WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've cooked with TVP at home - added to chili; spaghetti, etc. with or without hamburger. Pretty unnoticeable. I've also made TVP sloppy joes that the kids raved about. Bonus is how fast the sloppy joes are to make.

I've taken a version of the sloppy joes backpacking. It worked out well - tasty and quick.

As previously noted, some people do have digestion issues with TVP. It's good to start with a small amount to see.

-FA

I tried TVP in years past and found it somewhere between revolting and mildly disgusting. I saw this product in my local store recently - http://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/entr...g-protein.html - and this thread made me think about giving it a try. I tried it plain by itself and found it rehydrates quickly in about an equal volume of water and the TVP tastes like breakfast cereal. The texture is firm. I would rate it as acceptable. I am planning to do some experimenting with it in ramen etc. 24gm of this TVP has 12 gm protein and 80 calories.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I tried TVP in years past and found it somewhere between revolting and mildly disgusting. I saw this product in my local store recently - http://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/entr...g-protein.html - and this thread made me think about giving it a try. I tried it plain by itself and found it rehydrates quickly in about an equal volume of water and the TVP tastes like breakfast cereal. The texture is firm. I would rate it as acceptable. I am planning to do some experimenting with it in ramen etc. 24gm of this TVP has 12 gm protein and 80 calories.
    I've found the Bob's Mill TVP the most acceptable protein adulterant for inadequate meals — always best strongly spiced, in my opinion. I also found that TVP responds much better to rehydration when pre-soaked. I pre-soak most meals starting when I fill my water supply mid-afternoon (which among other factors allows dry-camping.)

"I tried TVP in years past and found it somewhere between revolting and mildly disgusting."

Why? Just asking.

TVP in itself has almost no flavor by itself. The same can be said for Tofu. Eggs or oatmeal cooked by themselves also have little favor. They take the flavor you add to them salt, pepper, sugar, butter, hot sauce, whatever on eggs. Oatmeal same thing.

The Bobs Red Mill TVP texture is very similar top sautéed ground beef.

So, I'd like to know why you say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    "I tried TVP in years past and found it somewhere between revolting and mildly disgusting."

Why? Just asking.

TVP in itself has almost no flavor by itself. The same can be said for Tofu. Eggs or oatmeal cooked by themselves also have little favor. They take the flavor you add to them salt, pepper, sugar, butter, hot sauce, whatever on eggs. Oatmeal same thing.

The Bobs Red Mill TVP texture is very similar top sautéed ground beef.

So, I'd like to know why you say that.
    No harm in asking. I guess I got a hold of some bad stuff in the past. It was cube shaped, had a squishy rubbery texture and a flavor that was off putting even when in strongly flavored food. The Bob's Red Mill is light years better than the other stuff I tried.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    No harm in asking. I guess I got a hold of some bad stuff in the past. It was cube shaped, had a squishy rubbery texture and a flavor that was off putting even when in strongly flavored food. The Bob's Red Mill is light years better than the other stuff I tried.
    I've had similar feelings with horridly plastic stuff that I bought just last Spring. Bob's is so much less offensive!

I've done the "chunks" of TVP before, and the best analogy is dog kibble. The granules are the way to go.

Basically, it is what left of the soy bean after "they" have taken out all of the oil. All of the protein, calcium and other nutrition without the fat. The "leftovers" are then "textured" into flakes, crumbles, cubes etc. You soak the TVP in hot water to inflate it, then you cook with it.

Some people object to TVP for two reasons
    1. It gives *SOME* people gas
    2. Hexane, a carcinogen, is used to separate the oil from the soy beans

As far as #2 goes EXTREMELY LITTLE hexane is uses, several decimal places of a fraction of what the safe does is. There are brands of TVP made with organic soybeans that do not use hexane ( read the label, write to the company ). They can be a little bit more expensive.

As far as keeping protein up and calories low there are many other soy foods like tofu, tempeh, edammame and various faux meats. There is also seitan ( wheat gluten ) which is extremely high in protein, extremely low in calories and can be made to look like meat.
    I just travel the world with my backpack and my cameras and a bunch of Clif bars.

Well, I tried it and it "worked" - leave an extra 1/4 cup of water in the pot, and add 1/4 cup TVP. Wait 10 minutes. Eat. It's like you're eating mac and cheese, with the occasional TVP taste. Not a bad way to get an extra 12g of protein.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++