WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by H I T C H View Post
    I went to an REI Garage sale at the Columbia MD store last year. I scored 4 pair of shoes (2 for me and 2 for my wife) for about $100.

They let people in in groups. Each group had 20 minutes to shop. The groups were formed on first come first serve basis. Tickets were passed out at 8 an the first group was allowed in at 9. I was in the 3rd group.

I think that in my experience the 3rd group was a better spot than the second group. People go in and grab lots of stuff and then go out into the store to try it on, call friends to see if they want it, or just deliberate a purchasing decision. The items that they don't buy go in a bin and get put back on the sale tables.

My theory is that none of the unpurchased items from group 1 have made it back to the sale table by the time group 2 gets in.
    20 minutes is not a lot of time.

Everyone that I met was nice and I did not see any rude behavior from shoppers.

I am wondering why some stores use a lottery and others use first come first in.

Hitch
    This sounds like the best approach to me so far. The cattle call method or the lottery method see to have more flaws than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by H I T C H View Post
    I went to an REI Garage sale at the Columbia MD store last year. I scored 4 pair of shoes (2 for me and 2 for my wife) for about $100.

They let people in in groups. Each group had 20 minutes to shop. The groups were formed on first come first serve basis. Tickets were passed out at 8 an the first group was allowed in at 9. I was in the 3rd group.

I think that in my experience the 3rd group was a better spot than the second group. People go in and grab lots of stuff and then go out into the store to try it on, call friends to see if they want it, or just deliberate a purchasing decision. The items that they don't buy go in a bin and get put back on the sale tables.

My theory is that none of the unpurchased items from group 1 have made it back to the sale table by the time group 2 gets in.
    20 minutes is not a lot of time.

Everyone that I met was nice and I did not see any rude behavior from shoppers.

I am wondering why some stores use a lottery and others use first come first in.

Hitch
    My wife is a big believer in the 3rd group theory.

I've been to two garage sales in Indianapolis. Last weekend, I showed up 10 minutes before open and stood in line with about 500 other people. The store was fairly crowded and not enjoyable for me, but I made it out with a pair of pants (on sale), pair of socks (not on sale), and a footprint (not on sale).

As soon as I got home, I realized that in a rush to reach around people I grabbed the wrong footprint. Fortunately, living only a few minutes from the store, I headed back the same afternoon. The store was quiet, and I was able to calmly browse what was left of the sale items. Having been 6 or 7 hours since opening, the piles had been reorganized. Much to my delight, I found a (basically) brand new pair of Oboz that had been on my wish list for awhile. Worn outside once. Only $60. A win for me.

The buzz of the early morning line was exciting, but not worth the grabbing crowds. I'll settle for afternoon leftovers at future garage sales.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Went to the new flagship store in DC, lined up twoish hours early, it was 30 degrees. Once doors opened at 9, leaned unsettling news about their sale layout. All garage sales I've attended prior were set in storage spaces off of the sales floor. The D.C. store dispersed their garage sale items around the store. I was told they were trying the format out. In the end it kind of worked better because it wasn't so crowded. But no one should have been lined up like that.

Scored a pack for $6. Had ill-fitting hiking pants in hand but decided against. In general lots of clothing items that I didn't need and some packs.
    Dang, the DC flagship ended up having the sale? I've been wanting to check it out but when the sale wasn't on their store events site I figured it was because they didn't have enough returned items to sell yet. Maybe I'll check out the store this weekend.

I don't go often but one GS a couple of years ago I made a killing. Copper Spur 2 and 4 both 50% off and basically new, not a mark on them. And also an Osprey Porter 30 travel pack like new and 50% off. The cashiers were stunned when I checked out!

Images

Dang, the DC flagship ended up having the sale? I've been wanting to check it out but when the sale wasn't on their store events site I figured it was because they didn't have enough returned items to sell yet. Maybe I'll check out the store this weekend.

i wasnt impressed by the place...

was just the same REI as every other one ive been in....

except for the fact that i used to see many a punk rock show back in the 80's there.....

Images

I don't go often but one GS a couple of years ago I made a killing. Copper Spur 2 and 4 both 50% off and basically new, not a mark on them.

not even the sharpie X that they put on to signify its a garage sale item?

Yes, big old X on each item. But I couldn't find anything wrong with any of them. Not even a little dirty. All three get used a lot!

Best thing about the D.C. Store is the national park service ranger detailed there. Full time, knowledgeable and super friendly. The architecture is interesting and it's right down the street from me. No complaints. I already have all I need (in red AND blue) but always a good time to waltz through

Quote Originally Posted by B.j. Clark View Post
    I don't go often but one GS a couple of years ago I made a killing. Copper Spur 2 and 4 both 50% off and basically new, not a mark on them. And also an Osprey Porter 30 travel pack like new and 50% off. The cashiers were stunned when I checked out!
    At my last GS I found an Osprey Farpoint 40 with tags still on it for 50% off. Reason: the store had lost the shoulder strap. Not a problem - I was never going to carry a 40 liter bag messenger-style anyway! I use it exclusively with the backpack straps and it's perfect for carry-on only travel. I also found an Osprey AG Premium Child Carrier for a friend for 56% off, also new with tags, because the store couldn't sell it as new because there was a tiny rip in the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Best thing about the D.C. Store is the national park service ranger detailed there. Full time, knowledgeable and super friendly. The architecture is interesting and it's right down the street from me. No complaints. I already have all I need (in red AND blue) but always a good time to waltz through
    Always a good time, plus (for me) it's significantly closer than the next closest REI. So it'll probably become my main store.

I'll OPTOUTSIDE on the garage sale day....reminds me of Black Friday shopping. I'll PASS.....don't need anymore crap! Once was enough for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I went to the one in College Park, MD. I got there at 0630 in the morning and the doors did not open until 0845. It was annoying to stand there shivering in the cold for 2+ hours, then a lady came out from her warm truck to join her daughter in front of me 10 minutes before they started to hand out tickets. She ended up with the last ticket for the 1st group and I got a ticket with the 2nd group. There were others that set out camp chairs and left them empty until it was ready to pass out tickets. The whole this turned me off and I think it will be my last.

That being said, I did get an Osprey Atmos 65 AG for $128. It was missing a couple of buckles and small hole in the front mesh pocket.

It's a jungle out there hey.
    Good score. Hope you like it.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The fact that REI often has so many of these "garage sales" across the country signals to me that they have serious issues that need to be addressed.
    Alice: This is impossible.
    The Mad Hatter: Only if you believe it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gritty View Post
    The fact that REI often has so many of these "garage sales" across the country signals to me that they have serious issues that need to be addressed.
    Please elaborate ...

No need to call in McKinsey and Company - it's not rocket science. They have the garage sales to clear out and recover some costs for merchandise that was returned to REI but not returnable to the REI's vendors. They also use the garage sales to sell off equipment that was retired from the rental inventory. Most of it comes from returns, but the business model, including their return policy, seems to be working for them. They adjusted the returns policy not too long ago, so one might infer from that that they do actually manage and monitor their business.

What issues? I think it's brilliant. The store makes a bit of money and a lot of loyalty, the customers get a discount, what's the problem?

I've had issues with other stores where I purchased what appeared to be a brand new item for full price only to open the box and find old, destroyed equipment inside. Now, THAT'S a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by damskipi View Post
    What issues? I think it's brilliant. The store makes a bit of money and a lot of loyalty, the customers get a discount, what's the problem?

I've had issues with other stores where I purchased what appeared to be a brand new item for full price only to open the box and find old, destroyed equipment inside. Now, THAT'S a problem!
    Sounds like Zappos!

Wife and I went a few weeks ago to the one in Greensboro and spent close to $1k. about $600 was on the GS and the rest was on normal priced items. The GS is a GREAT model! I would have held off on a lot of items, but being I was able to buy some items at a discount it let me buy others at full price that I would normally wait for a sale for.

Back on topic: The one great grab for me was the Eno Solo Pod. Picked one up in box (beat all to hell) with the only issue being rust (pretty common issue) for $80!!!

Not sure what kind of serious issues there are in selling used and returned merchandise that vendors will not take back. I'm not sure what kind of serious issues there are in bringing a lot of people to the store for a special event sale (some stores can generate crowds of several hundred people). And I'm not sure what leads one to believe why bringing all these people into a store for a special event sale where they can mill around and purchase new gear at retail prices would be a serious concern.

As a marketing platform, a special event sale like the "Garage Sale" can generate standard retail sales far beyond an average day while reducing the overhead costs of returns and creation of good will/higher retail loyalty with customers who get some pretty fair bargains in the process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++