WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mt. Cammerer Fire Tower

I'm not suggesting that this is a particularly smart idea, but I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to sleep in the Mt Cammerer tower. Or if you *cough* know a friend that did.

Images

You need to read what the WB User Agreement has to say about discussing on WB how to commit illegal acts? *cough*
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

I have found evidence of it, people not only disregard the regulations but also boldly state it by write about it on the structure itself.

Leonidas

We were up there in early October and a sleeping bag was nestled up in the ceiling.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

great.........

another person wanting to break the rules in the Park...

which will lead to more rules and regulations........

thanks......

**** I'm sorry guys, I didn't do my homework on this - just sent a quick post. My "*cough*" wasn't meant to imply I knew this was illegal but only that it'd be dumb as hell to sleep up there in the freezing cold. I should have assumed that this was illegal considering you are only allowed to sleep in reserved campsites/shelters.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    **** I'm sorry guys, I didn't do my homework on this - just sent a quick post. My "*cough*" wasn't meant to imply I knew this was illegal but only that it'd be dumb as hell to sleep up there in the freezing cold. I should have assumed that this was illegal considering you are only allowed to sleep in reserved campsites/shelters.
    Thank you
    Are we serious? Must take us for idiots, stop lying.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

OK, well, honestly sorry guys, I do love and respect the trail. I've never been up there, hadn't read the regs but should have known based on what i said in the above quote from Gambit. Cheers

Images

My "*cough*" wasn't meant to imply I knew this was illegal but only that it'd be dumb as hell to sleep up there in the freezing cold.

its this statement that irks at least me............

you say it would be dumb as hell to sleep up there in the freezing cold-----but i say---how would this be different than sleeping on any other high ridge?

and hence, why the backlash............

Having never actually seen the tower, I would imagine that any wind and cold would be flowing underneath me - the one and only time I used a hammock I froze. Cold sleeper in general. For this reason I generally avoid setting up on ridges.
    TNhiker - You helped me figure a route in a different thread, sorry to irk you here. I get why these posts I fired off made me look like a criminal. Best,

Good grief, the dude gets it and has apologized three times. Relax, people.
    -tagg

I just got back from my annual check-up *cough*
    good for another 20,000 posts!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff;2103572 [B
    I'm not suggesting that this is a particularly smart idea, but I'm wondering if anyone has attempted to sleep in the Mt Cammerer tower. Or if you *cough* know a friend that did.
    Your opening statement says it all , not a smart idea. ~ It was dirty when I was there and it smelled of urine.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Let the good times roll.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've pondered night hiking to the Shuckstack and sleeping in the tower before, but I've never done it. If you just sleep there and don't **** it up I could care less. In fact, it's probably an awesome place to camp!
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    I've pondered night hiking to the Shuckstack and sleeping in the tower before, but I've never done it. If you just sleep there and don't **** it up I could care less. In fact, it's probably an awesome place to camp!
    How you feel is irrelevant to the facts that you're talking about illegal activity.

There are more than enough people that already disregard rules in GSMNP that we do NOT need to be encouraging MORE people to break the rules.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    You didn't turn your head - back you go !!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    You didn't turn your head - back you go !!
    i used my elbow.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    How you feel is irrelevant to the facts that you're talking about illegal activity.

There are more than enough people that already disregard rules in GSMNP that we do NOT need to be encouraging MORE people to break the rules.
    How I feel about it or expressing an opinion about it is a far cry from encouraging someone to do it. The lack of rangers patrolling the park has a lot to do with visitors breaking the rules. The thru-hiker box was so full of permits last time I was there I almost wasn't able to fit my permit in. There's no excuse for those boxes getting overloaded to that degree. Since there will always be visitors breaking the rules regardless, the best we can hope for is that they don't deface, destroy, or ruin things for future visitors.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Images

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    ... the best we can hope for is that they don't deface, destroy, or ruin things for future visitors.
    And breaking the rules is one of the surest ways to ruin things for future visitors. Happens every year on the AT when service providers shut down or lock their doors to AT hikers. Because of people who think they are above the laws and that rules are for lesser mortals.

Not to mention that brazen discussions of how to "cough" commit illegals acts on this public web site is one way to ruin things for future visitors by getting the site scrutinized for the flaunting nature of public analysis of the odds of getting caught?

Let's discuss and justify how to sneak dogs into church hostels that don't allow dogs. Let's discuss and justify how to run out on bills in trail towns. Let's discuss and justify how to carry guns in jurisdictions where we don't have a legal license to do so. Let's discuss and justify consuming alcohol (or other drugs) where our hosts have said no drugs or alcohol.

Or, how about if we cut the crap and police ourselves so the self-entitled don't ruin it for future visitors? That's among the best that we can hope for. It's called peer pressure.

P.S. This is not directed at the OP, but a general rant. Sorry if his tender "cough" feelings might get bruised in the thread by collateral cross-fire.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rain man View Post
    ...or, how about if we cut the crap and police ourselves so the self-entitled don't ruin it for future visitors? That's among the best that we can hope for. It's called peer pressure...
    /\ /\ /\
    ​this!
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

++ New Posts ++