WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default REI Garage Sale Finds

Just attended an REI garage sale yesterday, and I was able to score a great deal on a Thermarest Xlite, which was great since I was looking for a light, insulated sleeping pad. I also saw a couple get a great deal on some Osprey packs. It just made me wonder what great gear people have found on their own REI garage sale outings.

I'm curious. What time did you get in line? Which REI location?
    Glad you found something functional and useful for you.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Doors opened at 9, and we got there at 8:45. The REI was in Atlanta.

I have been to one garage sale. Arrived at 7am & store opened at 9 or 10. I was almost a block away from the front door. By the time the store opened, everyone in front of me who were "place holders" for their buds had attracted several friends. On top of that, folks who arrived after me wormed their way in front of me. That one experience cured me.
    You were extremely lucky.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I've heard they can be that way. People were actually pretty considerate for the most part. I've never seen so many puffy jackets, mine included, in one place before.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I have been to one garage sale. Arrived at 7am & store opened at 9 or 10. I was almost a block away from the front door. By the time the store opened, everyone in front of me who were "place holders" for their buds had attracted several friends. On top of that, folks who arrived after me wormed their way in front of me. That one experience cured me.
    You were extremely lucky.
    Wayne

My one and only experience was similar. It was at the REI at Perimeter Mall in the Atlanta area. The line literally wrapped around the building and people were letting their friends in with them in their spot well after the line had formed. When the doors opened, people sprinted to the higher valued items, grabbed as much as they could carry, and went outside to sort through what they grabbed to decide what they actually wanted to buy. It was an awful event and one I'd never repeat. Selfishness, compounded by a general lack of courtesy, was the order of the day.

I went to an REI garage sale twice. First and last. Experience much like previous posters. Not worth it IMO, but glad some people had success.

Images

I have scored great deals on a hammock for $69 , REI Backpack for $15 with its only blemish being a torn mesh side pocket and in need of a good scrubbing.
    Also like new pair of Leki trekking poles for $39 . Both Merrell and Keen hiking boots for $5. The one drawback to getting great deals is you need to be the first group in.
    When I go to these I get there INSANELY early. Unlike some states where there is a lottery system in place, to alleviate overnight campers, here in VA it's first come first in the door.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I've always had a great time at the Garage Sales and have found many deals over the years. On Saturday I got:

- an REI Flexlite Chair for 75% off (one of the shock cords on the legs had snapped, but it works fine if you just stick the legs in the ports. Just need to be careful not to leave it behind since it isn't attached)
    - a shirt and skort that I will use for travel, both 50-60% off and in like-new condition

I've never had more than one rude person try to cut me in line at any GS, and those were both solved with a firm look in the eye and an "excuse me, can you please back up?" Unlike johnnybgood, I find in VA that I don't need to arrive that early for my location. I've been to two GS at this location and each time arrived ~30 min before opening; both times I was about the 40th person in line. Since they let everyone in at once, that means I entered the sales within a minute or two of the first people in line. It's been different in other states.

I found Saturday's sale odd. I stayed late because there were a few items I couldn't make up my mind about, and when I left about 3 hours after the sale started there were still a ton of great items including about 10 new-with-tags or like new backpacks at 40-75% off. I was quite surprised. Other items that didn't sell were three never-used tents (only 25% off), most of the bikes, and a ton of clothing. I was one of only 4 people in the GS area at that point. In Nevada they cut the prices by an additional 50% at 2pm; I wonder if they did that here? Otherwise they are going to continue to have a ton of leftover inventory.

I went to the one in Delaware. I got there about 5 minutes after it opened and there were a lot of people in the back but we just walked right in, no line at 9:05. There were at least 50 people. They had a lot of stuff, but I did not find a lot. I was able to get a nearly new pair of trail runners for $33. Almost bought a nice pair of boots for 1/3 price, but they had metal lace holder broken off so that would have cost some money to fix. Also looked a bags saw a exos 58. it had a broken buckle, I was told Osprey would send a new one. The guy in the store did not think it fit well on me that I needed bigger size. Also he said it was best for those carrying under 30lbs. So I did not get that. I think it pays to go early and stake out a few things you might like say a couple tents. then you put them out and see if they meet your needs. Seemed like a bunch of people were doing that. I.e. Carrying thing around not sure they wanted them.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I've never been to a REI garage sale. In Colorado, they tend to busy from what I understand. And getting there early was suggested.

The idea of lining up on a Saturday so I can buy stuff for the outdoors rather than be outdoors never made sense to me. Esp as a full time working stiff where every free weekend is precious.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Thought about a Hennessy but decided against it and put it back. Only things for me were an Osprey pack cover and a Nalgene. Almost got a rooftop rack but the mounts weren't correct for my vehicle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

The REI's around here have a lottery system. I arrive 5 mins prior, and have just as good a chance as someone there 2 hours prior. I get a bad #, I go home. I dont like this system.

Journal Entries
    Images

I go to most REI garage sales for the past few years, unless I am backpacking. I was first in line in our local store in south Jersey. It helps to be in the first 25 or so people. The line always gets long, and first in line, get first look and picks, but people get in fast and then it doesn't matter so much after the first ten minutes. If you want a new bike or kayak or tent, being early helps lots. Having 2 of you helps even more. That being said, I have been at one where they forgot to bring an expensive bike out until 90 minutes after the sale started. They made a late comer very happy. There were lots of airpads and sleeping bags at this sale. Always lots of shoes, including new ones. I got some stuff I needed at a good discount. The best prices are on items that need minor repairs. I go because I enjoy this type of shopping. If it isn't your style, skip it. (Some stores in the area let x number of people in for x minutes, and then push you out. Ours doesn't do that.) Over the years, I have bought gaters, a sleeping bag, air mattresses, shoes, great everyday boots, and clothes.
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NJdreamer View Post
    I go to most REI garage sales for the past few years, unless I am backpacking. I was first in line in our local store in south Jersey. It helps to be in the first 25 or so people. The line always gets long, and first in line, get first look and picks, but people get in fast and then it doesn't matter so much after the first ten minutes. If you want a new bike or kayak or tent, being early helps lots. Having 2 of you helps even more. That being said, I have been at one where they forgot to bring an expensive bike out until 90 minutes after the sale started. They made a late comer very happy. There were lots of airpads and sleeping bags at this sale. Always lots of shoes, including new ones. I got some stuff I needed at a good discount. The best prices are on items that need minor repairs. I go because I enjoy this type of shopping. If it isn't your style, skip it. (Some stores in the area let x number of people in for x minutes, and then push you out. Ours doesn't do that.) Over the years, I have bought gaters, a sleeping bag, air mattresses, shoes, great everyday boots, and clothes.
    One more note - I have also bought new boots on the bearfoot's facebook site that others bought at their local REI garage sale. For me, they were a bargain. For the seller, they are selling something they ended up having buyer's remorse (or possibly wanting to make a few dollars).
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

Went to the new flagship store in DC, lined up twoish hours early, it was 30 degrees. Once doors opened at 9, leaned unsettling news about their sale layout. All garage sales I've attended prior were set in storage spaces off of the sales floor. The D.C. store dispersed their garage sale items around the store. I was told they were trying the format out. In the end it kind of worked better because it wasn't so crowded. But no one should have been lined up like that.

Scored a pack for $6. Had ill-fitting hiking pants in hand but decided against. In general lots of clothing items that I didn't need and some packs.

I have found a lot of great things at REI garage sales. My local store recently started passing out tickets at 8:00 and opening at 9:00. I think they let in 15-20 people in 15 min shifts. This weekend we slept in and went over at noon to see what was left. I was still able to find a like new pair of solomon's for about 40 bucks.

Over the years I have bought about a dozen pairs of shoes, a few tents, some coats, etc. My wife has found a bunch of stuff also.

I went to an REI Garage sale at the Columbia MD store last year. I scored 4 pair of shoes (2 for me and 2 for my wife) for about $100.

They let people in in groups. Each group had 20 minutes to shop. The groups were formed on first come first serve basis. Tickets were passed out at 8 an the first group was allowed in at 9. I was in the 3rd group.

I think that in my experience the 3rd group was a better spot than the second group. People go in and grab lots of stuff and then go out into the store to try it on, call friends to see if they want it, or just deliberate a purchasing decision. The items that they don't buy go in a bin and get put back on the sale tables.

My theory is that none of the unpurchased items from group 1 have made it back to the sale table by the time group 2 gets in.
    20 minutes is not a lot of time.

Everyone that I met was nice and I did not see any rude behavior from shoppers.

I am wondering why some stores use a lottery and others use first come first in.

Hitch
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

I think one size doesn't fit all, what works for one store may not work best for another

I just got a Thermorest Neolight as well at the garage sale this weekend, $95 and return tag said "wife hated the sounds it made"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++