WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    ???

With my Flash 62, I carry the tent body, fly and groundsheet in a single stuff sack and put it in the shovel pocket on the back of the pack. The poles go in their own stuff sack and into a side pocket, using the pack's compression straps to secure the pole sack in place. The bottom straps on the Flash are hampered by their buckles(at least on mine) and I wouldn't strap anything other than a CCF pad to them...certainly nothing I couldn't live without...unless I had a secondary securement....
    Wit my Flash 62:
    * sleeping bag, cloths, sleeping pad, food and stove in the main pocket
    * 1st aid and 'cat hole' stuff sacks in the brain
    * water filter (and anything else that needs ability to dry out) in the side mesh
    * camp saw, other toiletries, misc gear in main pocket on back of pack
    * tent (poles, stakes, ground sheet) in tent bag in bottom straps.

I must say the buckle took some getting used to for cinching the straps down tight. I've found the straps to be sort of slick in terms of side to side movement. The straps have never loosened, but if the tent isn't cinched down tight, it tends to slide out the side of the straps.

I once encountered some branches blocking the trail. I decided to take a few minutes to cut them out of the way. Since it wouldn't take long, I didn't bother to take off my pack. But the sawing motion was enough to have my tent slip out of the straps and slide about 25' down a steep embankment.

Normally, to prevent such an event from happening, I usually pass the buckle thru the cinch cord loop of the tent bag. That way, if the tent bag slips out the side of the straps, the straps at least hold onto the cinch loop to prevent me from loosing the tent.

On that particular day, I had not passed the buckle of the straps thru the cinch cord loop.

I've since learned to cinch the REI Flash straps tighter, and pretty much never forget to pass the buckle thru the tent bag cinch cord.

For a 2016 JMT thru hike, I purchased an Osprey Volt. It too has straps at the bottom that I used to lash the tent to the outside of the pack. But those straps are wider and easier to cinch. Didn't have any issues with the tent slipping in those straps.

Very different packing systems for the same pack!

I use an eVent pack liner, which holds the following, from bottom to top:
    sleep pad
    clothes in a ul stuff sack(its a cheapo ul dry bag...fill with air...great pillow!)
    stove/pot/gas can/windscreen/lighter in a ul stuff sack
    campsite items in a ul stuff sack(wetfire cubes, multitool, battery pack, headlamp, 1st aid, pad repair, needle/heavy gauge surgical thread, meds, etc...)
    sleeping bag

On top of the pack liner is the food bag and then the water bladder.

In the side pocket not occupied by the tent pole bag is my rain jacket.

Water purifier in zipper back with rain pants, hat and gloves in a ziplock.

3L Camelback widemouth canteens(1 good water, 1 bad water) carabinered to back of pack.

100 feet of dyneema cordage anywhere I can stuff it...

Nikon AW110 in right hip belt pocket

Honey Stingers, caffeine pills and a trail bar or two in left hip belt pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    ***???

I thought this forum was a place to share ideas, so help pass knowledge on to others.
    Your response makes it sound like I've given away some ancient secret that can only be shared by some secret brotherhood.

All I've done is show a simple way to rig up some straps... and since a picture is worth a thousand words, it seems so much simpler to try to put together a drawing that figure out how to explain routing straps thru buckles.
    Sorry. The internet didn't transmit my big grin and chuckles.
    But seriously folks, having grown up around external frame backpacks, canoes and sailboats securing gear does not baffle me.
    I was in an outdoor shop yesterday and they had several external frame packs hanging from the rafters. I tried to buy a late 60s or early 70s top of the line Kelty. No deal. Shucks!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Sorry. The internet didn't transmit my big grin and chuckles.
    But seriously folks, having grown up around external frame backpacks, canoes and sailboats securing gear does not baffle me.
    I was in an outdoor shop yesterday and they had several external frame packs hanging from the rafters. I tried to buy a late 60s or early 70s top of the line Kelty. No deal. Shucks!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nor does it me, manipulating hanks of rope is pretty much camp/hiking 101...and it's fun!

Default boy scout skills....

I remember using the packers diamond hitch...many...many years ago in the boy scouts. It can be used with an external frame without a pack. You put all your stuff in a tarp or tent and fold it in a rough rectangle...then attach it to the frame with the packers diamond hitch. (it's also useful for packing mules!!)

I could almost see it being used today for ultra-lighters...no pack required...just an external frame...and some pioneering skills...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++