewhere in the middle, and heading north. Then flipping back and heading south, hoping to be done before the end of October. Seems like we miss the coldest temps at both ends? Do we still need 30 deg bags? 20? Do liners work?
    Pads: Leaning towards the Thermarest Xlite. Is the Xtherm necessary for warmth? Are there others out there just as good for less? The Thermarest's seem pricy.
    That's the big four.
    Pete

Any Osprey pack is going to be comfortable, that's what their built for, especially if you're on the heavier side. The ULA and Gossamer packs are great, but not made to carry as heavy of a load as a pack like the Ospreys with a full frame suspension. It's going to be kind of hard to try on a Gossamer or ULA pack unless you know someone who already owns one. I only know of one Outfitter (Mountain Crossings @ Neels Gap) that keep ULA in stock, but have never seen a Gossamer pack at an outfitter. I'm a huge fan of both brands. I've got a ULA CDT, a ULA Circuit, A Gossamer Kumo, and a Gossamer Gorilla and love them all. The Circuit and Gorilla will take a little bit more weight than the Kumo or CDT as they have aluminum/carbon stays for the frame. I've never personally owned an Exos, but it was the pack of choice for a lot of people I hiked with, and just about everyone was very happy with it. I own the Enlightened Equipment Revelation (20 degree) and took used it for a thru last year. It was good for everything I encountered. It might have dropped below 20 degrees a few times, but I stayed warm for the most part. In the summer I rarely used it, but it was nice to lay on top of. I highly recommend either the Revelation or the Enigma! The NeoAir XLite is pricy, but definitely worth it. The Big Agnes Q Core and Sea To Summit Ultralight are around the same weight and a little cheaper, but not nearly as comfortable. Your sleeping bag and pad are two things you will use every night, so it pays not to skimp on them. If you're planning on getting a custom made EE quilt, then I would order ASAP. They get busy around the beginning of the hiking season, so their lead time for their custom stuff is generally pretty long.

I was wanting the EE quilt all along, but ended up ordering a bag. My wife, and all the angels here looking out for her, wanted to be sure I understood that if she was cold, nobody in our group was going to be happy. The bags we got have full zips, so can be used like a quilt if wanted. They put over half a pound extra in our packs though. As for the pack, that's going to be a game time decision. What I want is the ULA Circuit with the ventilated back of the Exos. ULA has about 3 months to get that together!
    We'll sail back from the Bahamas in early April, get the boat hauled and stored, pick up all of our gear from the mail forwarder and head to Virginia. We'll be easy to recognize. We'll be sitting at the trailhead unwrapping all our new gear, stuffing it in our new packs. With a dog...
    Pete, Linda, and Scout

My GF and I use an EE Acomplice, 20* with the Exped Synmat Hyperlight Duo. We've been comfortable down to the low teens with it. Much lighter than two bags and two mats, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    My GF and I use an EE Acomplice, 20* with the Exped Synmat Hyperlight Duo. We've been comfortable down to the low teens with it. Much lighter than two bags and two mats, for sure.
    The Accomplice might be the solution! I don't know why I never noticed it before. Thanks!

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

I used the xtherm the whole way and recommend it. You may be fine with the xlite with your start time. Before buying a pack, tent, and bag, look into these brands: Zpacks, Hyperlite Mountain Gear, Gossamer Gear, Jacks R Better, and Mountain Laurel Designs. The extra cost is well worth the weight you will save.

Images

Ill just comment on pack size. To put things into perspective, I carry a 26L pack and I have everything I need.

Quote Originally Posted by coyote9 View Post
    Ill just comment on pack size. To put things into perspective, I carry a 26L pack and I have everything I need.
    Same here, I'm rockin a 28L and have plenty of room for everything I would possibly need to carry. I never understood the whole buying your gear prior to your pack so you could make sure everything fits mantra. I think people tend to fill their pack with all of the gear they have and then continue to purchase and fill the leftover space in their pack with things they don't really need. I say try buying the smallest pack you think you can get away with, shove a week's worth of food in it, and pack your essential gear. If there's room left after essentials are packed then use that extra space to bring along non-essential and luxury items.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++