WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PinkEagles View Post
    ...I've read a lot about how cold/wet/icy the trail is in early March, and coming from San Diego it's tricky to practice for those conditions. I don't mind being uncomfortable, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't walking into it horribly ill equipped....
    We are gong to carry a set of microspikes for any real icy conditions that may show up. Many will say this is overkill and not needed, but I view them as a 12-ounce insurance policy against a possible hike ending injury. We'll send them home with our winter items after Roan mountain, if not before.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    We are gong to carry a set of microspikes for any real icy conditions that may show up. Many will say this is overkill and not needed, but I view them as a 12-ounce insurance policy against a possible hike ending injury. We'll send them home with our winter items after Roan mountain, if not before.
    Insurance against racking up zero's because the trail is too icy/snowy....ice storms are not uncommon at all...

Images

absolutely agree, we'd be carrying ours for an early march start.

My wife's fleece pants weigh in at 6.7 ounces in size small, maybe an ounce heavier than her midweight long john bottoms. They are both warmer and have the added benefit of being wearable around town.
    cool, mine are 22 ounces, stupid heavy, light fleece pants sound great. I carry a microfleece top, about 7.5 ounces, vs my 20 ounce fleece jacket. Kinda analogous. .. i didn't realize there are microfleece pants.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    absolutely agree, we'd be carrying ours for an early march start.

cool, mine are 22 ounces, stupid heavy, light fleece pants sound great. I carry a microfleece top, about 7.5 ounces, vs my 20 ounce fleece jacket. Kinda analogous. .. i didn't realize there are microfleece pants.
    They're really nice for what she uses them for, no bells of whistles beyond the right rear zip hip pocket.

http://www.backcountry.com/the-north...4-005056941669
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

They're really nice for what she uses them for, no bells of whistles beyond the right rear zip hip pocket.

http://www.backcountry.com/the-north...4-005056941669
    Outstanding! thanks. BTW, that TKA 100 fabric is precisely what I call "microfleece".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Outstanding! thanks. BTW, that TKA 100 fabric is precisely what I call "microfleece".
    Sure thing. Fleece has started to find it's way back into my gear again as well. I have a microfleece 1/4 zip which I really like...maybe the most comfortable piece of gear I own.

She has a Mountain Hardware 1/4 zip pullover made of a very similar material that she loves as well. If it's bitter cold, she can layer with her Patagonia lightweight Capilene t-shirt, Midweight Capilene 1/4 zip, the MH 1/4 zip, and finally her MH Ghost Whisperer hooded jacket. She adds her Marmot Precip jacket over all of that if it blowing hard.

Gearing up to Keep her warm enough during the day and night has been a huge part of my pre thru-hike planning (and purchasing ). Much of our gear was perfect for late early May through late October in the southern Appalachians, but it fell short of meeting our needs for early March.
    Last edited by Engine; 12-20-2016 at 13:19.

Microspikes are part of my standard load for any trips in January and February, possibly March. Certainly March. Plus, if you want to really stay out all winter and not have to bail into a town, bring a snow shovel. A shovel will encourage daily packing, daily moving and daily setting up in deep snow on a daily basis. Why? Because it will allow you to properly prepare a tent site. It doesn't help in postholing but it's great otherwise.

Part of winter kit---Voile XLM shovel, microspikes, MLD eVent shell mitts.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Insurance against racking up zero's because the trail is too icy/snowy....ice storms are not uncommon at all...
    Absolutely, and while zeros in town waiting out weather aren't fun, zeros in a shelter because you cannot navigate the icy trail can be downright dangerous.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Microspikes are part of my standard load for any trips in January and February, possibly March. Certainly March. Plus, if you want to really stay out all winter and not have to bail into a town, bring a snow shovel. A shovel will encourage daily packing, daily moving and daily setting up in deep snow on a daily basis. Why? Because it will allow you to properly prepare a tent site. It doesn't help in postholing but it's great otherwise.

Part of winter kit---Voile XLM shovel, microspikes, MLD eVent shell mitts.

I will definitely consider it, especially when I just looked and saw this is less than 9 ounces.

http://www.campsaver.com/crest-snow-shovel

Images

To the OP, it would appear I have completely hijacked your thread. I apologize, that was not my intention.

Absolutely, and while zeros in town waiting out weather aren't fun, zeros in a shelter because you cannot navigate the icy trail can be downright dangerous.
    Dangerous? In what way? I've spent dozens of zero days in my tent during winter Hell Storms. In fact, knowing when to hunker in can be a life-saver.

Images

Dangerous? In what way? I've spent dozens of zero days in my tent during winter Hell Storms. In fact, knowing when to hunker in can be a life-saver.
    I agree for a well-stocked hiker, but when thru-hiking with only 1 extra day of food in the pack, not being able to move for days on end could really stink. Maybe "suck" would have been a better description of the consequences than "dangerous".

Upgrade to Patagonia capalene thermal weight bottoms and hooded top, they are much better than mid. A down beanie to sleep in does much more than it sounds like.

IIRC, for a small fee z packs will overstuff your bag if you send it back.

If you are still worried, add a ridge rest UNDER your pad. The cold ground really saps warmth out.

What is your shelter?

No big deal but I have found thru testing and experience that a CCF pad works better (warmer) on top of the inflatable pad. At least my Thermarest Solar pad does.

Images

No big deal but I have found thru testing and experience that a CCF pad works better (warmer) on top of the inflatable pad. At least my Thermarest Solar pad does.
    I've read and heard that both above and below are better, depends on who you ask. I have a hard time understanding what difference it makes since R-values are cumulative, wouldn't you get the same effect either way?

The only reason I put my CCF pad under the inflatable is that it seems to help keep the slippery inflatable from moving all over the tent floor.

Images

I've read and heard that both above and below are better, depends on who you ask. I have a hard time understanding what difference it makes since R-values are cumulative, wouldn't you get the same effect either way?

The only reason I put my CCF pad under the inflatable is that it seems to help keep the slippery inflatable from moving all over the tent floor.
    I find no difference, but conditions change and hard to be totally objective, and theoretically it should make no difference, we've argued this over and over, dog gone it, I'm going to test this sometime, I have a thought experiment that should work well, and my backyard is nice and frozen right now....

I agree for a well-stocked hiker, but when thru-hiking with only 1 extra day of food in the pack, not being able to move for days on end could really stink. Maybe "suck" would have been a better description of the consequences than "dangerous".
    That is one of the definitions of stupid light. Especially in winter.
    Tuna straight out of the foil pouch isn't one of my favorite things. I stash a couple in my pack (bottom of my food bag) for a special occasion. Like when the manure hits the ventilator. Things will have to be pretty grim before I eat the tuna.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I think the Sheriff and some 5th Ranger's had to bring food to some stranded by the ice storms in Feb and March 2014, on Section 1 in Georgia...to start a thru hike in February at Springer without traction aids is just ounce-wise and pound-foolish...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    That is one of the definitions of stupid light. Especially in winter.
    Tuna straight out of the foil pouch isn't one of my favorite things. I stash a couple in my pack (bottom of my food bag) for a special occasion. Like when the manure hits the ventilator. Things will have to be pretty grim before I eat the tuna.
    Wayne

Getting down to your last day of food is stupid light? The point I was making (albeit, not very well) was that you can't necessarily know when you'll be stranded, and if it happened toward the end of a resupply stretch, you could easily end up going without food for a day or so while you waited on weather to change. In the winter, not eating could be a problem.

Hence, the microspikes.
    Last edited by Engine; 12-21-2016 at 10:03.

Getting down to your last day of food is stupid light? The point I was making (albeit, not very well) was that you can't necessarily know when you'll be stranded, and if it happened toward the end of a resupply stretch, you could easily end up going without food for a day or so while you waited on weather to change. In the winter, not eating could be a problem.

Hence, the microspikes.
    It's all relative. Do what works for you. I'll do what works for me.
    It's all good.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++