WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anyone know if treating water resistant gear i.e. Pack, wind jacket and pants is effe

Anyone know if treating gear with a DWR will be negatively effected by spraying or soaking in permethrin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawyer claims that their Permethrin has no effect on DWR. I can't speak from personal experience.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

We drenched everything in strong permetherin, packs, tents, included, then dried them in the sun.
    Never had any problems except the tent was a bit stinky.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Anyone know if treating gear with a DWR will be negatively effected by spraying or soaking in permethrin?...
    Be careful not to assume anything. https://sawyerdirect.net/t/FAQPermetherin

'Permethrin is to be applied to clothing and material. It works by bonding to the fibers'

Q. Will Permethrin ruin my clothes or equipment?
    A.No. Permethrin will not damage clothes or equipment. Unlike DEET, which may harm some fabrics and materials, Permethrin is compatible for use even on fragile fabrics such as silk, plus all synthetics and waterproof membrane fabrics. Permethrin will not affect plastics or finishes. IF IN DOUBT, try a sample on an obscure surface area, especially on delicates and check it after 24 hours of exposure.
    Sawyer® Permethrin Insect Repellent is odorless, non-greasy and non-staining after it dries. Permethrin can be harmful to aquatic creatures such as fish, so do not spray Permethrin around fish aquariums.

FWIW, I am highly skeptical that adding a compound that attaches to fabric fibers that already has a DWR applied does not affect breathability or vapor transfer despite claims of "compatibility" or not damaging clothes or equipment.

Images

I don't see how it can 'attach' itself to silicone coated fabric, such as LightHeart Gear tents and rain gear, but as far as we're concerned, if you put it on our tents, it will void any warranty on the waterproof capacity of the tent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I don't see how it can 'attach' itself to silicone coated fabric, such as LightHeart Gear tents and rain gear, but as far as we're concerned, if you put it on our tents, it will void any warranty on the waterproof capacity of the tent.
    ...and in all honestly, a tent is bug proof as is...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I don't see how it could adhere to the mylar film on Cuben Fibre tents as well...

And, as another poster so astutely pointed out...tents are inherently bug-proof...YMMV...just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I don't see how it could adhere to the mylar film on Cuben Fibre tents as well...

And, as another poster so astutely pointed out...tents are inherently bug-proof...YMMV...just sayin...

I spray my shaped tarpans . Warranty be dammed . It has never affected its waterproofing that I can tell. Much cheaper not to get lyme . But hike your own hike.

Thom

Journal Entries

aint never heard of a tent or pack coming down with lyme disease yet....

I think its overkill, never treated anyting but clothing, socks, shoes, but probably dont hurt anything

If dwr works, its just going to bead up and not soak in , so youll be left at best with little spots of the permethrin after it dries
    If it does wet out and soak in, your DWR dont work anyway, so dont need to be too concerned

From a chemical point of view, the permethrin probably doesnt attack the DWR if vendor says its safe, but any residue that aids in water wetting the surface will have a negative effect on the dwr performance. Enough to matter? I doubt it as long as the DWR is functional and permethrin beads up and runs off to start with.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-13-2016 at 08:57.

Images

I use permethrin on the outside of my Hybrid Cuben pack. The outside is not waterproof, just the inside layers. The reasoning is I have seen ticks walking on packs, and my pack comes inside my tent at night. Appears to work just fine in this application. I would not use it on rain gear or my tent.

DW and Judy kind of what I was thinking.....didn't plan to spray tent but my wind gear and new prophet pack as that's what I'll use for a winter FT section...hate ticks....guess I'll treat my compression leggings under shorts as I hate long pants while hiking...I can see treating a ground sheet for a tarp but not a tent. Only place I've been where it rained ticks is Cumberland island Ga.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    I use permethrin on the outside of my Hybrid Cuben pack. The outside is not waterproof, just the inside layers. The reasoning is I have seen ticks walking on packs, and my pack comes inside my tent at night. Appears to work just fine in this application. I would not use it on rain gear or my tent.
    That's reason I was considering spraying pack.

I soak my hammock, both body and bug net, As well as all my clothes. I don't see the point in soaking the tarp or pack though.

++ New Posts ++