Default Favorite Northern Section

I have a 4 days of vacation to use before March. I'm thinking of doing a northern section of the FT, about 80+ miles.

What sections would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaHiker View Post
    I have a 4 days of vacation to use before March. I'm thinking of doing a northern section of the FT, about 80+ miles.

FT? I am not familiar with the acronym. If you meant to write "AT" then the Long Trail, Rutland VT to Williamstown, MA is just about 80 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmountainguy View Post
    FT? I am not familiar with the acronym. If you meant to write "AT" then the Long Trail, Rutland VT to Williamstown, MA is just about 80 miles.
    FT is the Florida Trail.

1. hike Ocala National Forest section, it's about that long. I hiked it in Feb 2013, great hike.

2. further north there's some nice sections in viciinity of St Marks and Appalachicola National forest

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    FT is the Florida Trail.
    Ah. That pretty much eliminates Vermont from consideration!

North Florida

ST Marks
    St Marks is one of my favorite sections. Stay the night at ring levy campsite you are only like 1/2 mile from the ocean. You also get to hitch on a boat across the St Marks river. The section is only about 30 miles. Unless you combine St Marks with apalachicola national forest. Permit required 30 days in advance.

Eglin Airforce Section
    This section is also great. Permit required 30 days in advance. 30 mile section.

Central Florida

Ocala National Forest
    Great 70 mile section. See rare scrub jays. Make sure to stay at hidden pond campsite.

South Florida

Big Cypress
    Some of the most remote trail I've ever hiked. See drawf cypress and Aligators. Tough 30 miles sometimes you might only avg 1 mph. Lots of mud and water.

If if you have any more questions let me know

I've not done St Marks so that is a great option. My son works at Eglin, but I've not hiked the full base yet, so that is another option. Hidden Pond Campsite is great and a wonderful place to meet bears. Nothing like being in a hammock and hear bears in your site. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've not done St Marks so that is a great option. My son works at Eglin, but I've not hiked the full base yet, so that is another option. Hidden Pond Campsite is great and a wonderful place to meet bears. Nothing like being in a hammock and hear bears in your site. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I forgot to mention water can be tricky at ST Marks. Salt water intrusion is real depending on the tides.

The Suwannee River section is nice. Well maintained by the FTA. It also offers some diverse terrain.

Thanks for the Suwannee River section idea. That looks interesting minus the snake. I ended up doing the Eglin section which was a great trail. Suwannee River will probably be next.

That pic validates that saying about checking first before stepping over a log!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    That pic validates that saying about checking first before stepping over a log!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's the second snake I almost stepped on on that section!

Great pics Wormy !!

creek

++ New Posts ++