WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hiking Again

Tons of people still use alcohol. I don't know what people mean by "hassle." Pour, light, boil. Drudgery! About the only hassle is keeping the fuel warm while Winter hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    Tons of people still use alcohol. I don't know what people mean by "hassle." Pour, light, boil. Drudgery! About the only hassle is keeping the fuel warm while Winter hiking.
    Situate required windscreen, measure fuel, pour, light, wait....wait....wait....wait....wait....wait....wa it....wait....wait....boil. LOL

I do agree that its not too much of a hastle to use an alcohol stove, so I'm really just funnin' here. For me personally, though, and after having used both and gone back to canisters, the ease-of-use and remarkably better speed-to-boil time for the canister option trumped the weight penalty. Plus, if you are schlepping everything in a comfortable, well-made and properly-fitted pack then the extra few ounces should be moot. YMMV.

[QUOTE=Christoph;2115608] I'm 6'2" and use a $40 Ebay tent that's 6x4 feet and I sleep diagonal. /QUOTE]
    Christoph,

May I suggest not going with such a tent. I went out for a week with one of these types of tents. It worked great for one night, then it started going down hill quickly. Once one small thing went wrong, it seemed the tent just fell to pieces. I understand the need for an inexpensive tent, but there is a big difference in cheap and inexpensive. I am currently searching for a inexpensive tent for an upcoming trip. I hope you don't get caught by a cheap tent like I did.

Michael

map man - Thanks for that. I bought a Sawyer Squeeze about a month ago and will replace the Katadyn I had from years ago. I used a platypus with a bite valve to drink water on the go before, but would like to improve that setup this time. Any ideas there?

Default Footwear Question this time

When hiking before I wore Asolo Fusion boots and fought blisters and toenail problems regularly. On my shorter hikes in the local area since then I have used trail runner type shoes - Salomon's - and I have worn basically thin nylon dress socks like you would wear in dress shoes to church - no blisters or other foot problems. This was 8 to 10 miles on weekends and only carrying about 15 lbs on day hikes. So, I'm wondering if this will work on a thru and carrying 35 lbs. Also concerned about how to go through the Smokys in March with that on my feet and rain and snow.

I wear these* with Darn Tough trekker socks and have never had any issues. That said, I also carry down slippers to wear around camp in colder weather and my total loadout weighs only about 11lbs (incl. pack and water).

* https://www.amazon.com/Saucony-Mens-.../dp/B006NWFJRS

i am not a fan of heavy, rigid, clunky boots but then again I haven't done any backpacking over really rugged terrain or toting loads in excess of 20lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    map man - Thanks for that. I bought a Sawyer Squeeze about a month ago and will replace the Katadyn I had from years ago. I used a platypus with a bite valve to drink water on the go before, but would like to improve that setup this time. Any ideas there?
    Been using Platypus containers, hose & bite valve since forever. I added a 2 liter Hoser to my 1 liter rig last year. Platypus works.
    The soft, roll up Nalgene canteens work great too if you need extra capacity. My 3 quart Nalgene canteen weighs less than 1 ounce per quart.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

My motto:
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Been using Platypus containers, hose & bite valve since forever. I added a 2 liter Hoser to my 1 liter rig last year. Platypus works.
    The soft, roll up Nalgene canteens work great too if you need extra capacity. My 3 quart Nalgene canteen weighs less than 1 ounce per quart.
    Wayne

+1 Nalgene soft canteens. I get the widemouth 3L as well. One for "bad" water and one for good water. Carry them on a single 'biner on the back of the pack...I don't bother with rolling them up..YMMV...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++