WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Pack color?

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    I got a black pack and a orange cover. I have a variety of colors though. It can enhance my mood.
    a "mood pack" that changes colors...berrie intaesting

Whatever color the pack has, all parts contacting the body should be black or another very dark color, to let dry off the sweat in the sun faster.
    On all my older Lowe packs its designed like this, but in the newer packs (various Deuters, a Gregory, a Lightwave and some nonames) it isn't.
    Seems that pack designers are focussing on the more fancy features nowadays, than on the basic ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Its gotten harder to buy gear now that some trails have color restrictions and the fines have become exhorbitant.
    If your not joking, please be sure and list those trails so I can make them off my to-do list. I'm guessing most of them are in CA - ha!

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have a bright red Elemental Horizons Kalais pack. My other gear tends to be drab colors to blend in. I do have a silver mylar coated dollar store car sunscreen I cary for sitting on, tent alcove floor, extra insulation under sleeping pad, or stove wind block (good multi use item). I also figure it can function as a signal device so the SAR people can find my body. I've never hiked in hunting season. Not sure if the red pack is visible enough. Does it have to be orange?

But there is a great video of a lecture on bear safety by Tom Smith. It has been referenced in several bear threads. In that lecture, he says that bright colors attract bears to your campsite. I think this applies mostly to tents, as that is what will be visible at night when the bears are likely to visit. One of the definitions of stealth camping is to camp in such a way as to not at track critters. Usually the focus is on minimizing scents, but minimizing visual I'm act may also be a part of at least according to Smith. I don't know if he has published research on this issue or if he was just speaking on anecdotaanecdotal evidence, but he is very experienced so it's worth considering.
    Hmm well I am not sure what Mr. Smith actually said exactly, but it is certain that bears do not see oranges or reds anywhere near as well as we do. Most of what people think about various animals eyesight is wrong (excepting those who spend the time to learn the specifics - I don't know how many times I have had to explain to people that dogs 'can' see colors and not just black and white, though they are red/green color blind). Bears are primarily scent driven as the link explains.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/20...bear-eyesight/

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Have you really found that black a pack get's that much hotter in the desert than another color so much so that it becomes a problem?

I'd be curious to see some actually numbers, it would be interesting to see. I guess it would depend heavily on the fabric the pack is made of as well
    I have about 8000 miles of real desert hiking experience and wanted to add a little to your skepticism.

I think the only physical effect which might come into play with a dark pack over a lighter (more reflective) color pack is the extra heat it would hold 'might' spoil your food quicker. But since most of us don't carry spoilable food it would not matter.

Now when it comes to what you are actually wearing it does make a big difference. Black (or dark color) shirts, pants, shoes and especially hats is definitely a bad idea in really hot sunny locations.

Images

A recent study proved that those with yellow packs finished the trail more often than all other packs combined. Purple packs were more apt to quit.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

I don't care what color my pack is, as long as it coordinates with my outfit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I don't care what color my pack is, as long as it coordinates with my outfit.
    Now that's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    A recent study proved that those with yellow packs finished the trail more often than all other packs combined. Purple packs were more apt to quit.
    HAHAHAH!!! That is the post-of-the-day!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I have to admit -it's easier to find stuff in a light-colored pack, that's the only practical consideration I have color-wise. Except of course avoiding annoying bulls or hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Anyone want to buy a not so gently used purple ULA CDT?

I'm still looking for a paisley colored pack; that way I will have all color variations covered!!

Quote Originally Posted by boshettee View Post
    I'm still looking for a paisley colored pack; that way I will have all color variations covered!!
    Check with ULA, I think they made someone a Hello Kitty pack.

(or maybe it was pink camo)

I use a black pack but I tend to wear bright colors un treat warmer months. In the colder months I use an orange pack cover.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

I'm not too concerned with the pack color as exposed to following hikers' eyes, but I really don't want the part nearest my back to be dark. Any chance the sun has to heat that up will, by Murphy's grace, be sufficient to make you feel like you're wearing a heating pad. That's the biggest downside to the ULA Circuit: regardless of the fabric color chosen, the majority of that pack is black. Sweat city!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++