WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ZPacks vs. Zimmerbuilt pack add-ons

I'm looking for any sort of feedback from those of you that have experience with the ZPacks and the Zimmerbuilt hipbelt pockets & shoulder pouches. Which do you prefer and why?

Secondly, I'm interested if anyone has used both the dyneema-x and cuben fiber variations of these add-ons and how you'd compare your impressions of them.

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I have a zpacks pocket. Most time dont use it, just put stuff in ziplock and stick in big mesh pocket. Waterproof xippers are difficult to manipulate . While a hipbelt pocket sounds useful, if you dont need to access it while wearing pack...and are able to actually do so....its not that useful, except for organization for type As, or extra room for those with too small packs.

I think most want the organization attribute more than anything.

but again, waterproof zipper is difficult to manipulate. Takes two hands.
    this is why Joes original arc blast pockets had a drawcord and a flap that covered the top, and could be used with one hand while walking.
    But no body wanted to buy those
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-05-2017 at 21:17.

I have used both Cuben and Dyneema grid hip belt pockets from Zpacks. Love 'em both... perfect size for my needs.

As MW mentions, the zippers can be a bit stiff which causes one-handed operation to be difficult. Here and Here are links to a modification I came up with that helps a lot with this problem. In my experience it works better with the Cuben hybrid than the Dyneema grid because the Cuben hybrid is a bit stiffer.

Basically it involves using some Cuben repair tape to affix some 75lb test Zip ties parallel to and on either side of the zipper, on the inside of the pocket. Here is a video of it in action.

I use two hip pouches no holes and zippers work fine after three years. I can still open them one handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh they were zpacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmoulder, I was actually looking over your mod earlier today; pretty clever! I wonder how strips of poly-strapping would work in place of the zip-ties?
    https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.c...ping?keywords=

How would you compare the rate of wear between the two materials? Although the differences may be miniscule, would you say they dyneema-x is worth the extra weight, or rather the contrary?

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk

That stuff might work if you can somehow stick it to the material. I can't tell from the link the dimensions of the poly strap material.

Nice thing about the zip ties (they're 14" BTW) is that they have about the right stiffness and are narrow, so that the Cuben tape has more area for adhesion. Goldilocks Principle at work again, lol.

Rate of wear.... I haven't used the Dyneema pockets nearly as much, but I think that long term they will be more durable. Got a couple of small holes in the Cuben pockets that probably would not have happened with the Dyneema, but the Cuben pockets are super easy to repair with the tape... so you won't go horribly wrong either way IMO.

I have only used the Dyneema ZPacks hipbelt pockets. Need two hands, as others have said, but they are huge and secure. I carry everything I need for the day in the pockets and I really like them.

Zimmerbuilt are better quality.

thom

I use Zpacks Cuben hip belt pouches and like them a lot. Carry snacks, cell phone and some other smalls odds and ends in them. I also use the Zpacks shoulder pouches too. Both the hip belt and shoulder pouches have held up well over the couple of years I've had them. I can't comment on the Zimmerbuilt pouches, I've never owned or used any of there gear.

I have two Zpack cuben hip pouches and I think they are great. No real problems with the zippers and I went with cuben over dynema for the extra moisture protection. The hip pouches are generous in size, weigh almost nothing and help me get to items I need when on the move.

I don't have experience with zimmerbuilt.

I have Zimmerbuilt hip pockets and they are great. As a bonus, he even customized the attachment for me at no extra cost and they shipped the same week I ordered.
    Mine are x-pac, by the way.

++ New Posts ++