WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Events along the way

I know about the half-gallon challenge, and the MD challenge. What other things are there along the way, and where exactly are they?

Thanks!

That depends on how you see the AT Experience, hiking in general, wherever, and your individual interests.

I'm sure many will chime in with activities, sights, etc immediate and localized to the AT. That's GREAT. There will be many awesome suggestions. I recognize no hike as a 30" wide tread or even narrow route. I recognize every hike as being much more than about hiking. I see every hike as having potentially worthy experiences within about a 200 mile swath with the trail/route within that swath. This brings into consideration a MUCH MUCH wider range of worthy experiences to choose from that support and add to the hike.

My question is more of a curiosity thing. I see the whole AT as an experience of its own. Truly do not have any wish to do either of the challenges I have heard of, looking for pure information without opinion.

Example:
    Half gallon challenge is at the pine Grove furnace state Park general store. Attempt to eat a half gallon of ice-cream in one sitting. Some hikers have even eaten an additional pint.

Journal Entries

Many you will find out on the way just talking to other thru hikers.

-There is a marathon distance into Damascus (stay in the shelter at the apx 26.6 mile mark from Damascus to do this).
    -Hike Naked day (First day of summer - wherever you are on trail)
    -Moon the Cog Railway at Mt Washington I believe has fallen out of fashion.
    - 4 state challenge hike from VA to PA in a day (VA,VW,MD,PA)

My thoughts are "don't struggle to meet other people's standards". Why should you feel bad if you fail or don't take part?
    Why damage your health eating a carton of ice cream because it has become a misguided silly tradition (promoted as a sales stunt)? Why rush Maryland, one of the nicest states with beautiful historical sites that deserve slow contemplation?

This includes the whole thru hiker trip, set up by others and you feel horrible if you fail... who cares what others think!

Make your own standards and events. Run (hike) your own LIFE. It will be happier and more meaningful!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    Example:
    Half gallon challenge is at the pine Grove furnace state Park general store. Attempt to eat a half gallon of ice-cream in one sitting. Some hikers have even eaten an additional pint.
    The
    The additional pint is because the regular size serving is no longer a half gallon, but a pint short. Good enough for most, but some like to be traditional and do the full half gallon for the challenge.

Not seeking to be a jerk or debate but, umm, you're asking for opinions by asking "What other things are there along the way, and where exactly are they?

What I said goes to context and clarification of your question and answering.

As mentioned, you'll find there are some that are not specific to a particular location. You will also have options such as do I hike through 4 states in one day or would I rather stop in HF and take the train into DC. You'll have to ask yourself if it is worth beating your body up by doing 40 miles in a day and possibly having to take a day off afterwards to recover or possibly getting physically ill after eating a mass quantity of ice cream. Its possible that 40 miles might not be that much more than you are used to at that time and if you don't eat much of anything for several hours before reaching Pine Grove the ice cream might not make you sick.

I may or may not have skipped lunch or had lunch at the shelter prior to Pine Grove because I forgot how close I was to Pine Grove which would have effected my decision to do the half gallon challenge I also may or may not have decided I would rather do a trip into DC or just hike two normal days which would get me farther done the trail than putting myself through the pain of a 40+ mile day or I might have done it just to do it and say I did.

I enjoyed the eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's days.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Trail Days!

Take the Wendy's Dollar menu challenge. Where the AT crosse I-81 North of Roanoke VA. Eat one of every dollar menu item. It's about 6 or 8 items.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    My thoughts are "don't struggle to meet other people's standards". Why should you feel bad if you fail or don't take part?
    Why damage your health eating a carton of ice cream because it has become a misguided silly tradition (promoted as a sales stunt)? Why rush Maryland, one of the nicest states with beautiful historical sites that deserve slow contemplation?

This includes the whole thru hiker trip, set up by others and you feel horrible if you fail... who cares what others think!

Make your own standards and events. Run (hike) your own LIFE. It will be happier and more meaningful!
    this all day...all of it!

++ New Posts ++