WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I used to live in Tampa(Temple Terrace) and attended University of S. Florida.
    Grew up on Temple Ave. many, many moons ago.

For the OP, the GA Loop is a good loop and about ~50mi. Keep in mind the DRT has limited water sources.

I live in Blue Ridg Ga, lots of great trails in the Aska adventure area also some in Tennessee, also some great hikes on the Benton MacKaye trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Not willing or financially unable? Because, I don't get unwilling. I get financially unable.

Sigh. There's this thing....something....Indian.....something.....loo p.....do some homework and you will find what you are looking for. A good place to start would be to google "northern georgia loop hikes"...
    Why does it seem like every post from you is negative and judgemental? Can you try to be more respectful and positive please. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by coyote9 View Post
    Why does it seem like every post from you is negative and judgemental? Can you try to be more respectful and positive please. Thank you
    Thank you for that respectful and POSITIVE non-judgemental feedback, in public.

Images

Thank you for that respectful and POSITIVE non-judgemental feedback, in public.
    I asked you politely and respectfully to be respectful to others here. Nothing wrong with doing so in public eye. You have already caught some attention on here from others in regard to your comments. More than once you have violated the rules of this forum when you attack and belittle others. People seek the trail for peace, nature, and a renewed faith in the love that mankind is capable of. You remind them of what they are trying to get away from when you degrade and condescendingly respond to honest opinions and questions.

I asked you politely and respectfully to be respectful to others here. Nothing wrong with doing so in public eye. You have already caught some attention on here from others in regard to your comments. More than once you have violated the rules of this forum when you attack and belittle others. People seek the trail for peace, nature, and a renewed faith in the love that mankind is capable of. You remind them of what they are trying to get away from when you degrade and condescendingly respond to honest opinions and questions.
    Nonsense. I reply to honest questions with honest answers, based on more than 40 years of wilderness experience. And, unlike most, I usually add hyperlinks to assist the OP in finding the goods. Now, "opinions" are a different animal. Everyone has one. And, in a public forum, if you put out an opinion that is not based upon fact, you should be prepared to debate your opinion. When your opinion is so preposterous as to be laughable(e.g. hiking poles are an essential safety item) then you should be prepared for some scorn, derision, and general guffawing. Especially if you invent stories/facts to support an untenable position. If you look at my posts responding to honest questions, you will see straightforward answers, possibly of value! Usually without any snark. However....if you ask a question on a public forum that a 5 second Google search would have disclosed the answer to...you may get an honest reply with a heavy dose of snark. Or, in some forums....<crickets> will be the response to said question. If you ask for an opinion, you will get one. Depending on your phrasing of your request for said opinion, it may or may not come with snark. I am sorry you are so offended. I would tell you I will change, just for you. But I don't lie. So, I won't.

Also, I don't do passive-aggressive. If you think I violate TOS or rules, report me. Send me a PM if you don't like me and want me to change my evil ways. You posted this, in public, hoping others would chime in, supporting your negativity towards me. Classic passive-aggressive. If you think that I am an offensive troll whose constant and pervasive negativity are harshing your buzz and I am somehow infringing on how " People seek the trail for peace, nature, and a renewed faith in the love that mankind is capable of. " by " remind them of what they are trying to get away from when you degrade and condescendingly respond to honest opinions and questions." then you or anyone else needs to hit the 'ignore' button and be done with me. Your little post is quite the picture of someone seeking peace and a renewed faith in the love that mankind is capable of, isn't it? But, you are entitled to your opinion. I'd say I would try to play nicer, but I already play nice with those asking honest questions and those who give reasoned opinions. Those with passive-aggressive tendencies, and those who have half-baked or completely wrong opinions(when compared to unassailable facts) may get the snark. I will refrain from name-calling(I prefer the term "adjective"...). There. Happy now?

HYOH. YMMV.

dude. a web forum, even a web forum about the trail, is not the trail...

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    Hate to state the obvious but the southern terminus of the AT is in Georgia. Just go there and start walking.
    Or, check in at the lodge, catch a shuttle to the border, and hike back to the lodge. My wife and I did that for a shakedown and enjoyed it.

Now, if you really don't want a shuttle, even just a one way, and really want a loop ...

Just do this loop: http://www.atlantatrails.com/hiking-...freeman-trail/

You can look at more short hikes and loops: http://www.atlantatrails.com/blog/ge...l-great-hikes/

It is hard to know exactly what you are looking for.

You can also do something similar (using Greyhound busses instead of shuttles) in combination with http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/arch.../t-113171.html

You know, I owe the OP a slight apology. Upon reflection, I should not have been so snarky and obfuscated the actual name of one of THE best two or three day loops on the AT. I should have come right out and said it. It's famous enough, I suppose....I won't give away my secrets about it though!!! Here are some links. Its called "Standing Indian Loop" and includes free, safe parking, two mountains, one of which is kind of a real ascent, not a walk. And, a fire-tower. And...well...you need to study an AT map, a topo map and search for some more clues, I've given too much away!! Just kidding...kinda...YMMV...

https://www.theoutbound.com/north-ca...alachian-trail

And.....the final authority......

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ng-Indian-Loop

Just sayin...

You know, I owe the OP a slight apology. Upon reflection, I should not have been so snarky and obfuscated the actual name of one of THE best two or three day loops on the AT. I should have come right out and said it. It's famous enough, I suppose....I won't give away my secrets about it though!!! Here are some links. Its called "Standing Indian Loop" and includes free, safe parking, two mountains, one of which is kind of a real ascent, not a walk. And, a fire-tower. And...well...you need to study an AT map, a topo map and search for some more clues, I've given too much away!! Just kidding...kinda...YMMV...

https://www.theoutbound.com/north-ca...alachian-trail

And.....the final authority......

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ng-Indian-Loop

Just sayin...
    That wasn't too hard was it?

I second the Georgia Loop with the AT and BMT. Haven't done it myself but that area is beautiful. I have done part of the BMT further north around Big Frog Mtn.
    I've done 50+/- miles of the Pinhoti in Alabama, pretty nice but no opportunities for a loop. From my understanding (others may have better info) the Pinhoti in Georgia still involves a lot of roadwalking (as does the southernmost section in Alabama south of Hwy. 280.)
    I think if you want to test yourself (physical fitness as opposed to just gear readiness) you should do something with significant elevation change, like any of the trails in North Georgia. I realize it's a long drive for you but if you can make the opportunity, it will be worthwhile.
    One last word re: snarkiness: hike your own hike. Cliche perhaps, but true.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++