WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Question Good Idea? Damascus to Mt. Springer in April/May ???

Dear all,
    I'm brandnew to the forum and all excited, because my dream of hiking a section of the AT will finally come true...

I did some research, but still have a million of questions and I would be so grateful if you can answer a few of them...

My plan is to fly in from Switzerland after the Easter Weekend and than hike south from Damascus VA to Mt. Springer GA...

- do you think this is a good choice for a first time section hike - or would you choose an other stretch?

- will this section be crowded during the second half of April and May? Will I meet al the NOBO-hikers in the shelters or will the "big rush" be over by then?

- I plan 40 hiking days - do you think thats realistic? I have no detailed maps yet but I think the terrain is not as rugged as I know it from the Alps or I'm I wrong?

Thank you so much!

it will be very crowded leaving damascus at that time. 40 days is very doable

Images

This is close to an ideal section hike, for several reasons. It starts with a ~50 mile stretch of relatively easy trail -- not flat, but about as close to that as it gets around here -- and nothing like what I have seen in photos of the Alps. The weather in late April and into May will be warmer (though you should expect some chilly nights below freezing, especially early on), the wild flowers will be starting to come up in profusion, there will be plenty of water in the springs (due to the plentiful rain), and you'll get to meet a lot of hikers from all over the USA and around the world.

Yes, the trail will be busy, but it won't be wall-to-wall people. You'll regularly meet hikers heading north as you hike south, and it's likely that the shelters will be busy, so bring a tent.

Once you get pas the first 50 miles, the trail starts going up over some of the biggest mountains in the Southeast, with great views and scenery, coupled with quiet creeks and gorges, vast forest, and small towns where you can take a night off and resupply.

Hope you enjoy the hike! Ask away with any other questions.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

As a first time hiker on this trail I think you would like it better to start at Springer and head North. By heading North you will be part of a group who will hike the same part every day and camp in the same place as you. You will make trail friends. When all is said and done and you are back home, this relationship with your trail family will be a bright spot for your trip. By starting in Damascus and heading South you won't be part of a group. You will pass many others but won't hike with hardly anyone. No familiar faces will be encountered at shelters and camping spots. Swimming downstream is easier than going against the current.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    As a first time hiker on this trail I think you would like it better to start at Springer and head North. By heading North you will be part of a group who will hike the same part every day and camp in the same place as you. You will make trail friends. When all is said and done and you are back home, this relationship with your trail family will be a bright spot for your trip. By starting in Damascus and heading South you won't be part of a group. You will pass many others but won't hike with hardly anyone. No familiar faces will be encountered at shelters and camping spots. Swimming downstream is easier than going against the current.
    yeah, go NOBO, HelveticHiker

A couple of years ago, I did this exact hike, starting May 15 in Damascus and ending at Amicalola in July. That year, it was a little late for major wildflower displays but still very beautiful. This year, though, you'll be hiking through scorched earth in various sections.There were plenty of other hikers, almost all northbound, but not overwhelming numbers of them, and the weather was very pleasant (I don't do all that well in frigid temps). Because I'm slow and like to hike alone, I've always enjoyed going against the flow.

I did a similar SOBO hike in that time frame some years ago, but ended in the Smoky mountain NP. I figured I passed at least 700 hikes who were going north and that was before the numbers really started to get crazy. I wish I had kept a more accurate count, but that's hard to do without a number clicker. Going against the flow is interesting as you camp with a new group of people every night and meet people going the other way all through the day.

The terrain (and views) will be nothing like the alps, but we still make you work hard for your miles. Damascus to Springer is 468 miles (753 km) so you only need to average about 12 miles a day (20 km) which isn't bad. Your actual daily mileage depends on many factors, but mostly the spacing between shelters, campsites, towns and weather. But it shouldn't be hard to maintain a 12 MPD or better average.

Personally, I'd start a little farther north at Marion, VA. That would add 60 miles (97 km) to the trip pushing your daily mileage up to 13.5 MPD, which is still reasonable. The reason for starting at Marion is you can get there directly by Greyhound bus and you get to hike through the Grayson Highlands, one of the more scenic sections of the AT in the south. There is no public transportation directly to Damascus, so you have to arrange for a shuttle to get there.

Either way, April - May is the best time to do that section as it is very pretty with the wild flowers and flowering trees and bushes. However, it can also be cold and rainy a lot of the time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I think it's a good plan. I'd hike it as you stated, south from Damascus to Springer. Note Big Cranky's comment above- by starting at Damascus, your first 40 miles are relatively easy, a good way for your body to break in.

Some days (and nights at campsites) will see more people than others but over the course of the entire hike, the trail won't be constantly crowded. If you start around April 20, the "crowds" will be greatly diminished by the time you finish the Smokies.

Images

In 2013 I went to "Trail Days" in Damascus and then hiked south to Springer. It was very nice, the mob of thru-hikers were mostly north already. It did start getting real hot after the Smokys and there was plenty of rain that year.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HelveticHiker View Post
    Dear all,
    I'm brandnew to the forum and all excited, because my dream of hiking a section of the AT will finally come true...

I did some research, but still have a million of questions and I would be so grateful if you can answer a few of them...

My plan is to fly in from Switzerland after the Easter Weekend and than hike south from Damascus VA to Mt. Springer GA...

- do you think this is a good choice for a first time section hike - or would you choose an other stretch?

- will this section be crowded during the second half of April and May? Will I meet al the NOBO-hikers in the shelters or will the "big rush" be over by then?

- I plan 40 hiking days - do you think thats realistic? I have no detailed maps yet but I think the terrain is not as rugged as I know it from the Alps or I'm I wrong?

Thank you so much!

Easter is April 16.

Delay about 10-14 days, and you will have a great time going NOBO, you will be just behind the crowds.
    Just dont hike so fast you catch them.

There will be lots of people, but it wont be crazy.

Skip ahead to Trail Days if thats your thing, and then get back on trail to complete your hike.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-07-2017 at 19:23.

Hum, Easter is the 16th? In that case a nobo from Springer is worth considering. I did an April 18th start a few years ago to section Springer to Marion, VA and it worked out well. The weather was generally good and there were just enough others around to not feel lonely and not be crowded. By the 3d week of April, 80-90% of the NOBO's are already ahead of you.

If you go south from Damascus that late in April, you will quickly run into the leading edge of the NOBO bubble and then be in the middle of it for several weeks. Although, by the Smokies you'll have gone past most of them.

Certainly more then a few options to consider.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Hi LoneWolf, thank you! I was not sure, if I aim to high with 40 hiking days but I'm glad you consider it very doable... Regarding the crows, or better avoiding the crows, I might have to think things over....!

Journal Entries

Slo'go'en, thank you, you brought in a hole new idea.. I never though of going so far north than Marion VA to start... but you are right: access is easier to Marion than to Damascus and I'd love to see the Grayson Highlands, sounds great... I have to think it over... I just don't want to become rushed, because of the flights my shedule is more or less set (I have a few reserve days...)....

Journal Entries

Dear Cookerhiker, sounds good, thank you! I don't know why but I just love the idea better to go SOBO than NOBO, it fits my plans better - and there is an other thing: if there are crowds, I d'like to see their faces, when I go NOBO "with the stream" I will only see butts and heels.... But I might have to do some more reasearch on how it will be crowd-wise...

Journal Entries

Big cranky, good to hear you consider my choice "near ideal" for a section hike... thank you for the details on the terrain, I like the idea to start with a stretch of 40-50 miles that is a little bit easier so my body can get used to his new daily routine ;-) Yes, I was considering bringing a tent anyway.... where it is allowed I might also try to camp on my one... even if I'm terrible affraid of bears.... I know how to deal with cows that go wild (happens sometimes in the alps...) but BEARS?

Images

You will need a tent - this is not an optional piece of gear. You may camp in your tent almost anywhere you want between Damascus and Springer, with a couple of exceptions.* There may be a few days when you can "cowboy camp" -- which means out under the stars with no tent. This is fun when you have a good view of the sky and the weather is favorable. You can also sleep in the wooden shelters along the trail, but they are small and first-come-first-served, so there is no guarantee of a space. There are often good tent sites near the shelters, which are useful since there is usually reliable water nearby. Of course if you find a nice tent site along the trail, you can just set up there by yourself and enjoy it.

Bears: not too big a deal. You'll need to handle your food appropriately. I hang mine using the PCT Method (find videos on youtube to see how this is done - it's relatively easy and I think it's the most secure food storage that doesn't weigh too much). I've seen a lot of bears in this section and they always run away. There are only a handful of foreign visitors killed by bears on the AT in any given year.*

*The most notable exception is the Great Smoky Mountains National Park -- you will need to get a permit in advance, and pay a $20 fee, then you will be required to stay in the shelters as you traverse the park. (Only if there is no room in the shelter, then you may set up your tent close by.)

*This is a joke. There aren't any hikers killed by bears on the AT.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Crowds: when I have hiked during the more popular months, I have enjoyed heading southbound and meeting more people.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    You will need a tent - this is not an optional piece of gear. You may camp in your tent almost anywhere you want between Damascus and Springer, with a couple of exceptions.* There may be a few days when you can "cowboy camp" -- which means out under the stars with no tent. This is fun when you have a good view of the sky and the weather is favorable. You can also sleep in the wooden shelters along the trail, but they are small and first-come-first-served, so there is no guarantee of a space. There are often good tent sites near the shelters, which are useful since there is usually reliable water nearby. Of course if you find a nice tent site along the trail, you can just set up there by yourself and enjoy it.

Bears: not too big a deal. You'll need to handle your food appropriately. I hang mine using the PCT Method (find videos on youtube to see how this is done - it's relatively easy and I think it's the most secure food storage that doesn't weigh too much). I've seen a lot of bears in this section and they always run away. There are only a handful of foreign visitors killed by bears on the AT in any given year.*

*The most notable exception is the Great Smoky Mountains National Park -- you will need to get a permit in advance, and pay a $20 fee, then you will be required to stay in the shelters as you traverse the park. (Only if there is no room in the shelter, then you may set up your tent close by.)

BigCranky, yeah, I'm veeeeeeeeery glad you did mention this was a joke... I'm really afraid of the bears, but your post made that a bit better... but I don't know if I dare "cowboy camping" it sounds like a wonderful thing to do, but then there is absolutly nothing between me and the bears....okay a tent wall would not help either... Next thing I will do is to check out the video on youtube about the food hanging "PCT-style"... yes thank you I was reading about the regulations in the Great Smoky Moutains, I'm totaly okay with getting a permit an sleep in shelters (or around) - there have to be some kind of rules to protect such an beautiful area... Is it correct that il will take me about a week to hike the GSMNP?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post

...But one did have a bit of a go at it last yr in GSMNP.

Dont worry, they killed a few of that bears friends as a warning to it.......
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-08-2017 at 13:09.

Getting to/from the trail and airports. Have you got this figured out?
    Atlanta to or from Springer is fairly easy via shuttle and public transport.
    Damascus, VA maybe not so easy. Tri-Cities airport in Johnson City, Tennessee is the nearest airport, I think. Transportation from the airport to Damascus might not be so easy. The USA is very train and bus challenged in rural areas.
    Harpers Ferry, WV (on the AT) and the trail near New York City are both served by public transportation. I think. Always verify. That section may be shorter than you want.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++