WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for advice on sleeping bags

I have a Northface Cat's Meow 20 degree bag and wonder if it's good enough for my NOBO thru hike. I have done some backpacking but never more than a couple of days at a time. I'm considering down but want to keep the cost down. Any suggestions?

I had no trouble with my North Face Blue Kazoo 20 (down version of your I believe) in Maine in the winter. Keep in mind though, everybody likes different sleeping conditions and current weather really changes up the game. I was in 20 inches of snow but no wind and comfy, on a thermarest ridge rest in a tent. I was wearing wal-mart poly pro to sleep in.

If it were me, I'd go with a high quality down bag, such as a Western Mountaineering product. True temperature range and compacts way better than synthetic. Many here will suggest a quilt. Not for me in colder weather. I toss and turn wildly in my sleep.

Journal Entries

Your bag is perfect for april 1 start, if you dont mind the wt , and bulk, and sleep normal

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    If it were me, I'd go with a high quality down bag, such as a Western Mountaineering product. True temperature range and compacts way better than synthetic. Many here will suggest a quilt. Not for me in colder weather. I toss and turn wildly in my sleep.
    Not a very good way to keep costs down.

Images

The NF Cat's Meow was a very popular bag among thru-hikers a few years back and the climate hasn't changed much since then. There are better options from a weight and compressibility standpoint, but if I already had a bag which worked and was trying to watch costs...I'd stay with what I have.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Your bag is perfect for april 1 start, if you dont mind the wt , and bulk, and sleep normal
    Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    The NF Cat's Meow was a very popular bag among thru-hikers a few years back and the climate hasn't changed much since then. There are better options from a weight and compressibility standpoint, but if I already had a bag which worked and was trying to watch costs...I'd stay with what I have.
    These are the things I was thinking regarding the Cat's Meow.

I've occasionally considered the Cat's Meow when I would find them at a really good clearance sales price.
    But I lucked up at the time and found a great clearance on Mountain Hardware Ultralamina sleeping bag (at the time, the most expensive synthetic bags available).

The weight of a Cat's Meow 20º is a few ounces ligher than the Ultralamina 15º.

But the big downfall of the Cat's Meow is the stuff size. The specs say it comes with a stuff sack that is 9"x16", or ~1,000 cubic inches.

By comparison, my Ultralamina comes with a stuff sack that is 7"x12", or ~460 cubic inches (which is about the same for comparable down bags).

But on the plus side, the Cat's Meow if free, since you already own it.
    So if you can deal with the bulk, save the cash until you NEED to replace the sleeping bag.

It's pretty bulky. It's also quite light for a synthetic 20F bag. It's also free. Only you can put a price per ounce on weight savings that you are comfortable with. Remember to factor in the weight of a compression sack...just sayin!

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Not a very good way to keep costs down.
    In the long run it's very economical. The cost per decade can be quite reasonable.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    In the long run it's very economical. The cost per decade can be quite reasonable.
    Wayne

Perhaps, but there are many options. I didn't think the OP was looking for an opinion on FV, rather was concerned about initial cost/cash outlay.

Quote Originally Posted by SummitSistah View Post
    I have a Northface Cat's Meow 20 degree bag and wonder if it's good enough for my NOBO thru hike. I have done some backpacking but never more than a couple of days at a time. I'm considering down but want to keep the cost down. Any suggestions?
    I tried to save money - didn't think an "expensive" down bag was worth spending money on, so I made do without. I had the walmart bags - the ones that stuff down to about the size of a football; the 40* synthetic for summer and the 32* down for winter. I brought both of them on a Thanksgiving week hike, and when the temps dipped into the teens, I was uncomfortably (possibly dangerously) cold inside BOTH bags. That was when I decided to spend some money on a warm down bag, and I don't regret it.

Suggestion: Watch for sales, end of the year model closeout sales, and get the best quality down bag you can afford on sale. I gave myself a $300 budget, and ended up getting a 650 fill Marmot Never Summer 0* down bag on sale for $215. It is a bit heavier and bulkier than the higher priced, higher fill power bags, but I have slept several nights in the low 20's and several nights in mid to high teens wearing only my base layer, and have been completely warm.

To me, my sleeping bag is my refuge; my safe place, my last resort... etc. They say you shouldn't go cheap on a mattress (at home) because you spend a third of your life on it and the quality of sleep you get is worth spending the money on. I feel the same way about a sleeping bag/pad/ system for hiking.

However, I'm a cold sleeper. If you are not a cold sleeper and don't mind carrying the extra weight and/or bulk of the 20* synthetic bag, then give it a shot. Lots of thru hikers that I have seen both here and on the trail have used 20* bags, layering up on cold nights.

Garlic
    Images

When I finally bought a decent down bag (the Marmot Helium 15 I've used for 10,000 miles and counting), I kicked myself for waiting so long. It's true, money spent on a good down bag will make you happy for decades under normal use, and for many miles under abnormal abuse like thru-hiking. Money saved on a sleeping bag might be a false economy, and could lead to expensive town nights waiting out an April blizzard in the Southern Appalachians.

Best thing is, I got the Marmot for around $200 on steepandcheap.com. If you have time to shop sales, do so.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

And a good high R value pad or pads.

Thom

I have no experience with these, but might be a lower cost alternative: https://outdoorvitals.com/
    That said, since you already have a bag, I would use it and put that money toward something else

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Perhaps, but there are many options. I didn't think the OP was looking for an opinion on FV, rather was concerned about initial cost/cash outlay.
    See posts #11 & #12.
    Buy quality once.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

All of the "buy quality" stuff is absolutely true, and at the same time can be an impossible purchase. I'm very lucky now to have the money for a good bag, but it wasn't that long ago that I was buying the REI no-name synthetic bag on sale for $80 because even that was a stretch.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    DOTTO...I have the WM Alpinelite because it has a lot of room.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Images

See posts #11 & #12.
    Buy quality once.
    Wayne

I agree and I'm sure the creator of this thread does as well, but that isn't the question which was originally asked. They aren't asking whether they should purchase a quality bag, they're asking if the bag they already have would suffice...which it would. Just not at the level of performance a higher quality bag would.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    I agree and I'm sure the creator of this thread does as well, but that isn't the question which was originally asked. They aren't asking whether they should purchase a quality bag, they're asking if the bag they already have would suffice...which it would. Just not at the level of performance a higher quality bag would.
    Actually there are two questions in the OP. Reread the last two sentences.

See posts #11 & #12.
    Buy quality once.
    Wayne

Easy for some, not so easy for others. I interpreted that the question was if you don't think the NF will work, what inexpensive option might work if down was necessary.

Most people on a budget don't worry about 20 year overall life time cost.

Your bias to WM is well documented. It's a no risk suggestion, buy IBM, but not suited to every situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++