WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    You have to let go of everything temporarily to do it. That's part of the allure...
    I disagree with the notion that you have to let go of everything to thru hike as if it's a necessity. This is a common misconception perpetuated by those that organize, or more accurately lack organization and the forethought, to design their thru-hikes to be a positive experience BOTH simultaneously addressing off trails aspects of their life and on trail aspects of their life.

In this age, perhaps at no other time in history, has their been made available ample opportunity to address off trail commitments and responsibilities while on an AT thru-hike. I do it. I've seen countless others that do it too.

There's a mistaken idea that one has to neglect commitment and responsibility off trail while being on trail. These two aspects of one's life can be integrated leading to success in both areas.

Instead of giving greater creedence to stories of how one has to absolutely 'let go of everything' to thru-hike I sincerely suggest giving greater weight to those that accomplish this through their, not someone else's, personal accounting of how they do it.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I watched this video and 3 months later set out for a thru hike with absolutely zero doubt in my mind. This still applies to every day of my life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMsvHVITCGE

The decision to thru hiking is like having kids: it's never the "right" time, but you never regret the decision once it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by sadlowskiadam View Post
    The decision to thru hiking is like having kids: it's never the "right" time, but you never regret the decision once it happens.
    Umm, uhh plenty of folks conscientiously plan for having children. Not all children arrive on the scene as consequences of unthoughtful unplanned unbridled self centered live in the moment screw the potential consequences behavior.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Justification to Thru Hike

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Umm, uhh plenty of folks conscientiously plan for having children. Not all children arrive on the scene as consequences of unthoughtful unplanned unbridled self centered live in the moment screw the potential consequences behavior.
    I guess us Catholics are just screwed then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

True enough - but those are exactly the ones who are MOST aware that it isn't the "right time." They're just also aware that a better time isn't coming.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Lol If the individual is conscious enough to perceive a better time isn't foreseen maybe that's an indication to consciously plan for not having children? Jus saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I guess us Catholics are just screwed then.

Treading lightly. Don't you know what your guy has said? Pope Francis - "avoiding pregnancy is not an absolute evil." How well stated.

I disagree with the notion that you have to let go of everything to thru hike as if it's a necessity. This is a common misconception perpetuated by those that organize, or more accurately lack organization and the forethought, to design their thru-hikes to be a positive experience BOTH simultaneously addressing off trails aspects of their life and on trail aspects of their life.

Regret not having reworded this so that it does not imply the reasons for not thru-hiking always relate to a lack of organization or forethought. Everyone has their own reasons, their own situations, that can justify any personal decisions.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Lol If the individual is conscious enough to perceive a better time isn't foreseen maybe that's an indication to consciously plan for not having children? Jus saying.
    We may be in violent agreement once again. Did my wife and I know what we were getting into? Surely not! Could we know what we were getting into? Without having experienced it, I don't think anyone knows what parenting is like. Could we offer an ideal environment and bring a child into the world at a perfect moment? Of course not! Would waiting help? Not really. So we did the best we could. I think the kid turned out OK. She's living on her own, and gainfully employed, in a job that makes a difference in people's lives. Would I make the decision to have her if we had it to do over again. Definitely!

Any big life decision, or even a medium-sized life decision such as the decision to thru-hike, is the same. Nobody knows what the consequences will be, and nobody ever has all the ducks in a row. You do what you can with the hand you're dealt.

As you point out, everyone has their own reasons for their personal decisions. I'll most likely never be a thru-hiker, not because of lack of organization or forethought, but perhaps because of too much forethought. I can see too many ways in which I'd regret that decision. There are too many responsibilities that I'd leave unfulfilled, too many tasks that I'd neglect, too many people depending on me that I'd leave behind. I'll keep on enjoying the hiking that I do, and enduring the sneers of some of the Real Hikers.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by goldielocks View Post
    I feel the need to justify to myself that taking off from life for 6 months to thru hike the AT is an acceptable choice.
    I've read this whole thread and there are some interesting points. I've taken this bit out of your question because to me this is the guts of your doubts. You are not taking off from 6 months off life but taking 6 months to enjoy life.

Sometimes what's happening in our life does not allow us to do the things we want and we have to wait. I had planned to do the AT in 2015 and this year would have been doing the PCT, but other things popped up that prevented that. But if the gods are smiling and this is your only doubt then go for it. You can never tell what is waiting around the corner, injury, illness, change of circumstances can mean you may never end up doing this.

As long as you have the financial capability and other circumstances are right then HOW much do you want it?
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Use the "deathbed" test. Will you regret doing/not doing it on your deathbed?

The fact is that we regret more things that we didn't do, than those that we did (because doing is living, not doing is not living).

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    ...Did my wife and I know what we were getting into? Surely not! Could we know what we were getting into? Without having experienced it, I don't think anyone knows what parenting is like.

Nobody knows what the consequences will be, and nobody ever has all the ducks in a row. You do what you can with the hand you're dealt...
    Doesn't register.

I'm sure a smart considerate person as yourself, and I assume that plays into the character of your wife and the decision to marry that specific person, KNEW that babies don't come from storks long before you bumped uglies. SURELY, your wife and you had some idea of the potential consequences of unprotected intercourse. I'll also assume most who do become parents have some inkling about parenting before they become parents. This is a far bigger difference than having a random chance of a set hand of cards dealt to oneself and you just make the best of the hand you're dealt. We have a say in what we experience. Quality of Life doesn't just happen to us. We have a say in the quality of life we experience. You can't ignore the laws of cause and effect isn't happening when we have children.

Journal Entries
    Images

8^)

It depends on the responsibilities. If it's quitting a job and not a career that's easier. Now in my case I had my bills paid off so I was just pushing my retirement off 7 1/2 months, including time to find a new job, to do something I would have done then in the present. If I had debts that were accumulating interest while I was gone that would have been more difficult and I may have put it off. Of course, at a later point I could have had a career that I didn't want to risk losing. Family responsibilities would have been entirely different.

It's a lot easier to justify after its done but 70% of those who try don't finish. Although not finishing doesn't mean a long section hike can't be justified. Sometimes it requires taking a leap of faith (in yourself).

Journal Entries
    Images

If you can't justify, in your mind, to do a thru-hike or not. How do you expect to deal with the 100s of daily decisions that you will have to make while on the trail?
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    It depends on the responsibilities. If it's quitting a job and not a career that's easier. Now in my case I had my bills paid off so I was just pushing my retirement off 7 1/2 months, including time to find a new job, to do something I would have done then in the present. If I had debts that were accumulating interest while I was gone that would have been more difficult and I may have put it off. Of course, at a later point I could have had a career that I didn't want to risk losing. Family responsibilities would have been entirely different.

It's a lot easier to justify after its done but 70% of those who try don't finish. Although not finishing doesn't mean a long section hike can't be justified. Sometimes it requires taking a leap of faith (in yourself).
    A week on the trail, with the knowledge that it wasn't for you, or that you will readjust and be back, is priceless

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    If you can't justify, in your mind, to do a thru-hike or not. How do you expect to deal with the 100s of daily decisions that you will have to make while on the trail?
    100's of daily decisions?

Like when to start walking
    and when to stop
    Where to eat
    and when to get water

the great thing about hiking, is it simplifies life into sleeping, eating, walking, and pooping
    Thats it
    And these are minor things

Hey. If you've been able to make it work in your life now, do it now! Waiting only makes it less likely that you'll ever do it! Look at it this way. So far, you've put off the trail for the day to day clang and bang of modern life. That is something to feel guilty about! In fact, how do you justify that? You know the old story. When you are sitting in your rocker at the nursing home, your regrets will be the things you didn't do, not the things you did! Get out there and become one with the trail!

Journal Entries
    Images

Nobody works for the same company for more than a few years now. Today's teenagers will change jobs every three years until they retire. Carving out four or five months to thru-hike a trail somewhere in that mix is NOT a career ender. In fact, it could be the catalyst for a jump to a new company in a job higher up the ladder with enough of a raise to completely pay for the hike. You don't have to COBRA your present insurance. You can go online and get a high deductible major medical policy for a couple dollars per day in premium. Where there is a will, there is a way, and if that will just won't shut up, the mind will go into overdrive to find even more ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressure D View Post
    I agree with Deadeye. I honestly started dreaming about thru hiking when I was 20 years old. I thru hiked in 2013 when I was 56 years old and had retired from teaching and coaching! I waited 36 years.I had four kids and my youngest was a freshmen in college and a son was a senior. I actually got an incentive to retire that year. I think if you have to quit your good job and give up your good pension you may live to regret it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++