WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chimney2Fire

Depends on the age of the teens.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Why weren't they charged with murder? I thought that was commonly done when arson results in deaths.
    When an arsonist lights up a build full of people... sure.
    But in this case, we're talking about a grass fire that got out of hand.
    While the arson's are culpable, Mother Nature was the primary cause of such wide spread destruction.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

As a follow up to making the case for murder...
    Investigations are still on-going...

..and I found it interesting that a resident for Ski Village was interviewed on NPR today. He doesn't believe the ChimneyTops2 fire is the cause for all the destruction. If I understood him correctly, he thinks (and might have actually witnessed) that some of the fires were caused by electrical sparks from trees blown onto power lines.

While I don't recall the exact words used, when asked about the arsonists, he was extremely pissed off for the destruction they clearly caused in GSMNP, and went on to say that IF the ChimneyTops2 fire resulted in loss of life, the arsonists should be held responsible. But as of right now, he is not fixing the blame for loss of life on the arsonists.

Images

(i posted this same response in the other thread)

so, ive been outta my newsroom since this fire happened, but from what i have gathered through some of the emails from the officials, along with emails from my coworkers with updates on their stories/angles that they are pursuing------i do believe that we have been reporting that some of the fires were started by the downed lines and transformers......

i believe that there were multiple sources of ignition, but the majority of the fire was caused by the flying embers with the wind that day, and one area that burned, that fire was caused by the downed lines...

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    (i posted this same response in the other thread)

so, ive been outta my newsroom since this fire happened, but from what i have gathered through some of the emails from the officials, along with emails from my coworkers with updates on their stories/angles that they are pursuing------i do believe that we have been reporting that some of the fires were started by the downed lines and transformers......

i believe that there were multiple sources of ignition, but the majority of the fire was caused by the flying embers with the wind that day, and one area that burned, that fire was caused by the downed lines...
    I read a statement by a spokesperson for the Park Service saying the same thing. I read the statement while the trees were falling and the electrical grid was setting fire to the fuel on the ground. I believe that was November 27.
    Authorities here dismissed the scenario. They blamed the entire conflagration on the Chimney Tops 2 fire which was started by a carelessly discarded cigarette. As reported by eye witnesses.
    Recent statements indicate that the events are still being investigated.
    "It ain't over till it's over."
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5112/34887/

THIS WILL BE THE FINAL UPDATE FOR THE CHIMNEY TOPS 2 FIRE
    Incident Summary: The Chimney Tops 2 Fire was reported in Great Smoky Mountains National Park near Gatlinburg, TN on Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at approximately 5:20 pm. The wildfire began burning in a remote location (Chimney Tops) of the park in steep terrain with vertical cliffs and narrow rocky ridges making access to the wildfire area difficult for firefighting efforts. On Monday, November 28, exceptional drought conditions and extreme winds caused the wildfire to grow rapidly, causing many new wildfire starts from embers carried miles away and downed powerlines in and adjacent to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Cobbly Nob Fire was one of these fires.
    Fire Status: Both the Chimney Tops 2 and the Cobbly Nob fire acreages remained unchanged at 17,140 and 764 respectively. Containment of both fires remained the same for Chimney Tops 2 at 94% and Cobbly Nob at 96%. Rainfall over the area and high humidity will keep fire behavior to a minimum and no spread is expected. Containment will increase once aerial reconnaissance of the fire perimeter can be conducted; weather has prohibited air operations for the last two days.
    On Thursday, December 15, management of the fires within park boundaries will transition from the South Atlantic Interagency Incident Management Team to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to be managed with local resources and personnel. General fire information questions should be directed to Sugarlands Visitor Center at (865) 436-1291. Updated trail and backcountry campsite information can be obtained by visiting https://www.nps.gov/grsm/index.htm or by calling (865) 436-1297.
    Firefighters with all operations will continue to monitor and patrol the fires until all fires are 100% contained. The Tennessee Division of Forestry continues to conduct fire suppression and management outside of park boundaries.
    Incident Resources: 3 hand crews, 10 engines, 1 helicopter, 130 total personnel
    Road Closure Status: Cherokee Orchard Road in Great Smoky Mountains National Park remains closed at this time. For updated park road information please call (865) 436-1200, extension 631.
    Trail and Campsite Closure Status: Chimney Tops Trail, Road Prong Trail, Sugarland Mountain Trail from Mt Collins Shelter to Little River Road, Huskey Gap Trail, Rough Creek Trail, Old Sugarlands Trail, Twin Creeks Trail, Baskins Creek Trail, Bull Head Trail, Rainbow Falls Trail, Trillium Gap Trail, Grapeyard Ridge Trail from Campsite 32 to Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, Gatlinburg Trail, Cove Mountain Trail, Sugarland Valley Nature Trail, Noah Bud Ogle Nature Trail, Cove Hardwood Nature Trail, the Sugarlands Horse Concession trails, and the quiet walkways along Newfound Gap Road. All park campsites that are normally open this time of year are open, with the exception of Campsite 21 on Huskey Gap Trail.
    Can anyone wager a guess on how long it will now take for these trails to re-open?

because these days everyone gets a second chance and usually more than second chances. Everyone EXPECTS second chances and I'm sure someone will say "they were just kids being kids". I am a teacher and I hear this all the time, there are never any consequences for actions. Besides it's because their teacher doesn't like them or raised their voice at them.

Quote Originally Posted by baszabo View Post
    because these days everyone gets a second chance and usually more than second chances. Everyone EXPECTS second chances and I'm sure someone will say "they were just kids being kids". I am a teacher and I hear this all the time, there are never any consequences for actions. Besides it's because their teacher doesn't like them or raised their voice at them.
    While i agree this opinion has some validity in local communities, I'm not sure one can compare school disciplinary actions with felony statutes and juvenile law at this level. Its dependent on a lot of factors, which we don't have a lot of facts yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++