WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Put your shoes where you can rest elbows on them to help with dangling arm syndrome.
    I tried the shoes-under-elbows trick but it didn't work for me. And the mummy shape of the xlite shortie slipped out from under me all night like a greased pig.

Glad I discovered the short-wide Trekker in the rectangle shape with horizontal baffles as that is what works best for me. While I love the Trekker, I was able to get an older rectangle-shaped long/wide Neoair original thru gear swap and cut it down to the exact same size as the Trekker. It weighs 10.4 oz and is my favorite for 3-season.

If you put some 1 inch strips of silicon adhesive on bottom of your air pad it wont slip out or slide around

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I tried the shoes-under-elbows trick but it didn't work for me. And the mummy shape of the xlite shortie slipped out from under me all night like a greased pig.

Glad I discovered the short-wide Trekker in the rectangle shape with horizontal baffles as that is what works best for me. While I love the Trekker, I was able to get an older rectangle-shaped long/wide Neoair original thru gear swap and cut it down to the exact same size as the Trekker. It weighs 10.4 oz and is my favorite for 3-season.
    The xlite short is very narrow at bottom thigh length. dont know why they make thigh as narrow as foot normally is when make a short pad, but some knucklehead thinks thats how you do it.
    I sleep fine on it. I prefer long one, but mostly use the short due to 7.6 oz wt. My head is usually on my shoes /spare clothing sack to have as much pad beneath me as possible. Tips of shoes under the pad to incline it a little

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    There are also new sleeping bags out there that have a pocket for the sleeping pad and less insulation underneath because the pad stays in place. If I was sleeping on the ground instead of in the trees, I'd probably try one of those.
    You are talking about the Big Agnes "system." I have it and used it this year for 530 miles NOBO from Springer. You're right about the thermal characteristics. There is no insulation in the bottom of the bag because BA says the pad provides insulation. That may be true, but I was cold in April (30 degree bag). I bought a fleece liner and that solved the problem. When weather got warmer in May, I didn't use the liner and it was perfect for sleeping. The sleeping bag is a Gunn Creek, which is a rectangular bag, so plenty of room to move around on the pad BA sells to go with the bag. Best of all, you can't roll off the pad.

I can only tell you what works very well for me:

Montbell UL spiral stretch down bag ( temp rating of your choice)
    Exped LW pad (lots of options) - I have had more durable luck with Big Agnes quilted pad
    Sea to summit luxery inflatable pillow

EARPLUGS
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Update on this:

I ordered a 50 degree EE quilt. I thought about going 40 degree but I already have a 20 and really during my last trip at least, if i put my thermals on, I really only wanted a sheet on me. The 50 degree quilt should be good. I did go for the long so I could get it over my head without pulling my legs up. I also added a touch to the width because it was almost no weight and should make it easier to keep the drafts out.

I still haven't bought a new pad though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The xlite short is very narrow at bottom thigh length. dont know why they make thigh as narrow as foot normally is when make a short pad, but some knucklehead thinks thats how you do it....
    Exactly the problem I had with that pad. What genius thinks a pad should be wider at the head than at the hips? A true lightweight 20x48 (when inflated) rectangular pad would be something I would probably grab if it ever came to market.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Exactly the problem I had with that pad. What genius thinks a pad should be wider at the head than at the hips? A true lightweight 20x48 (when inflated) rectangular pad would be something I would probably grab if it ever came to market.

You could cut down a full size to your "dream" size . I have a short xtherm ,don't think it's made anymore. Very warm and works great for me as a side sleeping quilt user.

Thom

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    You could cut down a full size to your "dream" size . I have a short xtherm ,don't think it's made anymore. Very warm and works great for me as a side sleeping quilt user.

Thom
    I have seen Youtube videos of people doing that and it looks easy, but I have a hard time rationalizing the purchasing of a new pad and immediately hacking into. If I ever find a great deal on a used one, I might give it a go.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dreamweaver21 View Post
    Update on this:

I ordered a 50 degree EE quilt. I thought about going 40 degree but I already have a 20 and really during my last trip at least, if i put my thermals on, I really only wanted a sheet on me. The 50 degree quilt should be good. I did go for the long so I could get it over my head without pulling my legs up. I also added a touch to the width because it was almost no weight and should make it easier to keep the drafts out.

I still haven't bought a new pad though.
    Wise move on going with a wider quilt, you'll be glad you did. I know I wish I had...

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    You could get a neoair trekker and cut it down. However I understand your aversion to slicing into a brand-new air mat.

Alternatively, the Trekker also comes in a 25"x47" version that weighs 13oz.

I would guess that a 20"x47" would weigh about 11.5oz. I have a brand new Trekker in the 20"x72" size that I would cut down to 20"x47" (inflated length) and send to you for $90. Or cut it down yourself, if you want. PM if interested.

Images

It really is not hard to cut down a Neo-air, you just have to make sure it is a good one before you do it. No warranty, a risk I take to carry the perfect custom sleeping pad. I have cut down the All-season, X-lite, and X-therm all in the large size to get the 25 inch width. No leaks, use whichever one matches my trip. Full length for me is 65 inches, no need to carry 77 inches just to keep my body parts fully on the mat.

True, it's really not a difficult or tricky mod. But with some of these air mats costing north of $200... well, there's a bit of a 'pucker factor' the first time, lol.

It builds confidence to do some test runs with the hot iron with the leftover end after cutting. But I have a couple of modified mats with a lot of nights on them with no problems. My pride and joy is a cut down old-school NeoAir the same size as my torso/wide Trekker, and it weighs 10.4oz. Ahhh... to have exactly what you're aiming for!
    Last edited by cmoulder; 12-23-2016 at 15:50.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++