WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Got the idea from a guy who made one and set it up in his back yard for 200 days.

He also made one out of emergency blankets.

I tried that as well but took the polycro for tbis section hike.

Also made a polycro footprint. It worked like a charm.

Typo. He had it up for 100 days.

Thanks. Might have to look into this a little bit more. I can foresee some "arts and crafts" time in the fall!

The guy I stole the idea from had it up in his backyard for a year as the other guy said. I had to revise the tape tie outs a few times to create some that stick to the plastic. It does get some condensation. A simple flat tarp would have more ventilation. That is what I originally used. But a flat tarp offers less protection from torrential downpours. As for the wind, I've not had any problems. I'll be honest though and say I generally take it down if the wind gets stronger than 15-20 mph. I don't think you would want to keep it up long in sustained winds of 30 mph. I'm thinking of bringing it with me on my Continental divide hike this july. If you decide to make one yourself, be sure to test it in different conditions in your backyard to make sure your design works before relying on it in the field

I got a 1.9 ounce headlamp including 1AA battery for less than 3 bucks shipped from China. It is rated at 100 lumens.

Journal Entries

A lot of mine have already been mentioned but, here goes: grease pot for pot, cat can stove, ziplock bags for like everything, most items are multi-use. I do love my costco down quilt. super warm!

FREE stainless and brass safety pins. Nothing more dirt cheap than FREE dirt.

Transparent plastic produce bags found at any grocery stores. Cost: $0. Weight: almost zero. You can wear them over your socks for waterproof among many other great uses.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

My trowel is the latest addition.

IMG_20170516_141440341.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Blain-Laider View Post
    My trowel is the latest addition.

IMG_20170516_141440341.jpg
    eeek! it's got poop on it and be careful of the poison ivy to the right of it

nice trowel. what did you make that out of?

Journal Entries

Not to pipe back in and be a nag but, I did also score an older Osprey pack off of Facebook marketplace for $35. Seems to fit the hubby pretty great. He tried it on weighted and said that he couldn't get over how much better it was than the wally world "pack" he was carrying.

Ramen noodles with some kind of tuna or chicken pouch. Cheep girl Mountain House. lol
    Go out to eat with friends and grab all the Taco Bell sauce they are just going to throw away... Same thing when pizza gets ordered and they have those little pepper packs. Now they just push them towards my purse instead of taking them to the trash can.

Also, I just got a bunch (as in an entire case) of adult bath wipes. They go into a ziplock fine and I put what I'll need for however many days Ill be gone. These were free from someone who had a family member on hospice and the hospice company cannot take them back. I hate that they were going through that time but, these wipes were headed for the trash and they suited my needs perfectly.

The auto windshield sun screen from the dollar store. Cut off a piece to make a pot cozy. The rest is a sit pad, tent vestibule floor, wind shield, emergency sleep pad (if air mattress fails), air mattress protector (if sleeping in a shelter), supplemental sleeping insulation (if it is unexpectedly cold), back pad in back pack, emergency reflector if lost, etc...

Also, here is my current coffee/tea cup (without the soup). Had to tape the bottom a bit when the foam insulation started to peel off. Still looking for the ideal coffee/tea cup.
    soup.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    eeek! it's got poop on it and be careful of the poison ivy to the right of it
    Nope, that's not poison ivy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Also, here is my current coffee/tea cup (without the soup). Had to tape the bottom a bit when the foam insulation started to peel off. Still looking for the ideal coffee/tea cup.
    soup.jpg
    I have the same coffee/tea cup!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodworkerfella View Post
    Nope, that's not poison ivy.

It's to lower right of your TP
    poison ivy.JPG
    Last edited by zelph; 05-18-2017 at 22:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The auto windshield sun screen from the dollar store. Cut off a piece to make a pot cozy. The rest is a sit pad, tent vestibule floor, wind shield, emergency sleep pad (if air mattress fails), air mattress protector (if sleeping in a shelter), supplemental sleeping insulation (if it is unexpectedly cold), back pad in back pack, emergency reflector if lost, etc...

soup.jpg

What's the secret to getting the "soup smell" out of the plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    It's to lower right of your TP
    poison ivy.JPG
    It is very similar, but the face of the leaves of poison ivy are smoother. The leave vanes do not indent as in this plant. With better resolution I think you would see tiny hairs on this leaf and stem indicating it might be a type of berry.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodworkerfella View Post
    It is very similar, but the face of the leaves of poison ivy are smoother. The leave vanes do not indent as in this plant. With better resolution I think you would see tiny hairs on this leaf and stem indicating it might be a type of berry.

Ok, if you say so. Leaves of 3 let them be :-)

Images

Safety Pins. Use them for clothes pins to hang you socks and underwear off your pack to dry while you hike, use them in camp on a clothes line, use them for gear repair, use them to take in your pants when you loose too much weight from hiking.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++