WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I do figure those in daily, when planning my day. When I figure up the miles for the week (so far I have only done week-long trips) on the trail, I add in those distances because people want to know "how far did you hike?" and whether it's 69 miles or 87 miles, they are usually awed.

However in my running total of AT miles, I don't count the "extra miles"; I stick with what the mile marker in the Guidebook says... plus the miles in the Smokies, since I've done that section twice.

I do sometimes go off the trail a bit to get to a shelter for the night, but I won't do that for a lunch stop. The furthest "detour" I've taken is to Whitley Gap Shelter (1.2 mi off trail) because that was after a resupply at Neel Gap (a delay), followed by a heavy loaded trek up the hill on a full belly ... and the next shelter was 4.8 miles further. My hiking partner didn't feel he could do 4.8 miles after that butt kicking climb out of Tesnatee Gap.

I take off trail miles into account planning days, because it does matter.
    Sometimes a shelter is .5 mile off trail, and water is 0.25 miles more , all downhill.

I remember the Whitley gap shelter sign. I thought W..T...F...would go that far off trail for a stinkin shelter? Not me thats for sure. Now if it had an incredible view or something, then maybe.

Yes. Because it's there.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++